Left and Right handlebar controls on 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
BOSNBOB
Motorcycle: 1993 ASPENCADE

Left and Right handlebar controls on 1500

Postby BOSNBOB » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:03 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knows what year the the lighted handlebar controls come out for the 1500 Goldwing and is it just for the SE model. I have a 1993 Aspencade and its not the SE. Do you know if the lighted one will go on my bike and work as long as I get them from an SE.

BMC SW/USN RETIRED
1993 Aspencade

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Left and Right handlebar controls on 1500

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:03 pm

The lit handlebar controls were introduced in 1990 on the 1500SE only. I wanted to fit them to my 1993 1500A some years ago, but never got around to it. My suspicions could be totally wrong, but I cannot even imagine Honda designing and manufacturing switch assemblies just to illuminate the controls on the 1500 SE only, just inserting bulbs makes more sense to me. I have read that the A and SE have the same internal design, but I cannot confirm this. If I were you and wanted to do this, I would take a look inside a switch assembly to see if Honda did just put bulbs in the SE assembly. Take great care though, the wiring and layout is a little complex and intricate. You have nothing to loose, but what you have to gain are free illuminated controls.

Unless someone can confirm otherwise.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 am

SE models have plastic lenses to allow the light to show through. Aspy controls are solid metal with painted lettering.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:... but I cannot even imagine Honda designing and manufacturing switch assemblies just to illuminate the controls on the 1500 SE only, just inserting bulbs makes more sense to me. I have read that the A and SE have the same internal design, but I cannot confirm this. If I were you and wanted to do this, I would take a look inside a switch assembly to see if Honda did just put bulbs in the SE assembly. Take great care though, the wiring and layout is a little complex and intricate. You have nothing to loose, but what you have to gain are free illuminated controls.

Unless someone can confirm otherwise.

I'll confirm it. A few years ago my kill switch failed and the dealer said that I would have to replace the entire switch pod. eBay to the rescue! I purchased a used assembly and found out that it wasn't from an SE. I installed it anyway. This past weekend I gutted the replacement and re-installed the original with blue LEDs. The insides of the housings are different.
Upper housing
Upper housing

Plus there are two additional wire pins in the brown socket that may not be in the Aspencade's wiring harness.
Attachments
Lower housing
Lower housing
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:28 pm

dingdong and Fiberthree, so SE handlebar casings were manufactured just for the SE, interesting to learn, I guess I have become too disgruntled with Honda. Would you believe I rode 1500's for 20 years and never knew that. I knew the first SE I had the switch assemblies lit, although I could never really tell, but after that I just figured the bulbs had gone. I was never too interested until I bought a 1800, and was disappointed that the switch assemblies were not illuminated, as with many things I have found with the 1800 to my dismay. So it appears all BOSNBOB has to do is populate the empty pins on the brown connector to illuminate the controls, connecting to the lighting circuit in the fairing will be a doddle. Well at least he will not have to have them shipped across the Atlantic. Great photo's, I never think to take photos.
Like your avatar Fiberthree, especially the angel eyes. I often wonder what drivers think when they see thing like that appear in their rear view mirror at night.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:17 am

Big Blue UK wrote:...
Like your avatar Fiberthree, especially the angel eyes. I often wonder what drivers think when they see thing like that appear in their rear view mirror at night.

Thank you. I'm just happy that they see me!

Here are the controls all lit with the help of blue LEDs.
Attachments
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:29 am

I really wanted them on the 1800, I was pleased to find Rivco manufactured illuminated decals for it, as soon as I saw them I had to have them. clever design they are too.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25289&p=143703&hilit=handlebar#p143703
Shame the penny pinching is all too important for Honda on a = to $36,000 solo (UK).

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”