Poor FM reception 94 GL1500SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
68firebirdman
Motorcycle: 2007 VTX 1800N

Poor FM reception 94 GL1500SE

Postby 68firebirdman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Ok so Im at a loss and need some guidance I have recently installed a Clarion amp on my 94 GL1500SE and am now having trouble with the FM signal. the amp has its own relay & is powered right off of the battery, the ground is right to the battery.

When I installed the amp I pulled the input signal right from out of the radio and had the stock front speaker wires disconnected but when I went to test the unit it worked fine on am & cassette but had no fm signal. I reconnected the stock front wires which are not connected to the front speakers as I ran new wires from the amp to the new front speakers. this allowed me to get a weak fm station but not some further stations. I got 95.9 but couldn't get 97.1 or 97.9 a little bit further stations but which should still come in. I have continuity from the antenna to the male plug at the radio but not sure what the impedance is supposed to be.

I am kinda at a lose to explain firstly why the stock speaker wires affect the fm reception, and also why the signal would be weak.

any help would be greatly appreciated

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Re: Poor FM reception 94 GL1500SE

Postby wing rider 2012 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:48 pm

68firebirdman wrote:Ok so Im at a loss and need some guidance I have recently installed a Clarion amp on my 94 GL1500SE and am now having trouble with the FM signal. the amp has its own relay & is powered right off of the battery, the ground is right to the battery.

When I installed the amp I pulled the input signal right from out of the radio and had the stock front speaker wires disconnected but when I went to test the unit it worked fine on am & cassette but had no fm signal. I reconnected the stock front wires which are not connected to the front speakers as I ran new wires from the amp to the new front speakers. this allowed me to get a weak fm station but not some further stations. I got 95.9 but couldn't get 97.1 or 97.9 a little bit further stations but which should still come in. I have continuity from the antenna to the male plug at the radio but not sure what the impedance is supposed to be.

I am kinda at a lose to explain firstly why the stock speaker wires affect the fm reception, and also why the signal would be weak.

any help would be greatly appreciated

I don't think that your speaker connection would interfere with your FM reception. Make sure your antenna connector if firmly installed into the radio, a poorly connected antenna will effect you FM reception more so than AM. On the antenna connector (Motorola style) there is the inner connector and the shield, the shield is the outer metal shield that secures the antenna into the radio plug, the inner pin (that's the long narrow center pin) is what carries the signal. When checking the continuity make sure you check both of these.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

68firebirdman

Postby 68firebirdman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:36 pm

Thats what I thought but the speaker wires allowed a weak fm signal back.

68firebirdman

Postby 68firebirdman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:41 pm

So I have continuity in all the right places. just for the heck of it I Hooked my 94 f-250 antenna right into the bike radio and got good clear stations, I then connected the bike antenna to the radio of my truck and got good clear music. but when i connect the bikes antenna to the bikes radio it is a weak to no reception

Please anyone have any thoughts?

Am i mistaken in thinking that the speakers and fader would have no effect on the reception?

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Postby hugger-4641 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:53 am

Rear speakers and fader should have no effect on reception, but what will have an effect is something I did accidentally once. Check you antenna leads under the seat and make sure that someone has not accidentally crossed up the stereo antenna into the CB radio cable. The coax and connectors are the same for both antennas and will easily plug into the wrong cable, but neither CB or FM will work well if this happens.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”