Dont always trust a honda service center

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
firey1
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 abs model

Dont always trust a honda service center

Postby firey1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Had the local honda dealer put a new back tyre on my 96 aspy a few weeks ago before the south island NZ goldwing rally while on the rally two up and loaded could hear a scraping sound when braking got home and pulled the left saddle bag off thinking it was pads but found this when I did (see photos )

the mechanic had completely missed putting the brake calliper back into the shock retaining bolt resulting in it rubbing into the saddle bag
bit scary thinking it was only holding on by a couple of cast struts
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Dont always trust a honda service center

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:57 pm

That's pretty scary. I'm sure you had some stern words with the service center....?

firey1

Postby firey1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:16 pm

WingAdmin wrote:That's pretty scary. I'm sure you had some stern words with the service center....?

Sure did making them replace the saddle bag and refund the charge for fitting tyre

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:19 pm

Just another reason why I don't take any bike to a 'service' shop.
DIY is justification for buying more tools and learning more skills, neither of which will go bad if maintained.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Actually that's easy to do, done it twice on my 1500, BUT!!! I double-check before buttoning up the bodywork.
NO EXCUSE for a shop.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

firey1

Postby firey1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm

FM-USA wrote:Actually that's easy to do, done it twice on my 1500, BUT!!! I double-check before buttoning up the bodywork.
NO EXCUSE for a shop.

My oldest son is a bike mechanic and was horrified was always drummed into him esp working on big road bikes to always double check everything
I will be doing all the work now on my bike after this

One good thing tho is my wife bought me a new tool chest LOL
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Good thing you didn't try to brake when rolling backwards - it would have grabbed that caliper bracket, spun it around backward, probably broken the brake line, and done who knows what else kind of damage.

firey1

Postby firey1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Good thing you didn't try to brake when rolling backwards - it would have grabbed that caliper bracket, spun it around backward, probably broken the brake line, and done who knows what else kind of damage.

Yes it's very scary thinking what if

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:02 pm

My nearest town has a Honda Shop to avoid (for service). Took my 1500 there once and their only mechanic could not get the rear tire back on. He also installed the wrong rotor on this same rear tire during the same visit... There was more too and I don't wanna write a book, I wrote the whole debacle up in our shop reviews on this site... But I think it's rare to find a bad Honda Shop... Most nowadays don't work on older machines anyway. I do have an outstanding non dealer affiliated service shop that is wonderful and works proudly on old bikes and on Honda's, Goldwings etc with a formerly Honda certified mechanic...
Last edited by flogger on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

firey1

Postby firey1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:10 pm

flogger wrote:My nearest town has a Honda Shop to avoid (for service). Took my 1500 there once and their only mechanic could not get the rear tire back on. He also installed the wrong rotor on this same rear tire during the same visit... There was more too and I don't wanna write a book, I wrote the whole debacle up in our shop reviews on this site... But I think it's rare to find a bad Honda Shop... Most nowadays don't work on older machines anyway. I do have an outstanding non dealer affiliated service shop that is wonderful and works proudly on old bikes and on Honda's, Goldwing etc with a formerly Honda certified mechanic...

this is the only honda shop in timaru and I know they service around 5-8 wings that are local
I went to them thinking they would have better knowledge and know how to work on the wings

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 pm

What a lucrative business someone could have opening a chain of shops catering to OLDER THAN 10 year old bikes. :roll:

Plenty of fair sized stores closed... most have tall ceilings... 2 or 3 shelf indoor storage... exhaust sound test room... burnout room... JUST takes someone with "The Want".

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:02 pm

FM-USA wrote:What a lucrative business someone could have opening a chain of shops catering to OLDER THAN 10 year old bikes. :roll:

Plenty of fair sized stores closed... most have tall ceilings... 2 or 3 shelf indoor storage... exhaust sound test room... burnout room... JUST takes someone with "The Want".

