1997 GL1500 trouble starting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Loveci
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Trike

1997 GL1500 trouble starting

Postby Loveci » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:54 am

My uncle died, and I inherited his 1997 GL1500 Trike. At first I couldn't get it started. I have replaced the gas and put a little seafoam in the gas tank. We were able to ride it a week ago and it started fine yesterday. Today.......it started for 15 seconds and shut off. It cranks and starts with ether. There is no pressure in gas tank. Without ether it won't run. Vacuum leak? It clearly isn't getting gas.

tnkrtoy
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Interstate

Re: 1997 GL1500 trouble starting

Postby tnkrtoy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:03 pm

I would suggest you download the PDF file manual for your GL1500. I was having the same problems and still finding and repairing things...the manual is invaluable to be able to print off pages in the trouble shooting section. The tab is at the top of the page and says "Manuals".

Two things that I first fixed to be able to start:

1.Replaced fuel filter and tested by pushing the starter button and fuel flowed out the new filter. They are known to cause problems with fuel flow if they were cheap replacements and they dissolve.
2.Bypassed the autofuel shutoff with petcock I had only during this repair period. Again checked when key on push start and fuel should run out other side of petcock

Checked the AFS (Auto Fuel Shutoff) next to gas cap. This has a vacuum line going to it. Many have replace it with a petcock. It's purpose is to shut off the fuel to the carbs so that if a float is stuck the cylinders do not fill up with gas and then if you try to start gas does not compress like air it can cause a fuel lock that will usually ruin you day and cause physical damage. You can order a repair kit from several places.

The procedure for checking to see carbs are getting fuel is to take hose loose going to carbs and crank engine and look for flow of fuel out of Auto Fuel Shutoff valve in front of gas cap.

Now engine starts first second but smooth idle only so looks like I will be rebuilding the carbs and the vacuum system under the carbs.

Forgot to mention I also replaced the main filter in the filter airbox. Old one looked like critters had made home.

Most important download manual and start reading "trouble shooting"

Good luck

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”