locked saddlebag issue


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
truckindrummer
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Wabash, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade
Contact:

locked saddlebag issue

Postby truckindrummer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 pm



I had to remove a saddlebag recently and removed the cable from the latch mechanism then inadvertently closed the saddlebag. Does anyone know of a way to get the bag open without damage??? I know it was a dumb*ss move but sometimes this old mind gets stupid...help is definitely needed and appreciated!!! Thanks in advance....


"Always protect yourself, your family, your Country, your Flag, your Rights, your Constitution. Calm down and carry.." Member Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

User avatar
Bluewaterhooker0
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 pm
Location: Tampa, Fl
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 pm

As I recall, the lever, or rod for that is just inside the opening where the cable attaches. Do yo have the other saddlebag open. Just look to see placement in relation to the cable hole, make up a coat hanger hook, and hook onto that rod inside the bag. That one shouldn't be that difficult to do.

User avatar
spiralout
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Alabama
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby spiralout » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Open the trunk and remove the plug for that side and push down on the rod.

User avatar
joeincalif
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am
Location: San Jacinto, Calif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby joeincalif » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:04 pm

spiralout wrote:Open the trunk and remove the plug for that side and push down on the rod.

That's the way you do it
Image
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

User avatar
truckindrummer
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Wabash, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade
Contact:

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby truckindrummer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:35 am

Ok thanks guys...appreciate the help
"Always protect yourself, your family, your Country, your Flag, your Rights, your Constitution. Calm down and carry.." Member Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:27 pm

maybe i am missing something here..but if the bag is off the bike the trunk hole won't work. Which end of the cable did you disconnect I am assuming the bag end so pulling on the cable won't do anything..If it's the left side bag there is a hole covered by a plastic/rubber cover for brake bleeding..push it off stick a hanger in and up with a hook on the end and grab the bar center of the bag near the top and pull it will release the door. If it's the right side no hole!! you may be able to slide a rod through the same hole the cable goes through and grab the bar..straight across.. open the bag you can and look at the position of everything last resort drill a hole on the inside panel near the top of the bag so you can stick a hanger in with a hook on the end..use a drill size to match a plastic plug you can get at most hardware stores..after youi are done use the plug to plug the hole..glue or not.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

User avatar
spiralout
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Alabama
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby spiralout » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:06 pm

RBGERSON wrote:maybe i am missing something here..but if the bag is off the bike the trunk hole won't work. Which end of the cable did you disconnect I am assuming the bag end so pulling on the cable won't do anything..If it's the left side bag there is a hole covered by a plastic/rubber cover for brake bleeding..push it off stick a hanger in and up with a hook on the end and grab the bar center of the bag near the top and pull it will release the door. If it's the right side no hole!! you may be able to slide a rod through the same hole the cable goes through and grab the bar..straight across.. open the bag you can and look at the position of everything last resort drill a hole on the inside panel near the top of the bag so you can stick a hanger in with a hook on the end..use a drill size to match a plastic plug you can get at most hardware stores..after youi are done use the plug to plug the hole..glue or not.

Or just push the rod.....
How is that not going to work whether the bag is on or off the bike?

User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:49 pm

I thought the bag and trunk are separate..so nothing done in the trunk would connect to the bag..maybe I read his post incorrectly?? And if they are still connected and he disconnected the cable in the bag pushing on the rod in the trunk would move the cable but if it's not connected to the bar in the bag it wouldn't open..Like I said I may have miss read his post..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

User avatar
spiralout
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Alabama
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby spiralout » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:07 pm

RBGERSON wrote:I thought the bag and trunk are separate..so nothing done in the trunk would connect to the bag..maybe I read his post incorrectly?? And if they are still connected and he disconnected the cable in the bag pushing on the rod in the trunk would move the cable but if it's not connected to the bar in the bag it wouldn't open..Like I said I may have miss read his post..

I think we're talking about different rods. This is the bag catch release rod, accessible either off the bike or on the bike through the hole in the bottom of the trunk.

User avatar
truckindrummer
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Wabash, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade
Contact:

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby truckindrummer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Sorry guys I should have been more specific...it's the left bag and it's on the bike. So hopefully the trunk method should work. Again my thanks and apologies to you for the help....
"Always protect yourself, your family, your Country, your Flag, your Rights, your Constitution. Calm down and carry.." Member Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

User avatar
truckindrummer
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Wabash, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade
Contact:

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby truckindrummer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:46 pm

And yes the cable is disconnected inside the bag...
"Always protect yourself, your family, your Country, your Flag, your Rights, your Constitution. Calm down and carry.." Member Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

User avatar
keithg64
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Geneseo, IL
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Re: locked saddlebag issue

Postby keithg64 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:16 pm

spiralout wrote:Open the trunk and remove the plug for that side and push down on the rod.


Yes, this is the one.


It's not what you buy, it's what you build.


Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests