rear master cylinder

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TerryRuth
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 aspecade

rear master cylinder

Postby TerryRuth » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:46 pm

if you have an issue with this
ORDER A NEW ONE
You will definitly not want to do it twice
It must be one of the first things they put on because you garage will look like a used honda scrap bussiness by the time you get to it and mine took 3 days to arrive

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: rear master cylinder

Postby Happytrails » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 pm

TerryRuth wrote:if you have an issue with this
ORDER A NEW ONE
It must be one of the first things they put on because you garage will look like a used honda scrap bussiness by the time you get to it and mine took 3 days to arrive

Absolutely yes. Its almost funny just how buried the rear master cylinder is.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 pm

You mean it's worse than the thermostat?? :shock:
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

TerryRuth
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 aspecade

Postby TerryRuth » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:44 pm

the whole right side...voltage reg and plate,, crash bar, exhaust manifold , BOTH MUFFS-- RIGHT SADDLE TANK catalytic crossover foot pegs BOTH just take off everything on the right side and above battery and box .... 2 days to take apart same to assemble

Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
1988 NX 650

Postby Snowmoer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:13 pm

But you still have to remove all of those parts to put a new one in! Once you get the old one out, they are not that hard to rebuild. Make sure you put on stainless steel brake lines while you have it out. You only want to have to get to that thing one time.

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:10 pm

The only caveat might be that the rear master cylinder has a proportioning valve built in. And I dont think its rebuildable nor can it be accessed/opened to be cleaned out. Not even sure whats inside of it. So maybe its not a concern but I didn't know so I replaced mine. Only wanted to do it once. But ended up having to do it twice :o :o
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

hollowhead
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500I

Postby hollowhead » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:02 pm

I took the side covers,battery and battery box off then bent a wrench and removed rear MC.can only move about half a flat at a time but it's better than taking all the other stuff off.

marv@hestonphoto.com
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing SE 1500

Postby marv@hestonphoto.com » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:57 pm

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=32517#ixzz4CXZIVyeS
Terry Ruth

if you have an issue with this
ORDER A NEW ONE
It must be one of the first things they put on because you garage will look like a used honda scrap bussiness by the time you get to it and mine took 3 days to arriv

Terry,

Where did you buy a new one?

Marv
Marv
--------------------------------------------
There are 3 kinds of rider, Those that have, Those that will, and Those that Lie about it.

Greenmtnman
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 se

Postby Greenmtnman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:20 pm

I have been searching for instructions on how to remove and replace the rear master cylinder for a 1994 gold wing SE but haven't been successful. So I jumped right in and started taking things apart.
I have the collector/mufflers removed along with the battery/tray,seat,front lower schoud and crash bar all removed. I still can't seem to be able to get the MS out. However,I do have one of the steel brake lines unhooked,but can't get to the other one. The resevoir and hose is also removed.
Here I'm stuck. If anyone can help me from here on, I would be very greatful.

marv@hestonphoto.com

Postby marv@hestonphoto.com » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:26 pm

Greenmtnman

You have to remove the heat shield with the voltage regulator attached to it. Two bolts on the left and right sides and 6 smaller bolts again 3 left and right sides, you'll then be able to remove the heat shield and voltage regulator to get to the backside of the MC. You also have to remove the electrical switches and stuff attached to the MC.

This only goes to show what great engineering the Goldwing is - they couldn't have made this any harder to remove if they tried, and when you are done you're sure that no more part could be removed from your bike.
Marv
There are 3 kinds of rider, Those that have, Those that will, and Those that Lie about it.

Greenmtnman

Postby Greenmtnman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks Marv. I've looked for days for some info on doing this job. Got so frustrate that I just closed my eyes and dove in. Hope I haven't dismantled more then I needed to.
Your absolutely correct about the engineers.
They couldn't make it any harder if they tried.
The over educated idiots have no clue when it comes to doing maintance and repairs.
Thanks again I'm going out to do it now.

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Good luck on your brake jobs. Honda wasn't messing around when they hid the rear master cylinder :D

Its in there somewhere :lol:

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Greenmtnman

Postby Greenmtnman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Finally got in there and removed the MS.
Got it all apart and cleaned up, ready to be rebuilt.
Need to pick up some DOT 4 brake fluid, then I can put things back together.
Then two days of putting things back on. Almost down to bare frame and engine. Lol.
Then I need to tear the rear end down to get at the rear caliper bleeder screw.( and the front too of coarse ).

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:14 am

Greenmtnman wrote:Thanks Marv. I've looked for days for some info on doing this job. Got so frustrate that I just closed my eyes and dove in. Hope I haven't dismantled more then I needed to.
Your absolutely correct about the engineers.
They couldn't make it any harder if they tried.
The over educated idiots have no clue when it comes to doing maintance and repairs.

