Cruise light and cruise problem?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Cruise light and cruise problem?

Postby Big Bob » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:41 pm

It's Feb. 26th here in MN and lucky us we're going to be mid 50's tomorrow! Pulled wing out, fresh tabs, started right up, aired up tires went for a short test ride. After a bit I got up to speed and tried to set cruise, no go. Tried several time, nothing, so I turned cruise on button and light off and when I went to turn it back on, nothing no light no cruise. Got home took some radio shack contact cleaner sprayed behind switch, no change, checked fuse, good, can here micro switches click, still no light comes on. Yes I should and will take apart the switch assembly and try to clean it better, just fishing for ideas, when you shut bike off, then turn key back on both lights come on for a quick second and then shut off, is this normal? I believe so, any thoughts from any one would be appreciated, should be o.k. for an early spring ride? All else seems o.k. worked fine when I stored it last fall. Thanks in advance

Bob

Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
143,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Cruise light and cruise problem?

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:51 am

Simple things 1st - did you try pushing outwards on both your clutch and front brake levers?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:40 am

Big Bob wrote: After a bit I got up to speed and tried to set cruise, no go. Tried several time, nothing, so I turned cruise on button and light off and when I went to turn it back on, nothing no light no cruise.

The only thing you did was to push switch and now the light won't come on. Switches are the most likely problem as to the no operation with both needing attention.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Big Bob

Postby Big Bob » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:05 am

Dusty Boots, I did push clutch lever forward, slight sticking on micro switch (clicking noise) seemed to work and made no difference, don't remember if I tried brake lever side will check. ct1500 I too believe the switches are dirty/bad, cruise on/off switch didn't feel very good operating it. 2 years ago I replaced the turn signal/horn control because the spring and guts of the switch were shot. The bike is 20 years young, things just don't last forever I guess........ ;) Probably ride today, 56 degree's in MN in Feb., unheard of, day off, limited, wind therapy, priceless!! :D

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:13 am

When you turn the key on and both lights come on, that is checking the light bulb itself.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Big Bob

Postby Big Bob » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 pm

So when I went out to start bike and leave on our ride, when I turned the key"on" cruise light stayed on. I thought that's interesting, left it on and after riding and getting the bike up to operating temp, speed over 50 mph I set the cruise and no problem light on and cruise set. Used cruise multiple times today with no problem. Huh, odd.......well I will take a day and separate the switch and clean with contact cleaner real good. Thanks for the feedback everyone! :D

Bon
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:31 pm

Um,,

I would say something like (now it's working for you) If it ain't broke - don't fix it. I would leave it until it does stop working, until then I would squirt some contact cleaner into the switch a few times over a few days or a few rides. It won't hurt, and you probably do not need to open up the switch. :)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”