Mystery Switch on '96 Aspy

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Michael Faircloth
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing Aspencade

Mystery Switch on '96 Aspy

Postby Michael Faircloth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:00 pm

In a recent topic on "turn signals" the Wing Admin said that there were 3 screws holding the turn signal housing on.... I remembered only 2 .... soooo I went out to look and found only 2, but at the same time I found a micro switch under the clutch lever that is not connected to anything. There are no extra plugs that would be able to plug in to this switch. I have added a pic of the switch looking up from under the handle bars with a mirror.... you can see the switch and the 2 prongs sticking out with no plug.... anyone Know what this is actually used for?
Mike in Naples
Attachments

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Mystery Switch on '96 Aspy

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:49 pm

There should be two micro switches under your clutch MC
One is your cruise cancel switch and the other is you clutch switch

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Correct. This is the start switch:

And this is the cruise disconnect switch:

Now the question is, where are the wires that should be connected to your cruise disconnect switch?

Michael Faircloth

Postby Michael Faircloth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Now the question is, where are the wires that should be connected to your cruise disconnect switch?

Wing,
That's a good question....I know "I" have not lost the wires... I have never yet had that part of the handbars apart. Guess I now have to take the bike for a ride and see if pulling in the clutch stops the cruise...sounds like a good excuse to go for a ride. If it does NOT work, then I guess I will be disassembling things to find the missing plug.. :mrgreen:
Mike in Naples

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:20 am

If you bought the bike used there's always the possibility the PO changed the left bar switch housing from a bike with Cruise.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Michael Faircloth

Postby Michael Faircloth » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:58 am

FM,
The bike is an Aspy that came with cruise... and it works great... I have never tried to stop the cruise by pulling in the clutch... I always tap the brake.. which stops the cruise just fine.
Mike in Naples

Michael Faircloth

Postby Michael Faircloth » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 am

Surprise surprise...
Today I took the handle bar cover off the left side and found several disconnected wires. I have attached a pic in hopes that they can be identified. There are 4 wires in a group .. all with female round connectors.. colors are: white with black dash, orange with black dash, gray with black dash, and solid green..... then there is a large square rubber plug with 2 female spade connectors that are green, and another, black with yellow strip... that plug looks like it "could" go to the cruise switch that stated this whole thread.
Thanks for any info on the wires...
Mike in Naples
Attachments

Michael Faircloth

Postby Michael Faircloth » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Update...
I hooked the large square plug to the "cruise disconnect switch" and now it works as intended.... I have no idea WHY it was disconnected. The other 4 wires with the round female ends I think must have been there for an "SE" model bike and went to the handlebar section of the CB on an SE model. I just put them back under the handle bar cover. That handle bar cover is a PITA to get back on... but now all done and everything works.
Mike In Naples

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Michael Faircloth wrote:Surprise surprise...
Today I took the handle bar cover off the left side and found several disconnected wires. I have attached a pic in hopes that they can be identified. There are 4 wires in a group .. all with female round connectors.. colors are: white with black dash, orange with black dash, gray with black dash, and solid green..... then there is a large square rubber plug with 2 female spade connectors that are green, and another, black with yellow strip... that plug looks like it "could" go to the cruise switch that stated this whole thread.
Thanks for any info on the wires...
Mike in Naples

As you've figured out, the wires for the cruise disconnect switch are green with blue, and black with yellow.

The green, white, orange and grey wires, are as you have guessed, for the CB switch pod.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”