Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby ttysseling » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:53 pm

I just bought a 1998 Aspencade. When I get off the throttle, it seems like it takes too long for the engine to idle down (2-4 seconds) when I pull the clutch in. Also when I am sitting at an idle, the engine idles up momentarily from about 850 to 1100 rpms every 15 seconds or so. It doesn't hold that way, it is very brief.

I was told by the dealer where I bought it that they bought it from an older guy who hadn't been riding it for a long time because of a bad back. It only had 21,000 miles on it. I thought it may just have some varnish problems in the carbs from fuel sitting too long, so I have been adding some Chevron carb additive when filling up. So far it hasn't seemed to stop either issue. The bike runs pretty well so I haven't felt like I need to rush it into a dealer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Idle

Postby dingdong » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:30 am

You probably have a vacuum leak or the carbs need to be synchronized. There are numerous vacuum lines associated with the carbs that get brittle with age. There is one on the left side near the left rear spark plug with a 90* bend that many times is the problem. This sounds strange but with idle surges you can work the idle adjust knob, under the gas lid right front corner, back and forth a few times to free the cable and that sometimes solves the problem. You can check for vacuum leaks with a, unlit, propane bottle sprayed around the carbs. If the idle changes then you have found a leak. Sorry to say some tupperware has to come off to do this.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”