Introduction from NewToWings64

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NewToWings64
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade, 2004 ST1300 PE, 2015 HD Street Glide Special

Introduction from NewToWings64

Postby NewToWings64 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:58 am

Hello all, and thanks in advance. I have always found forums to be a gr8 place to find answers, perhaps help others, and just plain gab...

I am new to the Goldwing scene. I purchased a 1996 Teal Aspencade from a local BMW dealership who had taken her in on trade. She had 52k on her when purchased three weeks ago and I have already put almost 1000 miles on her. They wanted $7000 for the bike, which they invested $500 on her to put new tires, battery, and an oil seal because of a leak somewhere (they weren't specific on where the leak was but she's OK now.)

I talked them down to $6240 out the door, including all the Calif. fees.

I also own a 2004 Honda ST1300 retired police edition and have had great luck finding a qualified, honest, local mechanic to kept her going strong. I've put 10k miles on her in 2 years. So I brought the teal wing to him and the only thing it needed was a radiator cal (old one cracked), front right side disc pads, air cleaner, and fuel filter. I had him also put new plugs, oil and filter in her.

This bike is BIG, and at first a little intimidating to ride, but now that I am getting used to her, a real pleasure to ride. I plan on going cross country from Hanford, CA to the east cost and back this coming summer.

Anyway, intros done, thanks for reading this...

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Introduction from NewToWings64

Postby joeincalif » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:52 am

Congrats on the new to you wing. Once you get used to it you will love it. The seal the dealer replaced was probably the one on the shifter, not a big deal because they do wear out.
I'm live in So Cal (Hemet area) I'm in Fresno right now visiting but will be going back home today. There is some nice riding up here.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

NewToWings64

Postby NewToWings64 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks joeincalif-

Yes I know there is gr8 riding both in the Fresno area, and in the San Jacinto area. I lived in Aguanga, CA for a few years after I was discharged from the U.S. Navy. I worked while in the Navy at the Survival School at the base in Aguanga- which is down the road from Hemet on Winchester Hwy. 79.

I want to ride there soon again and take Hwy 79 towards Julian CA and revisit those roads I rode so long ago... 8-)

Thanks for the reply

baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Postby baba67 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:48 am

Hello and welcome..
Congrats on your new purchase.
I just wanted to say that if in fact the shifter seal was replaced, You may want to install the shifter brace on your bike.
It is a money well spent.
Just my 2 cts. worth.
Enjoy the ride!

NewToWings64

Postby NewToWings64 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:05 am

Thanks baba67,

Like I said, new to Wings - so excuse my ignorance - please, What is a shifter brace? Where can I find one?

baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Postby baba67 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:47 am

Here is the article on the shifter brace on the forum.
viewtopic.php?t=19759
If you type shifter brace in the search box, it should give you the topic..
It is a little pricy, but as I said, money well spent...
Enjoy your new bike....

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi from England. Congratulations on the new machine. Check out the "how-to articles", they are a mine of information, and most are really well put together with clear and helpful photographs.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

NewToWings64

Postby NewToWings64 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:34 am

Thank you Sir - and congratulations on your country mans - Danny Willets - Masters win yesterday! That was a fantastic Masters tournament to watch.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:49 am

To my lasting shame, I had never heard of Danny Willett until your post - and he is a fellow Yorkshireman. Clearly, golf isn't my game. However, the cricket season started yesterday :P
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:04 am

Welcome... you will like your wing and this site... lots of good info and people here...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:47 pm

NewToWings64,
I've had occasion to visit some other forums, related to automotive issues, in the past. From my experience, this Goldwing forum is nothing short of stellar. You not only get responses to your questions, but usually several, in a very short period of time, and from some guys who really know their stuff. I've had, and worked on mine, for about 3.5 years now. In that time, I've learned A LOT about the workings, and maintenance of the GL1500 from these pages. So much so, combined with my personal experience, I find myself able to contribute back to some of the posters asking questions. And, that my friend, is what makes this whole thing work.
+1 on the shifter brace. I put mine on about a year or so back, and love the improved shifting. It's a great device. Be sure to get yours from the original inventor, or probably at Cyclemax. There are some knockoffs on Ebay, but as is true of all things, you get what you pay for.
+1 also on the intimidation factor. I can safely say, that after about 15K miles, I am pretty comfortable on mine. Yeah....it took a while.
I have turned into something of a GoldwingDocsAholic. Spell check didn't like that one. I read this and another forum daily, almost without fail. It can familiarize you with the bike, and some of the common issues for bikes that are between 16 to 28 years old, as well as some really peculiar problems. If you enjoy the reading, and stick with it, you will find that you have a real sense of how these bikes work, and prepares you for the inevitable day when one of those problems rears its ugly mechanical head. It allowed me to diagnose mine on the side of the road a year ago. I couldn't fix it on site for lack of an alternator, but I knew immediately what was the problem, and it expedited the repair process.
Enjoy your new ride. They are wonderful and reliable machines. Spend a few hours on a Harley, and you'll know what I mean.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:22 am

