How hot are your mufflers?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

How hot are your mufflers?

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:50 am

I was wondering if anybody can tell me just how hot the mufflers on a 1500 get. I realize there will be a range of Temps depending on ambient air temp. What I need to know is what is the upper temp actually measured. I was thinking of recoating the mufflers, as the chrome has started to show its age, with a high temp powder coating but need to know how hot is hot. I don't want to spend the big bucks on the very Hi temp powder if I don't need to. Can someone out there with a digital thermometer read their pipes for me please. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How hot are your mufflers?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:11 am

It will be a while before I can measure mine...but given that they are literally about 1 inch below the plastic saddlebags, and while the saddlebags might get a bit warm, they never get hot/soft/melt, I'm going to guess that you would be safe without the expensive high-temp powder coat. The only exception might be at the front end, where they clamp onto the pipes from the collector box.

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks WingAdmin, I was thinking the same thing but wanted to have actual numbers just to satisfy that OCD part of my brain, maybe somebody me a little farther south can help after all it is summer in Oz. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

AdamMBA
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Postby AdamMBA » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:13 pm

Interesting... I would like to know the same question. Rather than wait for due diligence, I went ahead and purchased the high temp spray paint (for bbq grills, etc) and sprayed the hell out of my pipes (off the bike of course). The paint can said it's good up to 1200 degrees. A day or two later after reinstalling, I fired it up for a test and could smell the paint heading up. I didn't let it run long as I was working on other issues as well. Ill get out there in the next week or so and give a more detailed update on the high temp performance paint... like if it caught the bike on fire or not!

Cheers!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:03 am

My curiosity is rising. What color are you thinking of powder coating the mufflers?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:04 am

1200 degree is possible at exhaust manifold but not at lower pipes. My bike has DAYTONA Exhaust with baffles and front connection at 15 minute run was less than 140 degree and 110 degree at end, no moving air. About the same after a short ride. Heat can fool and 120 degree can leave a nasty burn.

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:06 pm

If you're handy with a spray gun, look at the air dry version of cerakote. Lots of colors, once air dried it goes up well over 1000F.
http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/
Their high high temp and ceramics go to 1800F http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishes/
Application is easy.
I did Cerakote on guns for a few years. Durable stuff if the base is done right. Not done right and it peels like a sunburned back.

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:53 am

Thanks for the feedback guys,

dingdong wrote:My curiosity is rising. What color are you thinking of powder coating the mufflers?

Seeing as my bike is already black and the new paint scheme is black with charcoal grey inserts and candy red hi- lights, I will be coating the mufflers black to make them "disappear". I have never been a fan of chrome anyways, it costs too much, it takes too much effort to keep it looking good etc.
Powder coating can be good up to 1700*F but that powder is pricey, regular decorative powder is cured at 400*F and would probably be OK for these mufflers as long as it wasn't a gloss finish. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 am

RoadRogue wrote:I have never been a fan of chrome anyways, it costs too much, it takes too much effort to keep it looking good etc.
Powder coating can be good up to 1700*F but that powder is pricey, regular decorative powder is cured at 400*F and would probably be OK for these mufflers as long as it wasn't a gloss finish. 8-)

Yeah, I hear ya on the chrome. I hate it. PO for the bike seemed to love aftermarket chrome...but there's so much of it that's plastic, I'm kinda screwed. I'm going to try the spray vinyl, if I don't like it, I'll peel it or gonna dump it and replace it with stock. It's only money. :lol:

Not sure if you're powdering it yourself, or paying someone else to do it, but...something to consider...

...the only high temp powders I've ever seen or used won't get you anywhere near 1700F other than 'ooops, I'd better slow down' kinda deals. 1200F is the highest stuff I've ever used, and that wasn't all that much different cost wise than normal powders. Most regular powders I bought were about $12-15 a pound. High temps are running about $22lb.

Most powders cure from 270ish through about 450F for 30-40 minutes or until it transitions from powder to liquid and off-gases. The ceramics can take you to 2000F and you don't need an oven to do it. The cerakote I mentioned above can be applied with a small spray gun and if you can keep your hands off it for 5 days ;) will last a good long time. There are industrial ceramics (not cerakote) that are spray liquids that need to full cure at 700-750F for an hour, or 450 and then used in an operating environment to their 'normal' temperatures to cure completely.

While most powder do CURE under 500, they don't like going much over that or maintaining anything more than a normal operating temperature without color shifting. Just about every color I've ever done likes either getting lighter or darker. Yellows, some reds and shades of blue/green and most whites would go darker...'burn' if you will. The darker colors like the bronzes and blacks seemed to want to get lighter for some reason. Mufflers will probably be fine, but you'll always have the chance that they'll shift color wise. Do NOT get matte finish powders. One swath across it with a polish (wax) and you'll never get it off. Get semi or gloss, but even some of them can have problems with polishes. Powder coating is just 'plastics', some harder than others, but they're still plastic (epoxy, polyester and a boatload of others mixed to form the paint, then powdered)

And yes, I did this for about 5 years. Had some HyperSmooth guns, a 3x4x7' oven that would hold motorcycle frames. In 09 I did an entire Concours as a giveaway bike for the Concours Owners Group (that turned out to be free for them after spending about $4K in parts out of pocket :roll: bastards ) Frame to every engine component, wheels,and everything that can come off a motorcycle got powdered and baked. Headers were done in high temp powder....then stripped and done again. Powder doesn't work well on sportbike exhausts...just sayin'.

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:41 am

Thanks for the input Millerized, I too worked at a Powder coating shop for 5 years. Our oven was a little bigger, 8'x6'x20'. This was about 15 years ago and I am sure I have forgotten a few details on the various powders we used. I powder coated my Harley while I worked there. Everything from the frame to engine to rims, spokes and nipples. I used a powder call dragon black or lava black on the pipes with very good results. Only a very slight discolouring right at the exhaust port, it turned a slight lighter shade after about a year of heavy use. Overall I was very pleased with the various powders I used , some hi gloss, some semi gloss and some flat black. The only draw back was that the hi gloss black showed scratches easily. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”