Hazard Lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
johnfliesagain
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Anniversary Badge
Yamaha 79 XS750; 80 XS850
Picture of one of my Triples Yamaha xs750 '79 at Timonium Bike Show 2015

Hazard Lights

Postby johnfliesagain » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Well before I take something aprt that I don't need to and then break it:

My Hazard lights won't turn off. From what I can read in the electrical diagrams the power comes from the ING switch, to the relay, and then to the switch.
It then goes from the switch to the bulbs to ground.

So If the lights continue to blink, then it is a stuck switch, right?

I unscrewd the switch housing, but the innards look more complicated than just a spray/claener lube.

Am I on the right track and just have to go further? Ah an unheated garage in 25*F weather!

So far this forum has been great for researching and everyone's help.
John in Baltimore

John in Baltimore
A proud owner of a 2000 1500SE
:D Did I mention it was a Free Gift from a co-worker?

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Hazard Lights

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Had that same problem, myself. More than likely its a stuck switch. Had a heck of a time freeing mine. Then sprayed and worked it. It was good for a while, but I bet it would stick again if I tried it now. Virtually never use it, so I just don't try it. Someday, if I'm into the cluster, I will probably take it apart and clean it properly. But, for now, not an issue.
Anyway, spray and work it, and you will probably be able to free it.

johnfliesagain

Postby johnfliesagain » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:23 pm

O K so I am still working my way around this forum and the way that things are posted and I found the DIY article on :
How to Free Stuck Push Button Switches

All four pages!

I did try the Electronic cleaner, but I guess that with the 25*F weather its just too stuck right now. Too gooey.

Well back to the Q&A forum thanks

John in Baltimore
John in Baltimore

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:40 am

Hey John welcome to the board.
You are on the right track with the cause. My '99 had the same problem and I repaired it by cleaning all the old dielectric grease off the contacts and re-lubing it with a silicone based non-conductive grease. The stuff Honda puts in there is supposed to prevent corrosion, which it does, but after all these years it dries out and gums up. Radio Shack used to sell a good contact cleaner that you could spray in to wash out the old grease but you could get some from Fry's or another such store. Disassembling and cleaning out the old stuff is sort of over the top. Especially because the parts are so small and there is a tiny spring involved that might be hard to replace if it gets away and is lost. DON'T use WD40 or LPS type cleaners. They will attract dirt. The mute button on the other handlebar pod also suffers from the same problem so be wary of that also.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:43 am

If it is "gummy" grease, those 25F temps won't help the process at all. You might try a hair dryer or heat gun (carefully) on it to raise the temp, and then work on it with spray cleaner.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 pm

I am having the same issue with all the cold weather riding I have been doing, so I am glad I found this thread. . . . .untill I can find a good spray cleaner, I will avoid the mute and hazzard buttons ! LOL
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:29 pm

I have, repeatedly, had the same issue with the hazard switch on my 1500. It usually only occurs when I'm on a group ride, in the middle of a large pack of bikes, when turn signals etc. are crucial to safety, and there's nowhere to pull over. :oops:

For those who find themselves in this predicament, I offer the following - using the end of a pocketknife or similar object with a small surface area & a bit of weight, sharply rap on the switch's push-button, as though trying to push it further in. In my case, this has always released the switch. Using a knuckle doesn't produce the required sharp "rap", and simply doesn't work. I know - I've tried everything else.

Despite numerous cleanings, this crops up again after a few months' time. I haven't completely disassembled the left grip switch system, which means there's probably still a bit of hardened OEM grease in there I haven't found. The other option would be to disable the switch completely. I've never actually needed it, and would never leave the bike parked with the hazard lights on (unless the engine was left running, too), as the battery would die in short order anyway.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:54 pm

After reading this, I called a friend of mine who is a electronic engineer repairing medical equipment and presented him with our problem:
I told him we need a contact cleaner that will

A) remove 20 plus year old dialectric grease / gum
B) has a straw so we do not HAVE to take apart the handle bar controls to use on roadside
C) will not eat plastic or paint
D) will clean, lube & protect

He imedeatly recomended a product by Deoxit D-5 spray , it is made by a company named Caig Labratories .
They also offer a stronger solution D-100 for bench cleaning, but it NEEDS to be flushed afterwords or it will keep chewing away at the metal and such.

