Amazing what a little maintenance does

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Amazing what a little maintenance does

Postby millerized » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:41 pm

99 SE, one owner until I got it. What looked to be "shop' serviced, meaning stuff was done half-assed/half done. Had to fix that.

Several leaky hoses replaced, pulled and re-did the carbs, new belts and tensioners, new plugs, lots of screws, studs and bolts. Even took a chance on the timing advance wheel. Started without the choke, and the surge was still there. Just finished the sync and idle jets adjust...holy crap. Talk about smooth! :shock:

I expected it to run better, but wow! :shock: Absolutely no surge. No hesitation when I crack the throttle. I'm still on the lift, and it'll be a few days before it gets out of the garage (another snowstorm predicted for the coming weekend). But wow....this is the GL1500 that used to start and run with a nickel on the case. Just hoping what shows up on the lift is what shows up on the street.

firey1
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 abs model

Re: Amazing what a little maintenance does

Postby firey1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:59 pm

yes taking it to a proper honda dealer doesnt always mean the job is done right this is my bike after having a new tyre put on by a honda dealer could hear scraping when braking so I stripped it back down had been rubbing on the inside of the saddle bag
Attachments

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Nice work.

Getting rid of that slight hesitation and surge is a thorough service of the carbs and a degree of patience. But I think mainly to those fine nozzles at the top of each carb linked to the accelerator pump. When mine got sorted - the small mesh filters were clogged and the jets were badly clogged, plus a leaking pump from two very old O rings. Once they were pristine again - no more problems, and to help them stay clean I run some fuel injector cleaner through my fuel every tank full, and it has not faltered in the last few thousand miles running.

:)

millerized

Postby millerized » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Reading is fundamental. I was having a 'time' of getting the carbs to sync up. Until I read that the left one doesn't adjust. LOL...I spent 30 minutes trying to get it to do 'something'..... After reading that, it took less than a minute.
Also found out that the carbs run dry when I take off the left side vacuum hose from the manifold. Guessing it's hooked somehow to the petcock? So, learning, reading and doing...what I'm best at.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:02 pm

millerized wrote:Reading is fundamental. I was having a 'time' of getting the carbs to sync up. Until I read that the left one doesn't adjust. LOL...I spent 30 minutes trying to get it to do 'something'..... After reading that, it took less than a minute.
Also found out that the carbs run dry when I take off the left side vacuum hose from the manifold. Guessing it's hooked somehow to the petcock? So, learning, reading and doing...what I'm best at.

You got it. The vacuum hose operates the petcock, so when there is no vacuum there, the petcock closes.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:29 pm

millerized wrote:Reading is fundamental. I was having a 'time' of getting the carbs to sync up. Until I read that the left one doesn't adjust. LOL...I spent 30 minutes trying to get it to do 'something'..... After reading that, it took less than a minute.

Why are you running the bike with the #12 vac line off the manifold?

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Just one more reason I like to have the original factory service manual and this forum for more intimate information from users with more experience than I. I don't like taking anything to someone else for repair/service as I don't know who I can trust. If you want it done right, do it yourself fits here. Read...Read...READ. Ask questions. Then DIY.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

millerized

Postby millerized » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:15 pm

spiralout wrote:

Center hose, left side...isn't that the one to hook the gauge for sync?
Center plug on right, center hose on left?
If it's another hose, why use a different length runner to sync off of?

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:50 pm

millerized wrote:
spiralout wrote:

Center hose, left side...isn't that the one to hook the gauge for sync?
Center plug on right, center hose on left?
If it's another hose, why use a different length runner to sync off of?

Yep, yep. You're correct. I was thinking the #12 to the petcock was on the #6 cylinder intake but that's the line for the PAIR solenoid. Many beers tonight :oops:

millerized

Postby millerized » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:04 am

spiralout wrote:Yep, yep. You're correct. I was thinking the #12 to the petcock was on the #6 cylinder intake but that's the line for the PAIR solenoid. Many beers tonight :oops:

I'm appalled....

that you're not sharing said beer!

( I really need to get a large scale schematic of the hoses and print it out. That small book one ain't worth a hoot!)

millerized

Postby millerized » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Popped the rear bags off to get to all the stuff under it. :o
popped open the fill plug for the rear, and I could tell I was going to be unhappy.
The smell that came out of there comes from one thing....old oil. Old, worn out used oil.
Popped off the bottom drain plug....about 3oz comes out. That's it. 3oz of pure black tar. Sprayed it with brake cleaner, drained, sprayed, drained...black tar. The drain plug is magnetic, and luckily not a lot of goop stuck to it when it came out, and very little sticks to a heavier magnet dragged through the now thinned muck.
I've had 25K oil on my Concours that didn't look this bad.
I'll keep hitting it with the cleaner, let it drain and refill it with some new. Sad to say, but I don't think this has ever been done before.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:27 pm

I would probably fill it with some kerosene or similar, and rotate the wheel by hand for a few minutes to maybe loosen any old crud in there, then drain it out. Maybe do that once or twice - fill with a small amount of gear oil (only enough - maybe 3oz) then rotate to absorb any kerosene left over then drain and refill with your new oil.

