Bent center stand?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Bent center stand?

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:06 pm

Last week, on a nice day, I had the shop door open. I was out there tinkering around changing oil, rear gear lube and whatever. The bike was on the center stand.
I had went to the house for lunch. Then, when I approached the open shop door, I noticed my bike was leaning to the right a little bit. I had finished changing oil and lube so I just put it on the sidestand.

Today I went out to check my center stand. Everything looked okay up where it mounts. I moved it and put it up on the center stand again. Again it leaned towards the right. So I put a 1"X 6" board down and put it up again.
Now it sets level! Great! Except the pedal on the center stand is against the floor. Shouldn't it be about 3/4" or more above the floor?
Is it bent?

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Bent center stand?

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:45 am

mine also "leans" as does another friends 1500 both are different years neither are damaged or rusted so I assume this is normal, although for the life of me I dont see why 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:28 am

I never noticed my 1100 or any of my 1200's leaning one way or the other while on the center stand.
Mine will sit level if I put it up on a board. Have you or your friend tried doing that?

Just thinking on it. On a flat level surface, the bike would come to rest on the same spot of the hinge every time because of the pedal arm.
When I put it up on a board, it breaks past center and goes just a little bit further than normal and now it's resting on a different area on the hinge. So now it sits level.
Its not bent, its just worn. Don't know if that's right or I explained it in an understandable way, but that's what I'm going with for now. :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
USCA# 8913
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
Bridgestone Battlax 130/70 18

Postby aj1500 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:50 am

I'm on my second 1500 and both of them leaned a little to the right on the center stand
I don't have to worry about that anymore but I used to wonder why myself

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Postby Greenwinger » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 pm

My 97 SE leans to the right also, but I have only noticed it in the last couple of years.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Mine leans a little to the right also.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:56 pm

It appears that more than a few have this problem.
Turned out to be a nice day today but I just didn't have time to work on the bike.
I'm working on my motorcycle trailer, done some yard work and ended up getting roped in to building a dog house.
:twisted:
I'd like to pull my center stand off and look at it. See if I can put a sleeve on the right side. But the wife wants a house for the dogs. Soooooo...... :roll:

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:09 pm

Mine is NOT bent, I have looked. That is why I went to look at another 1500 to compare.It is not enough to bother me, its just the nature of the beast. Maybe its designed that way by Mother Honda to shed water from the seat when its parked in the rain, or to drive those of us with OCD a little more crazy and they can charge us an hour shop time to tell us its normal. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:10 am

Hahahahahaha! You might be right. It's part of Mother Honda's devious plan to drive us crazy. (Or crazier?) :lol:

I think it's working. I saw the price of a new Goldwing a couple months ago.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Each squeak sounds like "new wing, new wing, new wing". :D

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Oh, thank God!! I've been worrying about this for some time - my 1500 leans to the right, too (a 1" block under the right side foot levels the bike). I've been under there with a flashlight, and for the life of me, I couldn't see anything bent, weak, corroded, or otherwise imperfect.

NOW, I know it's NOT JUST ME!!

Thanks, folks - that's one more issue I don't have to worry about!!

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:17 pm

I got my shop manual out to see how the center stand assembly comes apart and goes together. I thought I might be able to do something to "fix" it.
I found the sidestand but nothing about the center stand. It must be a very simple affair or something they figured no one could screw up. Like an anvil. :D

I would be out in the shop right now with a few tools and a drop light but I messed up my left hand building honey baby darlings doghouse. :roll:
I was thinking well the weekend forecast looks good and then I find out we're going to out grandsons first birthday party on Saturday. :lol:
Be glad when the weather turns nice and most everyday is a good day to ride! :D
Maybe between now and Saturday I can get out to the shop and have a good look-see at that center stand.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:53 pm

Well I guess this leaning a tad to the right is something I'll just have to live with. I pulled it off and cleaned it all up. There is a slight groove in the pipe the bike sits on when its on the center stand, but it's very slight. Not enough to explain this lean to the right. (At least I don't think so.)
So I thought make some kind of "shoe" for the right leg of the center stand. :D
I had an old wore out Pirelli motorcycle tire laying around so I cut a strip about 2" wide out of the tread and wired it around the "foot" of the right leg.
I thought it might be too thick but if it made it lean to the left, I knew I'd be on the right track.
When I put it up on the center stand, it was sitting level! :D. Problem solved, I thought. When I looked closely, the right leg was on the floor and the pedal arm was on the floor. The left leg was about a 1/2" above the floor. :roll:
Now it's all back together just like before I started, except it's a whole lot cleaner, the pivot pipe/shaft is all greased up and nothing squeaks like it did. So it's not perfect but it's better. :)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”