Replace my windshield

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rraymond
Motorcycle: 1993
Gl1500 SE

Replace my windshield

Postby rraymond » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Hello,

Spring is coming soon and the bike season too. I have a Goldwing GL1500 SE 1993 and I would like to replace my windshield. Now, I realize that there are different sizes and I do not know the size of the windshield that was originally present. What size do you recommend windshield? I measure 6 feet. Do Cyclemax is a good place to buy one? If yes, what is the right model?

Thank you for your suggestions
Richard

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Replace my windshield

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:57 pm

I have a Wind Bender on my 'Wing, and really LOVE it ! it can be adjusted about 6" up and down, so I lower it for Spring/Summer and raise it about 2" for Fall / Winter.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/windbender.htm
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:23 pm

I have a Memphis Shades Goldwing windshield on my 97 1500. Mine is the standard height version, which works OK, but when replacement time comes, I'll probably go with the taller version, which is 2" taller than standard. Mine is the gradient black, minus the vent. I'm 6', and the extra 2" should be perfect, based on experience with the standard.

http://www.memphisshades.com/applicatio ... /goldwings

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:00 am

Practically impossible to recommend a screen height or model, it depends upon how much of the road you want to see above the screen, if at all, and you are the only one who has to love it or not.
If you go to Treffens, WingDings etc, wait until the end of the summer when you have sat on several, as I did.
Sitting tall, above the screen I like to see the taillights of the vehicle in front above 20mph, and I never bother to adjust it, but that is me.
Standard GL1500 screen measures just under 21" from the rubber strip to the tip of the screen when fully down, or 26" from top to bottom standalone.
Not all aftermarket screens are adjustable.
Would you prefer it lowered and raise it if you want to, or at full height and lower it if you want to, would you prefer it half way up
There are other options such as tough coated Optic Armour and F4 Custom, some are contoured, some are wider too.

6" is some serious screen adjustment height Fester, or is it a typo.

I buy all my GoldWing stuff from Cyclemax.

Not easy choosing a screen.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:28 am

I have been looking to replace my scratched windshield as well. I did it putting the bike away for the winter grrrrr. Having reviewed the plethora of information here and the many mfg web sites I have decided to go with the Tall Tulsa. http://www.allamericanprod.com/windshields.html

I am not recommending that you buy this one. I am recommending that you include this one in your search. I also recommend you do not jump on what you think is right for you. Take the time to review the many mentioned here as well as the vendor you use. I have purchased from most of them and I have no complaints on any of them.

Good luck in your search Be interested to know which one you choose. I am holding off on the windshield as I just ordered a custom seat from Hartco and am going on Vacation to the Silver Dollar Shooters club so I will have to wait for the funds to build back up for the windshield.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:23 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:6" is some serious screen adjustment height Fester, or is it a typo.

Copied from the web page :

"Windbenders allow an unprecedented amount of vertical adjustment. The stock windshield adjustment is retained plus we add an extra 4" of adjustment with the manual Windbender rails and 4" with our new electric option. Additionally there are slots in all top shields that offer over an inch of adjustment. You will always be able to find the "sweet-spot" with a Windbender!"
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:00 pm

What kind of a budget do you have for the windshield?? You can spend $200 or $500 depending what you buy.

Since you are in Canada your best option is to buy from Canada's Motorcycle. Buying out of the USA is crazy expensive now especially when you consider the size of the box a windshield is shipped in. Canada's Motorcycle are in Quebec. I bought my Memphis Shades windshield from them. Went with the standard height and vent. Works great for my liking.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:19 pm

I went an got a replacement for my 1500 last fall from this seller on ebay. The picture is of a non vented but you will get a new vented standard windshield for this price from Slipstreamer. I am 5' 10" and the windshield is just the right height for me in the up position. http://www.ebay.com/itm/390847589447?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 am

Uncle Fester wrote:
Big Blue UK wrote:6" is some serious screen adjustment height Fester, or is it a typo.

Copied from the web page :

"Windbenders allow an unprecedented amount of vertical adjustment. The stock windshield adjustment is retained plus we add an extra 4" of adjustment with the manual Windbender rails and 4" with our new electric option. Additionally there are slots in all top shields that offer over an inch of adjustment. You will always be able to find the "sweet-spot" with a Windbender!"

