Bridgestone Tires


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
MasterDaniel904
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Bridgestone Tires

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:02 pm



I just finished a year on Kendra tires and I must say I am not impressed. They were a hard ride, NOISY, and the rubber got hard as the tread wore. I'm sitting here recovering from a nasty slide as a result of the front tire not gripping during a routine stop at 25 mph. As I go back over my tire history I see I've used both the Bridgestone Execedra 701's and 703's somewhat interchangeably over the years. I liked both, so I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference between the two might be. The only thing I can see is that the 703 is a 130/70H and the 701 is a 130/70. Speed rating is the difference?


All seasons. No exceptions.

User avatar
joeincalif
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am
Location: San Jacinto, Calif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby joeincalif » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:36 am

Sorry I can't with your question but i was going to put the Kenda's on 1500 wing and the shop guy, that I have known for a long time and trust talked me out of it. He said just what you described, I went with the Dunlops again.
Image
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:24 pm

MasterDaniel904 wrote:I just finished a year on Kendra tires and I must say I am not impressed. They were a hard ride, NOISY, and the rubber got hard as the tread wore. I'm sitting here recovering from a nasty slide as a result of the front tire not gripping during a routine stop at 25 mph. As I go back over my tire history I see I've used both the Bridgestone Execedra 701's and 703's somewhat interchangeably over the years. I liked both, so I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference between the two might be. The only thing I can see is that the 703 is a 130/70H and the 701 is a 130/70. Speed rating is the difference?


I don't show the 703 available in 130/70:

Exedra G701

Exedra G703

User avatar
MasterDaniel904
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:15 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
MasterDaniel904 wrote:I just finished a year on Kendra tires and I must say I am not impressed. They were a hard ride, NOISY, and the rubber got hard as the tread wore. I'm sitting here recovering from a nasty slide as a result of the front tire not gripping during a routine stop at 25 mph. As I go back over my tire history I see I've used both the Bridgestone Execedra 701's and 703's somewhat interchangeably over the years. I liked both, so I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference between the two might be. The only thing I can see is that the 703 is a 130/70H and the 701 is a 130/70. Speed rating is the difference?


I don't show the 703 available in 130/70:

Exedra G701

Exedra G703



701: http://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-Exced ... ingdocs-20
703: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ingdocs-20

Just an example. I usually buy the 701's from motorcycle-superstore. I ordered the 703's from Amazon.
All seasons. No exceptions.

User avatar
MasterDaniel904
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Finally found the time to call Bridgestone and talk with one of their techs. Apparently the Excedra's were designed for specific bikes over the years and both the 701 and 703 would be fine on the '96 wing. They both have an H speed rating, and both have a 63 weight rating, so there it lay. He did suggest that both tires were "old design" and that Bridgestone had combined technologies and designs to create the Excedra Max line, to cut down on the number of different tires they had to keep making and support one style for all the older cruisers. After doing a little research, I found they were less expensive than the 700 line, and have a speed rating of W, which should make them much more responsive. If I survive another year of riding, I'll let y'all know what I think of them! Gonna be a few more weeks before these ribs and pelvis heal enough to ride again though! Damn 50+ y/o body with a 20 y/o spirit!
All seasons. No exceptions.

User avatar
minimac
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby minimac » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:30 pm

I've been running the Excedra Max radials on the front of my 'wing. I know my bike came w/bias tires but when I darksided (Austone) it a few years ago, I switched the front to a radial also. The grip, performance, ride, noise-lack of-and wear has been outstanding.

User avatar
MasterDaniel904
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:32 pm

MasterDaniel904 wrote:Finally found the time to call Bridgestone and talk with one of their techs. Apparently the Excedra's were designed for specific bikes over the years and both the 701 and 703 would be fine on the '96 wing. They both have an H speed rating, and both have a 63 weight rating, so there it lay. He did suggest that both tires were "old design" and that Bridgestone had combined technologies and designs to create the Excedra Max line, to cut down on the number of different tires they had to keep making and support one style for all the older cruisers. After doing a little research, I found they were less expensive than the 700 line, and have a speed rating of W, which should make them much more responsive. If I survive another year of riding, I'll let y'all know what I think of them! Gonna be a few more weeks before these ribs and pelvis heal enough to ride again though! Damn 50+ y/o body with a 20 y/o spirit!