Besides being available online at Amazon , it is also available at various Guitar Center stores, I am getting mine there tonight .

I hope this helps some folks, and works as good as my buddy swears it will, if not, I will post his number here for everyone to phone bomb him ! LOL J/K
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:37 pm

I sure hope it works! Mind you, in Canada, this stuff goes on Amazon from $40.26 to $109.09 (plus shipping) for a teeny little 5 oz. can :shock:

If it really, really works, I'll spring for a can of it. I'll be waiting to find out your results!!

johnfliesagain

Postby johnfliesagain » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:10 pm

try here: http://www.caig.com/ buy direct
John in Baltimore

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:01 pm

My 97 SE did that right after I bought it. I took the 2 screws out of the bottom of the assembly and sprayed contact cleaner on it, used the red straw to get it right on the parts and spring, played with the button as I sprayed, it came out, I never use the 4 way flashers so it's not a big deal anymore.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

johnfliesagain

Postby johnfliesagain » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:If it is "gummy" grease, those 25F temps won't help the process at all. You might try a hair dryer or heat gun (carefully) on it to raise the temp, and then work on it with spray cleaner.

Well it's now 18*F and I tried the Hair Dryer method ( with the switch open ) sprayed with electronic parts cleaner and popped right out. Exercised it several times, cleanened some more and then added some Liquid Wrench Dry Lube with Ceflon ( I think) well, I'll see what it is like in a couple of hours. :D

Heating the old gunk made all the difference. Thanks for the idea.

Hair Dryer Hmmph! They didn't show me that at the Timonium bike show today.

John in Baltimore
John in Baltimore

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:After reading this, I called a friend of mine who is a electronic engineer repairing medical equipment and presented him with our problem:
I told him we need a contact cleaner that will

A) remove 20 plus year old dialectric grease / gum
B) has a straw so we do not HAVE to take apart the handle bar controls to use on roadside
C) will not eat plastic or paint
D) will clean, lube & protect

He imedeatly recomended a product by Deoxit D-5 spray , it is made by a company named Caig Labratories .
They also offer a stronger solution D-100 for bench cleaning, but it NEEDS to be flushed afterwords or it will keep chewing away at the metal and such.

Besides being available online at Amazon , it is also available at various Guitar Center stores, I am getting mine there tonight .

I hope this helps some folks, and works as good as my buddy swears it will, if not, I will post his number here for everyone to phone bomb him ! LOL J/K

Deoxit is just about the best stuff you can buy...but the price of it reflects that. I have couple tiny (and I mean tiny - like lipstick-sized) aerosol cans that were about the same price as a big can of CRC.

johnfliesagain

Postby johnfliesagain » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:18 pm

WingAdmin : thanks for all the help.
Here is something that I discovered that is not in the Honda Manual, or in the excellent post in another location about the Hazards....

1. After heating with a hair dryer, I found that I had to open the switch unit and tilt the top waaayyy back to get at the actuator. The button you press presses a flat plastic piece that is directly against the inner top of the housing. No Tilt, no good cleaning.

2. After cleaning and relube, in the very cold the button went in O K, but would still stick slightly.

So here is the most important tip I found. If pressing it to release, put forward pressure on the button, and it releases easily. Forward as in towards the center of the handle bars/steering stem. Perhaps there is a wear point that "helps" it stick, and the fouled lube is just part of the solution.

Tried the same pressure pressing to release on the cruise control button, with same result. Press towards the steering stem to help release!

John in Baltimore

PS
Now if anyone has a spare auto trans for my SAAB 900 (1989) the broke last night

John in Baltimore

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”