windshields

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

windshields

Postby hugger-4641 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:40 am

Ok, I know there are several threads here about windshields, but I wanted an up-to-date opinion from some of you more experienced wing riders. I had a nearly catastrophic experience with my windshield recently. I hit a VERY BAD pothole on I-40 that I could not see in time because I was behind a semi. My windshield broke in half at the vent and slammed into my face and chest at 70mph. I managed to keep my composure and get stopped at which time I threw the windshield over the guard rail along with a few words I am ashamed to repeat. Anybody else ever had this experience?
Anyway, I put the old stock windshield back on for now. I am a little weary of buying another windshield identical to the one I had as it was only 2yrs old. It was lexan and a couple inches longer than stock, but not a Tulsa Tall. I don't want a Tulsa Tall, so my question is: Should I go with Lucite or back with Lexan from a different brand, what are your opinions and experiences ?

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: windshields

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 am

First of all, you should contact the manufacturer of the shield that broke! Pretty sure most would want what's left of it back to take a look and you might get a refund!
Secondly, IMHO, the best is F4 customs!
Also, how about telling us the brand that broke????

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 am

My bike had a Tulsa Tall (or similar sized) windshield on it, and when I first bought the bike I LOVED it, until my first rain storm ! What a piece of junk for anyone who rides in all weather (IMO), so I took it off and put on a Wind-Bender from http://www.firecreekacc.com .

I love this thing, it has the stock range of motion, PLUS a full 3 to 4 inches of adjustment, so I can go low for summer riding, up a little above stock screen height for winter, or anything in between with no tools and a few seconds to a min worth of time, they even offer a electric option that allows you to adjust on the fly. . . .

I have had it right at a year now, with no scratching issues, I use PLEDGE wipes to clean it, and no visible vibration issues like I had with the Tulsa Tall

I do agree, go TRY to find the busted piece of your old screen, return it to the manufacture, and let them know your thoughts on their product. If they offer you a refund, GREAT, if not. . . so then you, and we, know who NOT to deal with in the future.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:20 pm

Ditto what tfdeputydawg says above. I have had a F4 for a number of years with one problem that was resolved by the manufacturer. I have hit a pothole that damaged a front fork oil seal but the windshield is fine!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:12 am

First of all, I'm glad you were able to ride home and didn't wake up in a hospital, or worse! :roll:
Like the others, I'd like to know what brand windshield that broke.
I don't have a recommendation for a new windshield. Until last November, I didn't have a Goldwing for about 15 years. I think I've got a Tulsa Tall. So far it's fine, but I might not like it so much come the hot temps of summer. :lol:
Again, glad you made it home okay.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Nice save. Those windshields aren't light. F4 customs standard here and its been an excellent windshield. If your worried about strength I think they have a video of them hitting one with a baseball bat several times. The shield is about 2 1/2 yrs old now and looks in great shape and good clarity still.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Postby hugger-4641 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:58 am

Thanks for the responses! I really didn't want to jump the gun slam the vendor since I can't find my records yet to prove where I got it. The windshield that broke probably had 40k to 50k miles in the 2yrs +- it was on the bike. Still, it should not have broken like that, so I am now very leery of buying another one like it . It was clear, taller than standard, and had the vent already installed. It was brand new and I pulled the protective covering off myself when I installed it. I'm 99% positive I bought it online from Memphis Shades, but not 100%. My e-bay records only go back to 2014 and I can't find it in there, so I must have bought it in 2013. I never throw a receipt away, so I know I've got the packing receipt filed somewhere when I get a chance to hunt for it.
Anyhow, I appreciate the replies and I will definitely take a look at the F4 and the others mentioned.

CA_Guy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE

Postby CA_Guy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:02 pm

The F4 is the only way to go if you are concerned about it breaking again. They show them hitting it with a baseball bat. Mine looks like the day that I put it on my bike, and i could not be happier with it.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:12 am

I think they have a video of them hitting one with a baseball bat several times

Is this the video you had in mind? It is a polycarbonate v acrylic comparison.

It is very unusual for polycarbonate to shatter and break as Hugger describes, UNLESS the screen has been contaminated with substances which will weaken it. One common way to do this is to use polishes/cleaners containing petroleum distillates.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:49 am

If the windshield broke that way I am pretty sure it's not lexan. Lexan is very tough material ,you can bind it in any way and it don't break. I think you get a plexiglass one instead.

Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”