Just about every square inch of space on the 1500 has some device or wiring attached, what would you delete to make access easier?

The master cylinders are very robust and if not abused/neglected should last the life of the machine.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

marv@hestonphoto.com

Postby marv@hestonphoto.com » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:44 am

CT1500,

Don't misunderstand us, we love our wings, but as non-mechanics it's a daunting task to tackle the rear brake MC and a little poking fun at the creative engineers helps us get through it.

Not all of us are so luck as to have a mechanic like yourself would will work on their vintage bike.

My local Honda shop made an appointment for the bike knowing the vintage age, but when the day arrived they told me the MC was locked up and if the proportioning valve was broken/stuck that they couldn't fix it and they'd return my bike to me in a box and charge me, because the MC proportioning valve can not be repaired or replaced. :oops:

So, I dove into the project myself, thinking I had nothing to loose and everything to gain... since then I've learned that I can buy a brand new MC! So basically the mechanic didn't want to do the job, or was too stupid to know that MCs are still available for my bike, BUT that's a rant for a different day. :P
Marv

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:40 pm

Better off just to dive right in there. Just beware how fast your collection of tools grows :D :lol:
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE
Pearl Bermuda Green

Postby bellboy40 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:09 pm

You guys are making me want to take real good care of my brakes. :D I don't ever want to tackle that job! That reminds me, I need to go out and flush the brake fluid in mine soon. It has been about two years since I did that.

hollowhead
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500I

Postby hollowhead » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:36 pm

hollowhead wrote:I took the side covers,battery and battery box off then bent a wrench and removed rear MC.can only move about half a flat at a time but it's better than taking all the other stuff off.

Greenmtnman

Postby Greenmtnman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:18 pm

I got the MC rebuilt and reinstalled.
Now for the replace process.
Had to take the mufflers off of the collector for better install.
Replaced the collector,heat shields,right manifold,mufflers and some shrouds.
I have the battery box,battery,reservoir,seat and the remainder of the shrouds.
Then it's on to filling up the reservoir and bleeding the brakes.
Tearing apart the left rear saddle bag and left front wheel cover to access the bleeder screws.
What a wonderful job.lol
The one thing that I would re-engineer is to reconfigure the location of the back brake line.
That and the nipple to the reservoir can be redesigned.
If that was achieved, I think I could have gotten the MC out a lot easier.
It would be nice if the engineers that design vehicles, would keep in mind that maintance needs to be preformed. GLWT

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:51 pm

They intentionally do that so you won't attempt to do your own repairs and take it back to the dealership for service.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:18 pm

I agree... its a conspiracy. Then they futs up the repairs so you have to bring it back again..

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:22 pm

Charlie1Horse wrote:They intentionally do that so you won't attempt to do your own repairs and take it back to the dealership for service.

That wouldn't be bad if they would only train them better so the job was done right the first time.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Greenmtnman

Postby Greenmtnman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 am

After completing the MC job, I had to bleed the brake lines so I attempted the reverse flow with a seringe.
After completing, the brakes didn't have much of a pedal/lever, so I did a suction flow with the seringe.
I got a little better pedal/lever but not what I was expecting.
I had to resort to the conventional method.
After preforming that technic, I had a pedal/lever that I could live with, literally.
They both would lock up the wheels if needed.
Job well done! :)

sprintexec
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE Aspencade

Postby sprintexec » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:41 am

My experiences dealing with a failed rear brake master cylinder echo those of previous commentators on this post. It takes time, the will to be prepared to solve what seems like the insoluble puzzle of removing the exhaust heat shield and numerous other 'fun' things! However if I can manage to do it I'm sure that you can also get the job done. Because of the extortionate cost of a replacement master cylinder I rebuilt mine with a kit - three pieces of silicone rubber - the seals, plus a chunk of aluminium and a spring... it's not rocket science but then these things seldom are once you pluck up the courage to get stuck in! :lol: :lol:

Greenmtnman

Postby Greenmtnman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:59 pm

After doing all that work with the MC, while putting everything back together ,I F'd up the trunk release.
While re installing the saddle bag release cable, I didn't put enough importance into making damn sure that the trunk release mechanism was properly installed before i closed the trunk. MY BAD.
Now I can't get my trunk opened. I have tried everything that I can think of to get it back open.
A hook to get at the release bar, but it's not moving.(I used an inspection scope to make sure that I was engaged with the bar.)
Can anybody help and offer some advise? Besides the obvious of course!
I appreciate any and all help.
Thank you.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”