Compufire Alternator Question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jmoraniii
Motorcycle: 97GL1500 SE

Compufire Alternator Question

Postby jmoraniii » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:39 pm

Good afternoon,
I have a compufire alternator to install in my 97 wing. When looking at the wire connectors that looks like a tee, the female connection is in the horizontal of the tee on the wing harness and the male connection is in the vertical of the tee on the wire coming from the alternator. They don't connect to each other. Is this wire needed with the compufire alternator, do I need a changeover to connect the wires together? I watched a video and it doesn't show anything just plug and go. There are two wires in thew wing wire loom BK/LG and a blue I think. There is 1 black wire in the conpufire. Any help on this would be helpful.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Compufire Alternator Question

Postby Mh434 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:40 pm

IIRC, only one of the poles in that 2-pole connector is connected to anything - the other pole doesn't go anywhere, and nothing n the bike connects to it. There are only 2 wires, total to the alternator - the big, thick one to the battery, and the thin one which is the "exciter" wire (tells the alternator when to charge, more or less).

I think you'll find only one of the connector's poles has a wire going to it.

The OEM wire you need to connect the thin wire to has its own connector, but (at least in my bike), it was virtually inaccessible without taking half the bike off to get to it (it's between the false tank & the frame, ahead of (& below the level of) the gas filler door, on the left hand side of the bike. I just cut the end of the OEM wire off near the alternator, crimped on an insulated spade connector, and hooked it up to the new alternator's connector. Worked great, and very easy.

Hope that helps...

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Compufire Alternator Question

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:36 am

+1

Mh434 wrote:IIRC, only one of the poles in that 2-pole connector is connected to anything - the other pole doesn't go anywhere, and nothing n the bike connects to it. There are only 2 wires, total to the alternator - the big, thick one to the battery, and the thin one which is the "exciter" wire (tells the alternator when to charge, more or less).

I think you'll find only one of the connector's poles has a wire going to it.

The OEM wire you need to connect the thin wire to has its own connector, but (at least in my bike), it was virtually inaccessible without taking half the bike off to get to it (it's between the false tank & the frame, ahead of (& below the level of) the gas filler door, on the left hand side of the bike. I just cut the end of the OEM wire off near the alternator, crimped on an insulated spade connector, and hooked it up to the new alternator's connector. Worked great, and very easy.

Hope that helps...

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”