Radiator removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Radiator removal

Postby fnickel » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:20 pm

I've been looking for good instructions on radiator removal. I've got the hoses disconnected, except for the crossover pipe, and finding it very tight to get into to work on. Does it help taking the cooling fans out the sides? I don't see a written up procedure on this, and a search has not yielded a comprehensive description. I'm interested in tips and good ideas to make this an easier project. The lack of room to work on is getting me a little paranoid about trying to get the hoses back on in such a tight area. With removing the rads and cooling fans, is that the best way to access the thermostat?

BikerBuck
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1978 GS 750

Re: Radiator removal

Postby BikerBuck » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:51 pm

The thermostat replacement is a time consuming job, mostly from just the amount of disassembly. I'm just finishing up a 2000SE. I found the best way to remove the crossover hose was to get both radiators free of the lower mounting peg. With the radiator hose removed slide them both down the center frame support tube. The crossover hose clip is a bit more accessible. Cooling fans will still have to be removed to gain access to the thermostat. I found the easiest way to get to the 3 bolts on the gooseneck was to remove the air box, loosen the coil pack and use a long extension from above. It's almost a straight shot from this position. Be VERY careful when removing them, they're only 6mm bolts.

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Postby fnickel » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks, I had another go at it last night. I removed the 2 large hoses off each radiator, which then allowed me the flexibility of moving the rads around a little bit, and more access to the clamps. I did get the fan assemblies out, although it was an extremely tight squeeze. It looks like it will probably be a bit of a challenge to get them back in and bolted up. As others have mentioned, the crossover tube was quite hardened. So far, I have not found the source of the leak on the RH side which puddles inboard of the RH cylinder head, but I will keep looking. I'm suspecting that some of the T-joints in the small hoses on the RH side may be contributing but have not confirmed it yet.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Since I was replacing hoses, I just cut the crossover hose in two. When I replaced the radiators, I put the right one in first with the new crossover tube cut extra long. With the fans out, when you put the left radiator back in, you can see how much you need to trim the new crossover tube.
I had to do it several times. I was just overly cautious about cutting off too much. Be sure your new clamp is turned the right way so you can tighten it up after your last cut.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”