Installing Rear Fender Light

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tim.mckee
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL 1500 Aspencade Goldwing

Installing Rear Fender Light

Postby tim.mckee » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:20 pm

I recently purchased the rear fender light to replace the reflector on my 1999 Aspencade. The instructions say to remove two 5mm bolts in order to remove the reflector. Problem is, the bolts are located behind the reflector and you can't get to them. SO, how do I get the reflector off of the fender in order to install the light?

Tim M

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Installing Rear Fender Light

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:00 pm

The two small acorn nuts are easy to remove with an open end wrench. You can reach them from behind the rear fender panel. (Between the tire and the fender.)

Take off the stainless moulding clip that bridges the gap between the saddle bags and the center piece and the one on the side of the left saddle bag.

Remove the two phillips head screws securing the lower cover. The electrical connection is accessed behind the left saddle bag lower cover.
Last edited by Fiberthree on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

tim.mckee

Postby tim.mckee » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks Ed but that is not my problem. I cannot seem to get the reflector off of the bike in order to install the light. The reflector I'm referring to is right below the license plate.

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:29 pm

This one?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

tim.mckee

Postby tim.mckee » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Yup that be the one. Do I have to take the entire middle section off to get the reflector off?

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:34 pm

No. Those two acorn nuts should do the trick. (reference the first photo) If you don't have a 5mm open end wrench a 7/32 will work. If not then removing the panel is the next option.
Ed

tim.mckee

Postby tim.mckee » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks Ed, I have a ride tomorrow then will work on it Sunday AM. I appreciate your info and will let you know how it goes.

johnfliesagain
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Anniversary Badge
Yamaha 79 XS750; 80 XS850
Picture of one of my Triples Yamaha xs750 '79 at Timonium Bike Show 2015

Postby johnfliesagain » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:56 am

tim.mckee wrote:Yup that be the one. Do I have to take the entire middle section off to get the reflector off?

Before you pull it apart and have to go to the store, I just replaced mine, used a Philips # 89 bulb about$4.50 fo a two pack. didn't find any LED versions.

My back to lay on isn't that good. So I took the hard way.

Remove seat ( first step in anything right?)

Remove left saddle bag.

Remove license plate.

Remove trim piece that covers the underside of the trunk.

Remove screws that mount the fender ( under the license plate.)

There are tabs that fit into the left and right saddle bag along the edges... maybe three on a side

Can't get it out yet... one more screw, under right saddle bag, under the little plastic cover that you pop off.

Pay attention to the socket and its orientation. On mine there were two retaining tabs of unequal length, and one locking pin...but two slots. . So I inserted the two tabs, the locking pin keep part of the lamp socket 'cockeyed" until you twisted it in then POP the pin went in and the socket was flush. While there check your wires for wear, the insulation had worn down on one of my wires why? darned if I know!

When reistalling the fender has a "pin" that fits into a hole on the right side, and then when you replace the left saddle bags same sorta thing on the left saddlebag.

So if you can lay on your back and get your hands up in there go for it. That is a real time saver.

Oh, I replaced my nuts with the aircraft antivibration nut you know the metal one that has the nylon insert.

Good luck!

John in Baltimore

PS
Oh need some pics on what to remove.... WingAdmin has a great post in " how to..." look for the one about rebuilding the rear brake caliper... I know you're not redoing the brakes... but shows step by step on each screw location... its a REAL help
John in Baltimore
A proud owner of a 2000 1500SE
:D Did I mention it was a Free Gift from a co-worker?

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:57 am

As Fiberthree said, it's a very easy job, remove the 2 acorn nuts and that reflector will pop right off.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”