Peace of mind please!!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Forester
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Peace of mind please!!

Postby Forester » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:04 am

Hi Everybody,
As a newbie owner of a 2000 GL 1500 SE (6 months) I have been working through all the "must do" tasks with the aid of all the amazing help on this forum.
This is what I have done over the winter months while the bike was off the road:
Timing belts changed, front wheel off and new tyre fitted, cooling fluid changed, oil/filter changed, carbs balanced, fork oil changed, drive oil changed, fuel filter changed, alternator upgraded to 90amp, new battery fitted and all the air filters changed. So I am pretty happy I know where I am with the bike.
Today was the shakedown ride. All seems well, started ok,idles ok, power delivery is fine, handling good etc. However, there is one niggling problem. When accelerating up through the gears between approx 1400rpm and say 2000 I get a throaty/rasping engine note that then goes away at cruising speed. I don't remember noticing that before.
The engine ticks over perfectly and the noise is not noticeable when the throttle is blipped. I have checked the air filter again and checked over the exhaust as best I could.
Could someone please give me peace of mind that I am not about to cause damage through something I might have done! Could it simply be the effect of the new air filters?

Cheers!!

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Peace of mind please!!

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:19 am

I've got one idea to throw at you. You said you replaced the alternator with a 90A. If your old one is still working, I would be really curious to see if re-installing it cures your noise issue. I had/have a similar noise, and it coincided with replacement of the alternator, an 85A in my case. I replaced the obligatory rubber dampers, and it works fine, and has been great for the past year. But, it makes a noise similar to, if not identical, what you describe. My OEM alternator is dead, so I can't run this little test. When purchasing my new alternator, noise and vibration issues seemed to be the norm for these high output alternators, based an many comments in the forums. I have a theory that the added electromagnetic force needed to generate the higher amperage, is the culprit. I'd love to have someone confirm my suspicion. If you swap it out, and the noise is gone, I'd love to hear about your findings.

BTW, mine occurs at the same RPM range. Over 2000, it's essentially gone.

Forester

Postby Forester » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks for your reply
I'd be happy to try this out. I have the 40 A which is still functioning. It might be a few days until I can get around to it but it would be really interesting to see what happens

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm assuming you installed new rubber alternator dampeners when you upgraded the alternator, right?

Forester

Postby Forester » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Yes, they were all replaced

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Forester wrote:Thanks for your reply
I'd be happy to try this out. I have the 40 A which is still functioning. It might be a few days until I can get around to it but it would be really interesting to see what happens

Thought you might find this interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32023

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:56 am

The square tipped tailpipes of the later years do have a raspier exhaust note. That being said if any components of air box are not tight you will get induction noise most notable the hose at bottom right of the box if not connected as that can be a problem for reattachment.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Forester

Postby Forester » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:32 am

Thank you. I did think at first it might have something to do with the air box but I checked that and all was ok.
I'm homing in on the alternator right now which will involve replacing the old one to see the effect and then trying the new one again with the paddles in different positions to see if this makes a difference. I'll post the results.

Cheers

Forester

Postby Forester » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:38 am

Finally got to work on the bike after a week of long shifts.
I replaced the 90 with the old 40 and the noise went away. For me, this didn't really solve the problem as I wanted an upgrade!. I put the 90 back on and the rumble started again but not as bad. Next, I pulled the alternator again, rotated the paddle 45 degrees and refitted as I had been recommeded to try. Lo and behold...problem gone. I can't explain why this works but it did. The bike is now running silky smooth again. No more messing with the bike now until winter....just riding!
Cheers

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Forester wrote:Finally got to work on the bike after a week of long shifts.
I replaced the 90 with the old 40 and the noise went away. For me, this didn't really solve the problem as I wanted an upgrade!. I put the 90 back on and the rumble started again but not as bad. Next, I pulled the alternator again, rotated the paddle 45 degrees and refitted as I had been recommeded to try. Lo and behold...problem gone. I can't explain why this works but it did. The bike is now running silky smooth again. No more messing with the bike now until winter....just riding!
Cheers

Interesting. Never heard of that solution. May try it. I have no idea why that would make a difference.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”