clutch issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
mike188
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing trike..

clutch issue

Postby mike188 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:41 pm

I have a 1994 Goldwing Trike. While delivering some papers, I was doing a lot of clutch and braking going between mailboxes. At one point, while squeezing the clutch handle, it felt like a cable broke because there was no tension on the handle and the bike jerked once and shut off. I checked the cable and everything seemed ok. A few minutes later, the clutch handle seemed back to normal and the bike started without any problem. I took it home, but while accelerating, it seemed like the transmission was slipping some. At home I checked the fluid level but can't really tell if there's anything in there, the little view port is not showing anything. In looking at the brake fluid reservoir that looks the same to me. As you can tell I'm not mechanically minded. Anything simple I can do here. thanks in advance..

smitty716
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: clutch issue

Postby smitty716 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:35 pm

You can pull the lids off with a phillips screw driver and check fluid lvl that way. That's the way I did mine and it was low , ended up adding fluid and bleeding the clutch

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:31 am

What cable are you referring to? There is no clutch cable on the 1500. It is strictly hydraulic. Start by checking fluid level in reservoir by removing the cover. You will more than likely have to bleed the system.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

mike188

Postby mike188 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:24 pm

I checked the fluid and added very little and bled the master as per instructions I found on line. In talking to a motorcycle mechanic, he said that I probably burned up the plates and need to replace the whole clutch system. he also said not to ride the bike because more damage will be done. I'm at a loss of what to do. Anybody know what the cost would be to replace a clutch system? Can I drive the bike to a shop without causing more damage? help.... thanks

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:52 pm

How many miles on this trike? And was this mechanic someone you know and trust?
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm no expert or near expert on this, but it sounds to me like your master or slave cylinder on the clutch system by passed fluid past the seals. If you had no clutch problems before this event, and the amount driven with it slipping was minimal back to your home, I doubt the clutch is toast. If you bled the master, I assume you also bled the slave, since that is where the bleed screw is located.
Have you tried it since bleeding, and was your bleeding job done well ? A complete flush of old fluid would be a good thing, as opposed to just bleeding it. In other words, bleed it until clean fresh fluid is exiting the bleed screw at the slave.
I would think the clutch slip would be obvious to determine, if still slipping.
I've had 2 occasions in my life when the master cylinder on the brakes of an automobile have "bypassed", which is the best term I can use. I hit the brakes, and NADA, nothing, the pedal went straight to the floor. I immediately released the pedal, reapplied, and then had full brakes again. It'll scare the crap out of you. The brake fluid slipped past the brake master cylinder seals once, but then seemingly corrected itself an instant later. The correct fix was replacement of the master brake cylinder, in both cases.
By your description, it sounds like 2 things happened:
1.) The fluid in the master or slave bypassed the seals and caused the clutch to immediately engage, stalling the bike.
2.) The fluid pressure in the slave built up and was unable to release, causing the clutch to slip. That's a different situation. From what I've read, it can be caused by a blockage in the tiny hole of the master cylinder that relieves pressure when you release the clutch handle.
Those are 2 separate, and distinctly different issues. A really good flushing of the system might help. But I'd be wary of the seals in the system since it bypassed once.
In any case, try to determine if you have a slipping clutch first. If not, concentrate on the hydraulic system, by flushing, and checking the hole in the clutch reservoir for blockage.

mike188

Postby mike188 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:05 pm

I didn't bleed the slave.. I'm lucky I figured out what I did.. I need to take it in and have a mechanic bleed the system the correct way. thanks for your reply.

mike188

Postby mike188 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:15 am

the bike has 25,000 miles....

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:30 pm

The GL1500 clutch is incredible tough.
I have NEVER heard of one burning out. I KNOW of several bikes with 200,000 + miles with no issues.
More than likely it is the slave cylinder or the entire fluid system need to be maintained correctly.
Changing oil frequently with the proper oil will also keep you clutch in peak operating condition.
Be sure to have a mechanic with hydraulic clutch experience (preferably Goldwing experience) look at it.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”