Front Turn signal flasher from Show Chrome

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Front Turn signal flasher from Show Chrome

Postby GillesGLW » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Hello everyone,

Hope you're all doing well.

I recently bought a pair of front turn signal flashers from Show Chrome and despite the installation guide, I am facing some problems. The fairing lights do not flash at all.

While looking at the flasher kit, I got lost with the wiring scheme:

While it's clear how to connect the 3 pin connectors, I'm stuck with the connector which is at the end of the orange wire. Where should I connect it?
It must go somewhere, otherwise I don't see how the light can work with only one wire connected to it...

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Gilles

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Front Turn signal flasher from Show Chrome

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:26 pm

It plugs into the connector that was attached to the fairing light.
I installed these sets on both front and rear.
I did have an issue with one of the connectors for the rear being wired backwards.
Once changing that, they all work great.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:31 pm

By the looks of the wiring that should make your side marker lights flash alternately with the turn signals.
Side note...
They will flash with the signals when you use your emergency flashers and the key is in the "Park or ACC" position but alternate when the ignition is in the Run position.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:23 am

I'm not sure that I got the point...

On the pic, the fairing light is already connected to the "green" wire. So I'm not clear where to connect the plug with the orange wire.

Thanks,
Gilles

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:54 am

GillesGLW wrote:I'm not sure that I got the point...

On the pic, the fairing light is already connected to the "green" wire. So I'm not clear where to connect the plug with the orange wire.

Thanks,
Gilles

Plugs into the corresponding side turn signal connection. IE; - left side side fairing marker plugs into left turn signal connection

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:04 pm

GillesGLW wrote:
20160413_153751.jpg

While it's clear how to connect the 3 pin connectors, I'm stuck with the connector which is at the end of the orange wire. Where should I connect it?
It must go somewhere, otherwise I don't see how the light can work with only one wire connected to it...

Just as Dusty said... The white connector with the single brown (orange?) wire connects to the plug that the green connector formerly occupied. What the Show Chrome harness does is change where the side marker light gets the ground connection. The single wire plug is getting 12volts from the running light circuit on your Wing. The green wire that goes to the four prong socket gets the ground connection from the turn signal/running light bulb. Technically it is getting the ground through the turn signal bulb filament. Which is why it flashes alternately with your turn signal.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:40 am

I found a solution to this problem!

Here in Switzerland, the turn signal is not switched on when driving like in the US. So out of the 3 wires for the turn signal, we only have 2 being used here, only when I switch on the turn signal.
As a result, the fairing light is switched of and will only blink with the turn signal.

I didn't look further to have it switched on all time and make it blink with the turn signal as it would require some extra wiring.
So I simply have an extra turn signal on the fairing, which will help to be a bit more visible when turning, specially by night.
For the overall visibility, I have the saddlebag lights that will make me visible (in case someone would not see me, which sounds difficult considering the size of the Goldwing!)

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”