1500 engraved radio trim, is there a market?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

1500 engraved radio trim, is there a market?

Postby millerized » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:49 pm

I've finally got my engraver working Friday, and I started wondering....what could I make today.
I'm working on a bunch of plates for the Concours Owners Group "Over The Pond" program right now...but that's almost done for this run.
While waiting for a few plates to run out, I started looking at the 1500 in my garage. That 'clear' plastic cover/trim plate that goes around the radio buttons...lets play with that for a while.
Wasn't that hard, but the possibilities are pretty much endless if I wanted to make them. I started more thought to possible colors of the plates, designs between the buttons....maybe a guy could find a market for something like this.
I've seen the label that sticks over the plastic. It's great, but kinda bland. How about something a bit different than chrome? (I HATE CHROME!!!)Color to match the bike? Silver? Gold? Red, purple, green...the color selections out there are amazing. Marbles, woodgrain...and not just a sticker either. 1/16" outdoor rated plastic and heavy duty outdoor tapes for something that will outlast the other plastic on the dash.

So, the question becomes...is there a market for it? At a minimum, a 16yr old bike...still a need for parts like this? I'm thinking yes, but what say ye? Guestimated value of something like that? I know what the label costs :o Would something like this be worth more or less?

Photo is a sample of what will/can be engraved. It'll fit right over the existing plate, nice beveled edges around each button. Contrasting colors...say Gold with black under it. Lots of different colors have white under them. Would make for a nice contrast. The map of the USA can be swapped out with just about anything clipart or line drawing you can think of. Names, places, groups....you name it, it could go in there. Again, IF there's a market for something like it. I'll burn one out in a few days and revisit it. Hmmm...that's what I get for thinking.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: 1500 engraved radio trim, is there a market?

Postby joeincalif » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Of course everything depends on price. I have seen a few people asking what can be done for that faded part. i have owned 3 1500 wings and never had one of those of any other part of the bike fade.
I think the wording on the buttons will fade faster due to pushing them all the time.
Here is the radio on my 97 SE
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:37 pm

I really like the idea, but I am changing to a aftermarket marine radio, so I have to pass. . . . Beyond that, I would be a player.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:33 am

I like the idea, I would have to think hard on the art for myself. The map is a good idea though. Do you have a ballpark price for each piece? 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:57 pm

RoadRogue wrote:I like the idea, I would have to think hard on the art for myself. The map is a good idea though. Do you have a ballpark price for each piece? 8-)

Hadn't even gotten to that point yet. Betting over $20, but under $50. Those chrome covers are over $40 :?
Nawh, I think I can handle under $30 shipped. Let you know precisely shortly. Lots of interest in the Concours plates right now, and I just got nailed with double shifts at my day job on/off for the next 26wks. At least I'll get riding time.

I WILL be experimenting, and when you see photo's, I'll have a price with them. Gonna have to buy some scrap radio's as well to measure the tops. I have the 'normal' SE radio...it'll be a project ;)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”