The notes above are regarding the front tire. The rear Max's have a 80H rating and are a tiny bit more expensive than the 702, 704's. (The mates for the 701, 703's)
All seasons. No exceptions.

bbstacker
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Athens, GA
Motorcycle: 1993 GL 1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL 500 Interstate

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby bbstacker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Don't really have a reply or a comment, but more of another question. To give some background I just recently moved up from a 1986 1200 Interstate to a 1993 1500 Aspencade. The previous owner had installed a bridgestone Excedra on the rear two to three weeks before I bought it from him. I noticed that the front tire was worn and ordered a Bridgestone excedra 701 to replace it. It is going to be installed this coming week so I'll have two new tire to ride on. But my question is this, I noticed that the front tire was wearing more on one side of the tire than the other. Can anyone tell me what would cause this? I've never experienced this before.
This is my first experience with bridgestone BIAS tires, I run Dunlop Elite 3 radials on my 1200, and have been happy with them. When I am replacing the front tire on the 1500, I did not want to mix them up and since the rear tire has probably less than 100 mile on it I can't see replacing it.

User avatar
MasterDaniel904
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:30 pm

I could tell you why on a car, but on a motorcycle, the closest thing would be one of the forks is riding stiffer than the other would be my guess, or both are slightly bent, maybe from an accident. Easy enough to check that with a straight edge. If the fork springs are still factory original, it would be time to replace them both and replace the seals and fluid. There is a great topic on how to do that here!
All seasons. No exceptions.

bbstacker
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Athens, GA
Motorcycle: 1993 GL 1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL 500 Interstate

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby bbstacker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:54 pm

Masterdaniel, thanks for the quick response. To be honest I really have no idea on the bikes history. I know the past two owners, and will ask about any accidents. The manual that came with lists some maintenance up until 5 or 6 years ago, but only normal things like oil, filter and air filter changes. The bike has 97,000 miles on it. This is one reason I am having the timing belts and tensioners replaced as well as oil/filter and air filter changed as well as the front tire. I'll check with the previous owners to see if the fork springs and oil have been changed. I will look at the DIY for the fixes you mentioned. I do have a little experience in this area, as I replaced the fork seals and oil on my 86 1200.

User avatar
Bluewaterhooker0
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 pm
Location: Tampa, Fl
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:46 pm

bbstacker wrote:Don't really have a reply or a comment, but more of another question. To give some background I just recently moved up from a 1986 1200 Interstate to a 1993 1500 Aspencade. The previous owner had installed a bridgestone Excedra on the rear two to three weeks before I bought it from him. I noticed that the front tire was worn and ordered a Bridgestone excedra 701 to replace it. It is going to be installed this coming week so I'll have two new tire to ride on. But my question is this, I noticed that the front tire was wearing more on one side of the tire than the other. Can anyone tell me what would cause this? I've never experienced this before.
This is my first experience with bridgestone BIAS tires, I run Dunlop Elite 3 radials on my 1200, and have been happy with them. When I am replacing the front tire on the 1500, I did not want to mix them up and since the rear tire has probably less than 100 mile on it I can't see replacing it.


Would the side that was wearing more, happen to be on the left side ?

bbstacker
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Athens, GA
Motorcycle: 1993 GL 1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL 500 Interstate

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby bbstacker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:39 am

Bluewaterhooker0, if memory serves me correctly, I do believe as you are looking forward as though sitting on the bike it is the left side. Does this give you any ideas about what is causing it?

User avatar
Bluewaterhooker0
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 pm
Location: Tampa, Fl
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:33 pm

bbstacker wrote:Bluewaterhooker0, if memory serves me correctly, I do believe as you are looking forward as though sitting on the bike it is the left side. Does this give you any ideas about what is causing it?


From what I've seen and read, it is very typical. Many bikes experience that. It has been proposed that it is caused by the fact that most highways are sloped to the right for water drainage, so your bike is theoretically riding on the left surface of the tire while traveling straight ahead. I don't really buy that explanation, as wear while traveling in a straight line is minimal.
The other, more probable reason, in my opinion, has to do with the turning radius of right vs left turns. Left turns are of a much wider arc in the US, as we drive on the right side of the road. Right turns are probably 1/3 the distance of a left turn, thus less lateral wear on the right than the left. Mine exhibits the same symptom, though not to a great extent. I attribute that to the fact that most of my driving is outside the city, on long straight highways, thus not that much turning in general.
Do a search, and I think you'll find quite a bit written about the subject.

bbstacker
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Athens, GA
Motorcycle: 1993 GL 1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL 500 Interstate

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Postby bbstacker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:36 pm

Bluewaterhooker0, again thanks for the response. I'll try and do some research and see what I can come up with.




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest