GL1500 Ignition cover needed brown preference

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tnkrtoy
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Interstate

GL1500 Ignition cover needed brown preference

Postby tnkrtoy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:37 am

I am in the process of bringing back to life a 94 GL1500 and the ignition cover is the one with the hole for the all volume control. That is all good on my bike but the cover itself looks like someone had a small fire and is wrinkled in places. I guess could use little bondo and sand and paint but if I can find one to just replace would be my first choice. The one I have is brown and the bike color is maroon

Thanks

My email is ifihadwings.today@gmail.com

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500 Ignition cover needed brown preference

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:39 pm

tnkrtoy wrote:I am in the process of bringing back to life a 94 GL1500 and the ignition cover is the one with the hole for the all volume control. That is all good on my bike but the cover itself looks like someone had a small fire and is wrinkled in places. I guess could use little bondo and sand and paint but if I can find one to just replace would be my first choice. The one I have is brown and the bike color is maroon

Thanks

My email is ifihadwings.today@gmail.com

It's not from a fire, it's from your windshield. I'm guessing you have (or had at one time) a tall windshield, like a Tulsa Tall. With that windshield, if you park with the sun behind you, the windshield will reflect and focus the sunlight down to a spot on the dash or ignition cover, and heat it enough that the plastic gets soft and wrinkles. It's a very common problem - mine has a wrinkled ignition ring as well, for the same reason!

Make sure you park with the sun in front of you, or bring along an old T-shirt to put over the windshield to prevent it.

tnkrtoy
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Interstate

Re: GL1500 Ignition cover needed brown preference

Postby tnkrtoy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Gosh, you are correct it does have a tall windshield. I thought someone may have put a heat blanket or something as such at one time. Makes sense now. I found on for 25 bucks including freight. I will not do the repair thing.

I think I have an accelerator pump problem. I ordered one rebuild kit. There is only one for both carbs or are there two that I need to buy. My engine will not accelerate but idles perfect. Trying to get the parts here before diving down into that area. This bike sat with bad fuel for 5-8 years. So I suspect that there a a lot of deposits on jets. May pull and boil

THANKS!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”