Antifreeze leak 89 1500 wing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
glenwegener
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing 1500

Antifreeze leak 89 1500 wing

Postby glenwegener » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Okay, my first wing so bare with me. I changed out the antifreeze this winter. Started it up, no leaks. Now after putting on a couple hundred miles on it, when I stopped it, about an ounce of antifreeze dripped off lower center cover. So, checked the overflow tank and I thought I overfilled it. So, removed down to proper level. Opened radiator cap and was low about 6 ounces. So, left the cap off and started it up and water came up to top after a few seconds and immediately put the cap back on. warmed it up until fan came on and cooled it okay. Looked down and antifreeze started to drip. Checked reservoir and level had not changed and the coolant in it was cold and had not changed level. After shutting it off, dripping stopped after about 2 minutes. Looked like maybe an ounce on floor. So, where do I start? Thanks ahead of time.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Antifreeze leak 89 1500 wing

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:24 pm

I have had a similar issue.

When you take off the radiator cap and the coolant flows up and out - it takes a few minutes for it to drip onto the ground, then you think you have a leak somewhere.

As long as you have burped your radiator, just make sure all the hose clamps are tight and not leaking, wassh down the area where the fluid has come from.

Mine also had a leak from the drain bolt - fixed that by annealing the copper crush washer.

:)

glenwegener

Postby glenwegener » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:44 pm

The leaking was happening before I took the cap off. I took the cap off to see how much I had lost. And when it did come up, don't understand why it did not spill into the reserve tank once the cap was put back on. The reserve is cold.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:36 am

It's possible you have a leak (or cracked line) in between the radiator and the reservoir.

Here's what happens when you have that problem:

The engine gets hot. The coolant expands, until the pressure exceeds what the radiator cap is rated for. The valve in the radiator cap opens, and allows coolant to move into the overflow line.

Most of the coolant moves into the overflow tank. Some of the coolant escapes through the leak/crack/whatever in the line between the radiator and coolant tank, and drips down to the lowest place it can find (center cover).

The engine cools off. The coolant in the radiator contracts, creating vacuum. The radiator cap opens to allow coolant to be sucked up out of the reservoir. However, it is easier for air to be sucked in through the crack/leak than it is to lift coolant up out of the reservoir, so the radiator sucks in air instead of coolant, and the reservoir remains full.

So you have all three symptoms: An overfilled reservoir when cold, a radiator with low coolant level, and a coolant leak.

Sometimes it is the plastic nipple on the coolant reservoir (where the hose connects) that develops the crack.

When cold, I'd set the reservoir level correctly, burp the radiator and ensure it is full. Then with the cap installed, let the engine run and see if you can figure out where the coolant is leaking from.

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby Dennis613l » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:28 am

For me, it was the previously mentioned plastic nipple going into the top of the tank.
It is a it of a common problem with these bikes there.
Got to make sure the nipple is firmly placed into the tank and no leaks.

The other problem, though not likely related to your situation, is that when the bike gets cold during winter storage there are some hose connections at the radiator that can leak. Has something to do with them wrapping the rad hose connections with tape at the factory, which after a number of year can leak. Apparently need to somehow get deep in there to be able to remove the tape and replace the hose onto the nozzle.

glenwegener

Postby glenwegener » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:20 am

Could it have something to do with the radiator cap too? Seems after fill the radiator cold, then I run it until I here the fan run. But, there is no hot water, which should be I would think in the reserve tank, and tank stays at same level whether hot or cold?
Thanks in advance, I am going to get it into my son's garage today and do some checking. Also about antifreeze, I noticed that I could use Prestone?

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:43 pm

On my bike, a 97, during some cold weather last year, I had some leaking at the hose fittings where the #11 hose attaches to the bottoms of the radiators. The hoses had slipped down a bit as well. I loosened the clamps, slid the hoses all the way up, tightened the clamps really good, and no problems since. I could see where it had leaked. I've heard of leakage at the #22 hose, as well, but not experienced any issues on mine. The lower radiators are easy to get to, so you might want to start there.
Attachments

glenwegener

Postby glenwegener » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:54 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:On my bike, a 97, during some cold weather last year, I had some leaking at the hose fittings where the #11 hose attaches to the bottoms of the radiators. The hoses had slipped down a bit as well. I loosened the clamps, slid the hoses all the way up, tightened the clamps really good, and no problems since. I could see where it had leaked. I've heard of leakage at the #22 hose, as well, but not experienced any issues on mine. The lower radiators are easy to get to, so you might want to start there.

Got it! Thanks Bluewater, that is exactly where it was. I changed the antifreeze this winter and had to just snug up the clamp in that radiator hose. Also, in my search of the rest of the bike, the line coming out of the reservoir tank had rotted away, the tube actually going into the tank. Went to the Honda dealer and could not believe it they had it on hand. Thanks for all the help everybody, and hope this posts helps others. Now, if it would just stop snowing would go for a putt!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”