Recently changed oil in a 30 year old 7 ton excavator and we had to poke a hole through the tar in the sump after removing the drain plug to get anything to come out....Two oil changes with filters in the last 4 hours of operation have it now looking and sounding a lot better.

millerized

Postby millerized » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:19 am

So much for riding it tomorrow. Took the shaft off to grease it up....rust on the thing. To me, only means water coming in somewhere. Greased it up, set it aside while I took a look at the universal. Pulled the pivot out, peeled back the boot...yup, big gaping hole in it. Universal is pristine with no play at all, but the boot has to go. Everything is greased and waiting to be reinstalled when the boot gets here.

Decided, while I wait, to go ahead and rebuild the calipers while I'm in here. I know what the fluid looked like when I first bled them...I'm guessing the pistons don't look much better. The clutch slave cylinder was a mess, I'm sure these are just as bad. So, while I wait on parts, I'm going to fire up the engraver and make someone some money.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Aussie81Interstate wrote:I would probably fill it with some kerosene or similar, and rotate the wheel by hand for a few minutes to maybe loosen any old crud in there, then drain it out. Maybe do that once or twice - fill with a small amount of gear oil (only enough - maybe 3oz) then rotate to absorb any kerosene left over then drain and refill with your new oil.

Recently changed oil in a 30 year old 7 ton excavator and we had to poke a hole through the tar in the sump after removing the drain plug to get anything to come out....Two oil changes with filters in the last 4 hours of operation have it now looking and sounding a lot better.

I do the same thing - I spray out the rear end with brake cleaner as I rotate it, letting the accumulated goop come out. I let it drip for a while, then fill it partway with gear oil, spin it for a bit, then drain that (contaminated) gear oil before doing the final fill and seal up.

As for horrible oil stories - I had a friend who leased a brand new Honda Civic a number of years ago. After five years and 75,000 miles, he turned it in. That car still had the oil (or sludge, or whatever it was at that point) in it that it came with from the factory - he never changed it once. Think about that the next time you consider buying an off-lease car!

millerized

Postby millerized » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:27 pm

Caliper rebuild kits came today. Of course, working 15hr+ days keeps me from doing anything until the weekend. Now if Ron Ayers gets me the driveshaft boot in time for my weekend maintenance...might be able to ride next week. Otherwise, it'll have to wait another week. Good thing is that I'm getting a minimum of 4hrs a day comp time to use later...going to be lots of riding time later in the year when this project at work is over.

millerized

Postby millerized » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:46 pm

WOOHOO....the boot will be here tomorrow. Looks like I'll have the bike back on the road shortly. Then I can test the new turn signal relay I built...see if it will work on the self-cancel side of things.

millerized

Postby millerized » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Rebuilt the rear caliper this morning, then waited.
3:09 the part shows up.
7:00 I could have been riding if I didn't want to test ride it first in the daylight.
From driveshaft out, to rideable in just under 4hrs.
I think that's pretty dern good for an old fart like me.
I must have been lucky, the driveshaft boot went in twice just fine. I had to pull it out to put in the universal, then slipped it right back in.
Of course, rain tomorrow last I checked. Rain every day except wednesday this week. So much for rushing to get it together.

millerized

Postby millerized » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:49 am

Wow! Everything from the timing wheel to the carb work has made the bike I bought into the bike I remember test riding in 1995. Ssssssmooooooth, powerful and comfortable.
Still have to do the front end work. Since it was chocked in the lift face first, I couldn't mess with it. BUT, the front end work is easy to do with reverse. Just back right up onto the lift and clamp down on the rear tire and pop off the extensions. (http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Cycle-Lift is what I use, worth every penny now, going on 10yrs with it.)
The timing wheel or the carb work took care of the hesitation off idle, either one did it. Bike is smooth and solid up through 5K with now no flat spots. Just pulls like a truck through 5th.
One thing I did notice, is under heavy acceleration between first and second, there was a backfire. Just one, just what sounded like one side and never again afterwards. Now I only hit it hard like that once, but none of the other times did it even sound funny or even slightly humorous. Just did what it was supposed to do.

Anyway, I now have the bike I'd wanted, even if it did take a bit of work to get it that way. Even with the new stereo, I still have less than $6K in it...and that's still one heck of a bargain in my mind.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”