Heated grips - which ones?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Heated grips - which ones?

Postby GillesGLW » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:43 am

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for heated grips, but I'm struggling on the model to choose.
Some are just like factory grips, all in plastic. But some are very nice with Chrome and are supposed to reduce the vibrations.
So far I can't complain about vibrations on the bike and I didn't really have any issue with the factory grips.

Not sure if it's worth going for fancy grips or just keeping something which looks very basic.

What's your view on that?

Thanks,
Gilles

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Re: Heated grips - which ones?

Postby keithg64 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:44 am

This is the style that I have, I like them alot. I have had a variety of grips over them over the years.

http://www.aerostich.com/heated-grip-kit.html
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

jim mccarty
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing Se/CSC trike

Postby jim mccarty » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:25 am

Symtec grip heaters. Mount to handlebars under grips. I've had them on 2 trikes.

Search "grip heaters" on Google.

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:52 am

There is nothing better than heated gloves.Period.
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:02 am

I only have experience with a few brands of heated grips, but I suspect that heated gloves would, indeed, work better. The problem with heated grips is that they only heat the palms of your hands - for me, I find the backs of my fingers, my knuckles, and my wrists absolutely freeze (until they ache), while my palms burn. It's kind of like having an ice pack on the back of your hands, while your palms are in boling water. The temperature dichotomy is VERY unpleasant, at least for me.

Another issue is a practical one - I currently have the Show Chrome B17-385 set (my third set on the bike, none of which has worked properly - the first controller was defective, as was the second, and even the third doesn't work properly), and they have to be turned on, to "max", for about 25-35 minutes to actually get warm. Considering my early-morning commute (when temperatures are likely to be at or near freezing) is about 30 minutes, I can get all the way to work and, when I shut off the bike, the grips have finally gotten to luke warm, but no more. They cool down to ambient temperature again in a few seconds, and the 30 minute time starts anew. Go on a 1 hour drive, stop for gas during the ride, and they will never get warm. Occasionally (every 4th or 5th ride) they will work properly, at least for a while. Turn off the bike, start it up again, and they won't work again.

The instructions call for them to be hooked up to the accessory side of the electrical system. Thinking that perhaps they needed more juice, I even tried hooking them up through a switched relay, right from the battery. No difference in performance at all. For over $200CDN (with shipping, $ exchange, etc. etc.), they seem far too expensive and, with them not working most of the time, I don't even bother turning them on any more, as it seems like a waste of time & energy (and they do draw a LOT of power).

I haven't tried heated gloves, but I suspect they'd help keep your whole hands (wrists, too) warm. The only hassle I see is having to hook up your gloves to the bike...although I see there are new, rechargeable, battery-operated ones. That, of course, raises the issues of having to recharge batteries (tough while on the highway), short run times, etc.

I have looked at cabled gloves, but most require yet another corded controller (extra money) and, with an all-in price exceeding $400 - $600, it's beyond my budget. So...I only ride in warmer weather.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:36 am

jim mccarty wrote:Symtec grip heaters. Mount to handlebars under grips. I've had them on 2 trikes.

Search "grip heaters" on Google.

I've been running the Symtec Motorcycle grip heaters since 2009 and love 'em!

A set of Baker Built hand wings are great at spilling the wind off of your hands/upper body in the cold (open them up for cooling air in heat) and I am comfortable with just a pair of heavy, naked leather gauntlets down to 25*F

I used a pair of Grab On grip covers to 'fatten up' the diameter of the OEM grips and the heat transfer is great.

I have a pair of First Gear heated gloves, but I very seldom ever use them, as hooking up the wiring to either my heated jacket liner, or to a separate wiring harness to the heat controller is a PITA and feels like I'm wearing Idiot Gloves!

GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Re: Heated grips - which ones? - Solved

Postby GillesGLW » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:42 am

Thank you very much for all your replies.

While I do agree that heated gloves are probably the best solution, I'm considering heated grips as I have to replace my grips and also because I have a hole just above the suspension control panel (thanks Mister previous owner who put an ugly switch here...) that I want to hide with a heated grip control unit.

I finally went for Oxford heated grips as they seem to have a lot of positive comments and are relatively easy to install. I will keep you posted on how they fit on the bike and how warm they really are.

Cheers!
Gilles

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:14 pm

I find heated grips work great when it is cool out, to prevent your fingers from getting cold.

However, if it is COLD out - like temperatures where your hands freeze and become non-functional in minutes (like 40 degrees and below), heated grips just don't work. You sear your palms and the insides of your fingers while the rest of your hands freeze solid. For those temperatures, heated gloves are really the best way to go.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Bigbiker0 wrote:There is nothing better than heated gloves.Period.

I concur -- and they move with you to the next bike... ;)
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:41 pm

So the best of both worlds would be the answer.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”