Stainless braided brake lines installation

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Stainless braided brake lines installation

Postby GillesGLW » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Switzerland! As the weather is quite nice these days, I'm trying to work a bit on the bike and continue my "global refurbishment".

So far I managed to re-wire all the back of the bike and now all the lights are working as expected.

My current challenge is with the brakes that I'm currently trying to re-juvenate replacing the internal elements as well as the brake pads. And as the bike is currently on the lift, I took the opportunity to replace my brake lines that are getting old.

While trying to replace the rear brake line, I figured out that the Goldwing technical manual was stating that the power regulator has to be removed in order to install the new brake line. I'm taking about this part here:

Did anyone replace his/her brake line? Did you remove the regulator to do that or is there an alternative? I don't mind removing the battery and the regulator, but I wonder if there is a smarter way to do that!

Thanks!
Gilles

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stainless braided brake lines installation

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:53 pm

So much stuff has to come out to gain access to replace that line, that even though I have had the new replacement stainless line on hand, it has remained on my "to do" list for quite a few years now. One day....maybe when I have a reason to get that all taken apart for something else.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:27 pm

I have HEARD it is a big enough pain in the tush, that I am considering just doing the front two lines, the ones that show . . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Postby GillesGLW » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:34 am

Some good news for the day!

I decided this morning to start the job and replace the rear line. It took me approximatively 2 hours, including a discussion with my neighbour (... "you are again working on your bike?"...).
Appart from the fact that having small hands will help to remove the power regulator, it's quite an easy job. I will post some pictures later.

In fact, the only challenge is to remove the regulator which is taking quite a lot of space, below the fuel tank. Once done, the brake lines a easily accessible and the job can be quickly done.

No worries, it was the first time for me and it went well! :D

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:26 pm

thats good to hear, like WingAdmin, I did my front lines and have been putting off replacing the rear for a couple of years now. It was just too buried under all that stuff, I always said when I have it torn down far enough for another reason I will install the rear line. it still hangs on the wall...... maybe with this new knowledge I will bite the bullet and get it installed 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

wsunate
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby wsunate » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:26 am

I just bought stainless brake lines and started on the rear line first. Gave up because I couldn't see how to remove power regulator and then wasn't sure I'd be able to loosen the line. And worse, was concerned I'd not be able to get replacement line air tight. I'd love to see how you did it. I've still got the bike on the rack. All calipers getting rebuilt. Front right disc replaced. Rear disc replaced.

Should stop on dime when I'm done!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”