Start off as a neat hobby, morph into a full time job. As long as their is not time limit, and cost is not an issue, and it doesn't impact on your riding, it would be a nice way to keep active. People do want to have their bikes looked after, and a lot prefer to not do it themselves - they just want to ride!! Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:13 pm

Let us know when you open one up in Jacksonville, Florida. There's plenty of those closed up stores here and you could be open at night so the repairs could be done and ready for daylight riding. Seriously though, the Honda dealers really don't work much on our older beauties. They can't even give me any info on the 1500s when I try to find out something important. And then try to get parts for these bikes, it's almost always backorder time for your parts. I luckily have found a local private shop that can get the OEM parts I need for a better price than the Honda dealer. And pretty quick, too.
It's a good thing that I am a fixer of all things mechanical, and keep factory service manuals on everything I own. The only time I have a problem is when it's an electronic problem. There I'm lost.
Russell / GWRRA

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:12 am

firey1 wrote:One good thing tho is my wife bought me a new tool chest LOL

Good on ye. I hope she filled it with tools. My wife gives me gift certificates to tool shops and suppliers. At my age, it is about time she stopped, LMAO. I now have three roll arounds like yours, full. Anybody want to bid in an auction for full tool roll arounds?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:37 pm

I REALLY need to get a FSM asap, and will probably order one today.

I am lucky, here in Oklahoma we have one dealer that works on older 'Wings and does a good job ( so far anyway ), Shawnee Honda in Shawnee Ok if you ever need it.

Plus we have a GREAT mom & pop shop ( Wing Enterprises ) in Oklahoma City that has been open like 30 years or more and PREFERS to work on GL1500s and older, but does work on GL1800s too of course . http://www.wingenterprisesokc.com Oh, Bart at Wing Enterprises also does lawn mowers and ATVs if needed. . . .

He is who does my work, until I get a garage or something that gets me out of the heat of the summer or cold of the winter so I can STAND to work on my bike !
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm next door to you in Arkansas. You've also got a Honda dealer there in Enid, (I think it was) that went out of his way to get me back on the road when I broke down there.
I was riding a Shadow at the time and I was grateful he got me right in and back on the road in a hurry. I was stuck and he could have charged me a buttload of bucks, but they were very fair and friendly towards this stranger in need of assistance.
I believe the name was Rainbow Honda. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

millerized

Postby millerized » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:06 pm

http://www.ronayers.com for parts, as their online fiche is simple to use. Folks use a bunch of different sites, but I've stuck with RA for many years. Usually a week from order to receipt. All the other sites (cyclemax et.al.) do a great job getting the aftermarket stuff to me on time.
The dealer is where you go to look at bikes and buy a t-shirt if you need one. The internet is where you buy the parts, your garage, front porch or living room is where you fix them. With the information out there and readily available, the dealer is only really needed to buy the bike from.
My opinion. Some folks haven't had the 4' greased stick jammed in enough to warrant going elsewhere. Yet. (and if you don't/didn't/never do...more power to you) I'll never trust another dealer until I'm too dead to do the work myself.

firey1

Postby firey1 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:37 pm

millerized wrote:http://www.ronayers.com for parts, as their online fiche is simple to use. Folks use a bunch of different sites, but I've stuck with RA for many years. Usually a week from order to receipt. All the other sites (cyclemax et.al.) do a great job getting the aftermarket stuff to me on time.
The dealer is where you go to look at bikes and buy a t-shirt if you need one. The internet is where you buy the parts, your garage, front porch or living room is where you fix them. With the information out there and readily available, the dealer is only really needed to buy the bike from.
My opinion. Some folks haven't had the 4' greased stick jammed in enough to warrant going elsewhere. Yet. (and if you don't/didn't/never do...more power to you) I'll never trust another dealer until I'm too dead to do the work myself.

To right I'll be doing all my work now parts are expensive to get here tho with freight costs

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Sorry about your bike. Don't like seeing this sort of thing happen. Some of these wings are pretty old and like anything old they needs some wrenching. At work I hear it all the time. Get a new bike or take it to a mechanic. Its no use trying to explain it to them. They dont get it. Its better to do the work yourself because you can do the job right..... well thats the way its supposed to work :lol: :lol:
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

millerized

Postby millerized » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:27 pm

There's also a 'touch one thing, break another' on old bikes that can cost a lot more to fix than the $10 hose assembly they were replacing. Plastics get brittle, they pull a side panel to change a spark plug and break off a few tabs.
I understand their thought process, but way too many company shops want the warranty reimbursement and not the money from the customer. Why make $15hr from the customer when Honda is going to pay them $25hr before costs. You'll have to come back twice to get it fixed, and they'll eventually make their money.

Just my opinion. I've been right once before.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:59 pm

Broken tabs, missing screws and just plain old bits of missing parts are a PITA.
I replaced my thermostat and some hoses. When I went to put the plastics back on, I had to figure out something to do about the missing and broke off pieces I found when taking it apart.

Not having all the resources I wished I had in the shop, in a few places I resorted to zip ties.
Sometimes you just do what you got to do. :roll:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”