Windbender eh, electric option too, nice.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 am

Way back in 98 i put a tulsa tall on my 98 wing. It was a nice shield but a few things I noticed, you won't get any air circulation, which is bad when it's hot outside, and it leans back so far you have to be careful not to hit it every time you get on and off the bike. Now this was several years back so they might have changed the lean of it by now.
check this out, it might help
http://www.clearviewshields.com/blog/ch ... ld-height/
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:08 pm

When I brought my bike home it had a hazed and scratched up Slipstreamer windshield that was a little higher than stock. Replaced it with an F4 customs standard with vent. Very nice windshield that is a couple years old now. It has good clarity and I'm very happy I got a vented windshield. Seems like windshields are a personal preference kind of thing. Some people like them to be set level with your nose so you can see over it. Some people like them higher so there passenger gets less wind buffet. Some people like them real low or winder than stock.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:12 am

When I bought my '94, it came with a Tulsa windshield. It is tall. I've always liked being able to look over the windshield, but also be able to duck down just a little to look through it, in case of rain.
There's no way, without standing up, that I'll be able to look over this windshield. I don't know how well I am going to like this windshield in the summertime, but as much as I hate foul, cold weather I may just learn to live with it. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:51 pm

I HATED the Tulsa that was on my bike when I bought it, could not look over it at all, whacked my head getting on and off the bike if I was not careful, mine had a BRAKEN vent (would not shut), that was ok in the summer as it let SOME breeze in, but in the winter, it sucked. . . .

As for rain, picture trying to drive your car / truck or van with no wipers, EVER. . . . and as pointed out all over this site, RAIN-X is a NO NO !

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:26 pm

I'm not sure of the type of windscreen on mine - but I adjusted it up to its full height, as it kept slowly vibrating/moving downwards. Sorted that out - and happy with that position as I do not get any wind buffeting on my shoulders or helmet when riding. It is great in Winter and cooler days - unfortunately in Australia our winters are normally very mild compared to the USA,and this Summer there is a total lack of ventilation around the rider when traveling - so much so it is stifling, and makes riding uncomfortable over longer distances. Have recently purchased a used vent to be installed, and hope this will resolve the issue for next summer - even though the last month has averaged at least 30 degrees. :)

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Trying to imagine rain on the windshield of my car or truck isn't much help. I've been using Rain-X for so many years now it ain't funny.
I didn't know I couldn't use it on a motorcycle windshield. Thanks for that tip. I'll just keep it waxed and maybe it'll be okay. If not, I'll just stop somewheres.
Being retired, I don't have to be somewhere at a scheduled time. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:01 pm

I've been waxing my Memphis Shades windshield since I got the bike 3 years ago. It works great. Water beads up nicely, providing good visibility in the rain, and no detrimental effect on the shield. Helps with removal of bugs too.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:27 pm

I'll keep it waxed and avoid the rain as much as possible. :lol:
Keep a towel in the boot too. :D

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Rain-X now has a formula for plastic/acrylic that I use on my windshield and it works great. I found it at Wally World in the automotive section. Local AutoZone didn't have any. So Far So Good. I put some on every week and have had no trouble.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 pm

Good to know about the Rain X for plastic , I know the original formula even stated Not For Use On Plastic, Lexan ect , as it would could them up over time. . . . Search it on here, lots of info on it.

As for cleaning a windscreen, I keep some PLEDGE wipes in the trunk, the ones that look like baby wipes, they work great and so far I have had no adverse effects over the last two years.

rraymond
Motorcycle: 1993
Gl1500 SE

Postby rraymond » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:07 am

Thank you for all your answers. I'll order a tall memphis shade in Canada 's Motorcycle . Before, I used Aquapel and this was very well. I'll try the wax on my new windshield .
Very interesting to read .
thank you

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:38 am

Be sure to use a new, or just cleaned applicator for applying the wax, as well as the cloth or microfiber towel for wax removal. And that the windshield is very clean before waxing. That will minimize scratches.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:51 am

Pledge works good on the windshield too. Only you'll smell like a lemonaid maker for awhile. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Postby Fatboy46 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Has anyone considered windshield height AND the passenger? I have the TALL Stock shield- prefer looking OVER not through, but it keeps some of the buffeting down for my wife. My trike had an adjustable lexan with a lip at the top- LOTS of buffeting for both of us. put the stock one on, much better. but it is scratched and makes halo's at night. poly doesnt scratch easily- but once it is, you can't fixit. Lexan scratches easily, but can be polished. at $2--300 or more to try one- not fun...

CA_Guy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE

Postby CA_Guy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:42 pm

I replaced the one on my 1987 Wing with the F4 Scratch Resistant Windshield for GL1500 Plus 2" Taller Height Clear w/ Vent Already Installed. I could not be more satisfied. It is absolutely beautiful, so easy to clean and after a 3,800 mile ride last fall I could not tell that it had left the garage.

One note on installation of any windshield, use an impact driver to remove the screws that hold the windshield. It will save you a LOT of frustration and time. :D

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Postby Fatboy46 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:22 am

CA- did the F4 allow you to retain the height afjuustment feature? Some are too thick to allow that - my GW is a 97

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”