1500 clutch slave rebuild problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
scottydaum
Motorcycle: 1988 1500 Goldwing and 1985 1100 Shadow

1500 clutch slave rebuild problem

Postby scottydaum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:31 pm

So....I ordered all OEM parts from Cyclemax and read up on the different posts on this forum. THE PROBLEM IS...the seal the goes betwwen the drain cup and the engine seems to be just a LITTLE TOO SMALL. It des not seem to want to go into the recessed groove and stay there. I have tried applying force with a socket the same siZe as the seal and it just won't go on.
Its kind of a hard rubber and does not seem to want to stretch enough to go in the groove and stay there. I tried warming it up a little with some heat and that did not work either.
I double checked the part number, and it says it's the right part.
Anyone have any ideas?

flyinrob
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 Aspencade

Re: 1500 clutch slave rebuild problem

Postby flyinrob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:18 pm

I just rebuild my clutch master and slave cylinders last month. The slave unit only came with four parts...a new spring, bleeder rubber cover, a cup seal and an oil seal. Which seal are you having trouble with. All of my seals went on just fine. I ordered my kits from Amazon and Ebay and everything fit perfectly. They were K&L kits i believe.

scottydaum
Motorcycle: 1988 1500 Goldwing and 1985 1100 Shadow

Postby scottydaum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:19 pm

These were supposed to be OEM parts. I got them thru Cyclemax. the was a big seal that went around the piston, a smaller one for inside the piston, the spring, and the seal that is between the slave and the engine. It's the one the pushrod goes thru that presses on the clutch. Everything was fine except that one the pushrod goes thru. I guess I will look on AmaZon, and order another one. Cyclemax takes 6 days to get the part from Mother Honda, then they ship it to me. I guess I could actually try the dealer but they almost NEVER have any parts on hand, and have to order it.

flyinrob
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 Aspencade

Postby flyinrob » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:55 am

OK, you are talking about the oil seal that is fitted into the clutch cover itself. I did not have to replace mine as it was still in good condition with no leaking. From what I have read it should have just pressed fit right into the hole.

I guess as a last resort you could remove the clutch cover and try to fit the seal in that way.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:00 am

Replace mine and had a heck of a time getting the old one out. Then when I finally got it out the new one was fitting real snug like. I'd recommend using the backside of a same sized socket preferrably a deepwell so you can use it to coax the new one back in. In my case I had to remove the clutch cover because I couldn't get the old one out! So it made things easier to get the new one back in. Just dont force it or I think you'll mess it up. :D

Mine may have been leaking for awhile. But the difference was amazing when everything was back together.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Blackngold
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Blackngold » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:22 am

scottydaum wrote:So....I ordered all OEM parts from Cyclemax and read up on the different posts on this forum. THE PROBLEM IS...the seal the goes betwwen the drain cup and the engine seems to be just a LITTLE TOO SMALL. It des not seem to want to go into the recessed groove and stay there. I have tried applying force with a socket the same siZe as the seal and it just won't go on.
Its kind of a hard rubber and does not seem to want to stretch enough to go in the groove and stay there. I tried warming it up a little with some heat and that did not work either.
I double checked the part number, and it says it's the right part.
Anyone have any ideas?

I Had to destroy the old one to get it out. The small amount of leaking fluid baked over time to a resin like hard substance. Make sure you get all the old crud out. Also apply a little oil to the new seal, just like on a new oil filter seal. This seal looks almost identical to the gear shifter seal, Its possible they were mixed up at MOM Honda. Seen stranger stuff. I bet these seals were made over 10 to 15 years ago and have been sitting in a whse. on a shelf. Who knows how they react over time to heat, cold, etc.. And finally just like in Detroit it could have been made on a Monday by some pissed off at his wife, hung-over on Saki, sick from bad Susi, not making his quota, stressed out little Japanese man. :roll: Soo Sorwee Good Wuck :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”