HAZARD LIGHTS and crusie control ISSUES

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

HAZARD LIGHTS and crusie control ISSUES

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:18 am

Just FYI I just bought a new to me 1998..so more Q's maybe coming as I find little things I need to fix or change.

So, the turn signals work as they should, self canceling etc. BUT when I push the hazard light button only the right side signal indicator lights up and it's solid not blinking, the left signal indicator on the gauge cluster is dark, lastly the button won't stay in/on. So where to start..the button i guess. Anyone ever have one of these apart???

Also an issue with the cruise control button. The cruise control works perfectly but the on button was "locked" in the on position..the light on always. It worked held speed etc. and if I touch the button if turn off..but still stay in. I took the assembly apart to look at it..nothing jamming it in place. Then yesterday it popped out as I was riding along. Haven't pushed it back in yet to test it to see if it pops out like it should when turned off. Anyoen have one of these apart to know what could be holding the button in..it seems liek it must be somethign in side the littel white contact mechanism and not the button itself.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Re: HAZARD LIGHTS and crusie control ISSUES

Postby Bigbiker0 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:45 am

I had that prob. with my GW and solve it with electrical cleaner. The grease honda use in those control become sticky with time and the switches don't work properly .
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:17 am

Yep, they need a good cleaning. Nothing jumps out when you seperate the housings, so no worries there. Its not real easy to get to exactly where you want to clean inside there but just have a little patience. Spray small amounts of contact cleaner at a time but keep at it while working the switch/button. When its working right, spray some more. Otherwise, you'll be doing it again every couple weeks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:59 pm

RBGERSON wrote:Just FYI I just bought a new to me 1998..so more Q's maybe coming as I find little things I need to fix or change.

So, the turn signals work as they should, self canceling etc. BUT when I push the hazard light button only the right side signal indicator lights up and it's solid not blinking, the left signal indicator on the gauge cluster is dark, lastly the button won't stay in/on. So where to start..the button i guess. Anyone ever have one of these apart???

Also an issue with the cruise control button. The cruise control works perfectly but the on button was "locked" in the on position..the light on always. It worked held speed etc. and if I touch the button if turn off..but still stay in. I took the assembly apart to look at it..nothing jamming it in place. Then yesterday it popped out as I was riding along. Haven't pushed it back in yet to test it to see if it pops out like it should when turned off. Anyoen have one of these apart to know what could be holding the button in..it seems liek it must be somethign in side the littel white contact mechanism and not the button itself.

Congratulations on your new 1998!!

The hazard light problem you are describing (only one side on) is caused by the hazard switch itself. When pressed, it connects both left and right together, and to the hazard flasher (it has a separate flasher from the turn signal flasher). If only one side is coming on, then something's going on with the hazard switch, usually caused by dirt. I had the same thing happen to mine, and some contact cleaner in the switch fixed the problem.

If this fixes it so that both left and right come on, but they still don't flash, check out the hazard flasher relay. It's underneath the trunk, next to the turn signal flasher relay. Swap them, and if the hazards then work and the turn signals don't, you know you've got a bad flasher.

The cruise button is the same thing - dirt in the latching mechanism. I had mine do this so many times I just gave up. I got tired of pulling it apart and cleaning it (again, electrical contact cleaner is the way to go) only to have it stick again 6 months later. I now just leave it permanently turned on - it doesn't hurt anything to do that.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”