NewToWings64
Next time your in my area shoot me an e-mail and we can get together and get some good riding in. Breakfast somewhere then, up to Santa Ysabel, and Borrego.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

ecarmichael
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby ecarmichael » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:23 am

Hello from NW Louisiana,

This is indeed a fantastic forum for Goldwing "tinkerers". Wing Admin's step by step How to articles are stellar, and as mentioned earlier, the rest of the gang jumps right in to help work thru your troubleshooting issues.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:49 pm

NewToWings64,

Welcome to the forum! As already noted there are a lot of really great tech folks here who will share their info on maintenance and repair items.

Congratulations on your new ride! Once you adjust to the Wing you will be ready to head to the East Coast and back home. I would urge you to plan the trip carefully as there is a lot to see between CA and here and some really great roads to ride. I would encourage you to avoid interstates as much as possible and tour the real America. It and the people are extraordinary. Just remember when you leave CA, lane splitting or filtering is not legal anywhere else so be careful.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

NewToWings64

Postby NewToWings64 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:23 am

joeincalif - Thanks for the invite - will do Sir

:P

NewToWings64

Postby NewToWings64 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:28 am

Harvey01 - Thank you - and thanks for the roads tip on trying to avoid the Interstate - tentatively that's been the plan so far - along with trying to stay at scenic campgrounds as much as possible along the way. :D

NewToWings64

Postby NewToWings64 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:41 am

Bluewaterhooker0 - thank you for all the encouragement and advice - I have already scratched the surface of some fine articles and posts her and they are indeed very worthwhile reading.

In my particular immediate needs - I brought my '96 Aspy to a trusted local mechanic who complimented on the bikes appearance and advised me that the bike was well cared for by the previous owner(s)?

He did a few small thinks - lube, oil, filter, tuneup, air cleaner, radiator flush, new cap for same, and new front brakes.

He did mention the timing belt, but relayed that was up to me as the bike is under 53k miles, apparently was always garaged by the looks. He said Honda recommended 100k miles replacement. So with my trip coming soon this summer - and wanting to save the tread on those new tires - I only take the Goldie out infrequently and shorter rides - 60 miles or less.

Taking my Harley Street Glide Special up to Wahington in May though and looking forward to that...

Thanks Again. :D

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:49 am

NewToWings64,
You're welcome. A couple of things you may want to consider on the maintenance end would be flushing the front brake fluid, rear/front linked brake fluid, and clutch fluid. It's easy to do, and will help keep that pristine bike in good shape. I got a '97 in similar condition in 2012. I followed advice offered on these pages regarding such maintenance. Changing the rear final drive oil wouldn't hurt either. These are all really easy maintenance items that are difficult to tell when they were last done, and at 20 years old, they can use all the love you can spare. One other item, not as easy to do, but definitely worth the effort is changing those timing belts. Honda does suggest the 100K mile change as you said. But, age is another consideration. I got mine at 38K miles, and just recently changed the belts at 53K miles. They are rubber based, and age can take a toll on rubber parts. The problem with timing belts is they don't visibly show their age until the day they break. They are similar to, but not the same as standard fan or serpentine belts, in that they don't stretch at all. I think the Gates company recommends changing timing belts at 6 or 8 years of age, regardless of miles, as is the common wisdom suggested on this forum. You have, potentially, 20 year old belts on that bike, unless you know for a fact they were changed sometime in the recent past. The problem is that if one of them breaks, you almost certainly have a destroyed engine, because of the interference design of the valves and pistons. You should have no problem confirming the suggestion on the belts with a search on this forum. I think you'll find tutorials of all of these items as well.
Two other items peculiar to this bike are the cruise & sub air filters. They are little foam rubber filters that certainly deteriorate with age. They will usually crumble in your fingers when you go to change them, and you don't want that material to get sucked into the cruise control or the bike. They will have to be ordered, probably online, as the local dealerships around my area didn't stock them. I assume your guy checked the rear brake pads when he re-did the fronts. I was told that the brakes had been done on my bike before I bought it. The owners manual had even been written to indicate such. When I went to replace the rear tire, I found otherwise, as they were metal on metal. Best to check many of these things yourself. Good luck, and have fun.

NewToWings64

Postby NewToWings64 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks again Bluewaterhooker0 -

Will definitely look into all of these items before taking her cross country - thanks again sir, this is a gr8 forum place and folks like yourself help make it that way! :D :D :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”