forks, valves and other problems

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tomelliott
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 SE

forks, valves and other problems

Postby tomelliott » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:50 pm

So where to began? I bought the bike , 94 1500se, in the late fall and did not get to ride it but a few days until now. I fixed a few minor things in the fall but have not rode it much until now. So after a ride and getting on the gas a bite during the ride I noticed a missing, puttering , dull sound on one side. It would clear up above 2500 or so, or I could not hear it. I thought I must have a dead cylinder or a stuck vale. Well short story is, I swear this is the short version, I have 215lbs on the left side and 210lbs on compression on all the right side. Sound is coming from the right and good spark all the way around. So no dead hole or open valve ( not sure that a valve was sticking and stopped ) but I still have a clicking on the right side ( facing forward while on the bike ). So after a lot of reading I added sea foam to the gas and oil. 2 oz to the oil and some to the tank. My question is this. given what I have read and still being confused, I believe that the 94 1500 is a hydraulic lifter bike. but may or may not ( here is were I get mixed info and can not figure it out) require shins that have to be adjusted or redone xx number of miles?? Can anyone clarify that, and I mean proof positive one way other the other, not I think or I assume and I feel.... I need to know.

On to problem two. Fork seals. Mine leak or I should say leaked. I fixed the leak after much reading and hand wringing by making a seal tool myself and cleaning out the seals. Now they do not leak and I did not have to replace the seals, yeah me. They had been leaking for a while so the fluid is low I am sure. I have the removable air valves on the top so yeah not removing the forks. Why I do need to know is 1) There is mention of a "anti dive valve"? that I can open to drain the forks, but no mention of where that is? I know on the bottom of the forks but the only pic I can find are there for the drain plug inside the fork/wheel hub thingy. Do I have to remove the wheel to drain the oil or is there another plug I am missing? Also there is mention or how much to oil to put in but I hear different number. My options include 1) drain and fill with ?? amount of fluid OR 2) measure current level and fill with right amount to ??inches from the top. So what is the right amount of fluid and what is the right measurement from the top? Also if there are air valves , how much air PSI should there be in the forks? Is this a range for personal taste? or a set number?

So there you have it my questions for the day.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: forks, valves and other problems

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Can't help you with the noise, but my recollection of the lifters is that they are hydraulic. No adjustment is needed or possible.

The best article I ever came across, and the method I use for fork oil change is the following link.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... right.html

If you don't know when the oil was last changed, I would drain it all, and refill it. I don't remember the drain bolt being difficult to locate. The best photos I can find are below. I use Honda SS-8 (10W oil) as I recall. Every 2 years.
Attachments

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Air pressure in the front fork should not exceed 6psi when measured with the bike on the center stand. Use a bicycle hand pump to pressurize them NOT a shop compressor. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

tomelliott

Postby tomelliott » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:37 pm

Thank you for the link to that how to article. I will doing that this weekend. I have took the advice to run sea foam in the motor for a while and it seems to worked a little. noise comes and goes now.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:29 pm

While you have the Seafoam in the engine oil, do not run it hard, or for very long as it thins out the oil. I would change the oil once you have reached 150 mi with it in it! Run some non synthetic name brand 15W40 diesel oil in it as it is a high detergent oil and better withstands the shearing effects of the transmission gears

tomelliott

Postby tomelliott » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:56 am

Thank you for the link to that how to article. I will doing that this weekend. I have took the advice to run sea foam in the motor for a while and it seems to worked a little. noise comes and goes now.

tomelliott

Postby tomelliott » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Well I changed the fork oil yesterday. What a mess. Should have removed the air valves before I pumped the forks up and down after I removed the drain plugs. Sprayed oil everywhere. Was just not thinking . I was able to find a "fork fill kit" at the local bike shop. It was a long metal tube connected to a plastic tube of equal length topped off with a syringe. It worked ok but the oil would get past the plunger on the syringe and run down my hand. Was not able to put air in but took it for a ride and it feels a lot better. I will recheck the level today and go get a tire pump to finish it off but already glad of the change.

15w40 diesel? I don't know enough to argue but I will give it a try. Running 10 40 in it now with the sea foam. have about 100 miles on it so far So will do a oil change soon. Should I replace the filter now or wait until I have ran a few oil changes thought the system first.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:19 pm

When you dump the oil with the Seafoam in it and install the fresh oil, install a new oil filter as well

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”