audio plug

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1993 ASPENCADE

audio plug

Postby BOSNBOB » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Okay guys I have a question about the two audio plug that are on the 1500. One is for the passenger headset and one for the driver headset. I can not for the life of me how they fit into that holder they are suppose to fit in. It barely goes in no matter which way I install it. Can some give me a hint.

1993 Aspencade

Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: audio plug

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:09 pm

Mine have the opposite problem. They fit in so loosely, that they barely stay in place.

Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:09 pm

While sitting on your bike with the headset plugged in to the 5 pin connector the natural way the plug hangs is the way it fastens into the holder. Just press it in with the end of the connector about 1/8 inch in from the end of the holder. If your bike has been subjected to an extreme amount of sun and weather the holder could be ruined to the point that the connector will not stay in place. That was the case with mine and I had to replace them. I found new ones on ebay pretty cheap and removed the old ones and cleaned off the adhesive to replace. Wait till the bike is warmed well from the sun, clean the surface with alcohol and peel and stick the new ones.

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:52 am

There are also different kinds of cord clips to consider.
Cyclemax has rubber ones and chrome plastic ones available.
The rubber are going to be more flexible and easier to have the cord go in and out of.
The plastic, being more rigid will be harder to get the cord in, but will keep it better secure.
One thing to note and check on your bike, one end of the clip is wider than the other. That end should be at the end of the connector.
It's possible that the PO had installed them backwards.

I also think that both have the option to add an additional small bolt to help hold securely. I've always done this to keep it from popping off from repeated connector insert and removal when the tape gets old.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:41 am

I had to replace the fairing holder as it did get "weak" and would not grip the plug. I chose the factory stock. As Charlie1Horse stated, if you are replacing one, clean off the old adhesive thoroughly before applying the new one.

Fairing Holder
Fairing Holder

Cubbie Holder
Cubbie Holder

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”