Radio and clock

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dale4ster
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE Goldwing

Radio and clock

Postby dale4ster » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:03 am

Sometimes when i turn on the key the clock and radio dont come on. The radio will work but on visual. Then after a while there is a visual. Intermittent issue.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Radio and clock

Postby Big Blue UK » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:56 am

dale4ster wrote:The radio will work but on visual. Then after a while there is a visual

I would love to hear your accent, because your post makes no sense to me whatsoever :)

dale4ster wrote:but on visual

Should this say 'but no visual'?

I am assuming the display only goes off and comes back on while you are riding?

When the clock and radio display goes off, will anything else display on the LCD panel (air pressure) or is it blank?

Do the dials illuminate, and do ALL the indicator lamps work along the bottom of the dash unit?

If all the LCD display functions intermittently go off , my guess is to check out the connectors behind the dash unit,
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

darryldevaney
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby darryldevaney » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:08 am

The GL1500's are famous for having an intermittent display. Mine usually doesn't display when it is humid or cold, and when it does come back on the clock always has to be reset. There are quite a number of threads on the forum about this problem, but I've just decided to live with it and not worry about it. Only takes a few seconds to reset.
"I just wanna ride..."

dale4ster
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE Goldwing

Postby dale4ster » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:35 am

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what mine is doing. Radio saves presets but the clock needs to be set. The result is the same. Just gonna live with it. Thanks. Dale

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:59 am

Dale - I see in your signature that you live in Grand Blanc. I grew up in Lapeer but live in Wichita, Kansas now. I've ridden my '96 Wing up to see my Dad in Lapeer twice now. Hopefully you are staying safe today, saw that the roads were an icy mess!!
"I just wanna ride..."

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:22 pm

My '97 does the same thing (I believe it's primarily the '96 and '97 models that have this issue). If I'm riding every day, it doesn't happen, but if it's parked for a few days, particularly if it's cold and damp (hey, I'm in the Pacific northwest...it's almost ALWAYS cold and damp!). The warmth of the engine is enough to bring everything back after about 20 minutes running or so.

I don't know if ignoring it will cause it to become a permanent problem or not, and I've chosen to use a small space heater (on "frost watch"), that comes on periodically & blows warm air up into the area at the back of the instruments. It seems to work (display is normal, and the clock keeps time). It uses negligible power - no detectable change in household power consumption since I started doing it. I'm probably just being anal, but it's nice to know that when I go out to start her up, everything's working normally....

firey1
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 abs model

Postby firey1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:17 pm

From what I understand they had a quality issue with the electronic sealant they used in 96/97 breaking down which has caused these issues with the clock and screen

I did the recoating of the circuit board last weekend and i can now wash bike without losing the lcd but I did find the clock still played up
I think that both the circuit boards need to be re coated to fix both problems but away this weekend on a NZ goldwing rally so will strip back down and do the 2nd board behind the lcd to see if this fixes the clock problem but doing the main big board did solve the blank screen issue

Mike

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:18 am

Thre are a LOT of us interested in your results!! Please - let us know what happens!

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 am

I am experiencing something that has my curiousity gene tickled: ever since I removed the factory radio and installed a new stereo my clock has not experienced any blanking issues. Granted, we haven't had any humidity to speak of lately, so it isn't a fully tested notion, but in the past I always had issues when the bike sat outside in the cold, and the last 2 days it has been cold soaked at 25-40 deg F all day long and hasn't had a single issue. Hmmm.....
"I just wanna ride..."

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Hmmm - interesting, but I can't see how they'd be connected. With my bike, it's less the cold than the dampness. Even in below freezing temperatures, my clock & display works fine - it acts up when it's both cold & damp that it fails. The little heater I use seems to keep it dry, rather than warm.

Still, it's a mystery that we'd all like solved!

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:42 pm

Not sure how it relates, but the radio has 4 or 5 wires that connect to the display, which include one labeled "Clock" and one labeled "Blanking". I'm going to keep watching mine to see how it reacts over time without the factory radio installed and will post an update at some point.
"I just wanna ride..."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:28 pm

darryldevaney wrote:Not sure how it relates, but the radio has 4 or 5 wires that connect to the display, which include one labeled "Clock" and one labeled "Blanking". I'm going to keep watching mine to see how it reacts over time without the factory radio installed and will post an update at some point.

Those wires are used to drive the radio frequency display and other radio-related symbology on the LCD. The data that the radio wants the LCD to display is sent from the radio to the LCD display in a digital format, using a proprietary serial protocol. To synchronize the data between the two, so that the LCD processor can decode the data being sent to it by the radio, a "clock" signal is sent - which is just a square wave of a specific frequency. That's what the "clock" wire is that you see. It has nothing to do with the time clock shown on the LCD. The circuitry and control for the clock shown on the LCD is contained entirely on the LCD circuit board.

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:12 pm

Ahh, makes sense now. Well, maybe my current experience is just an anomaly.

Thanks!!

"I just wanna ride..."

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”