Pegs or boards...which hits first?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Pegs or boards...which hits first?

Postby millerized » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:29 pm

Not sure the brand of floorboards on the bike now, but they hit long before I feel they should. I'm coming from an 05 Kawasaki Concours, which is a good interim between a sport bike and a full on touring ride. Either this wing's boards hit way before pegs will, or I'm carrying a bit too much speed into corners ;) ...nearly ALL corners. Scraped the right engine guard once, but knew that was a bit further over than necessary. Definitely on the think twice list now. Even with the stock Dunlops it's not squirrely at that angle, just things scrape before I reach the pucker zone.

So...pegs or boards make contact first?

(and, yes, I still have the concours...it's just difficult taking the sport ride out of the sport rider.)

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: Pegs or boards...which hits first?

Postby golden highway » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm

Boards long before pegs. Just one of a few reasons I don't like boards but that is just me. I know people that won't ride without them.

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:30 pm

golden highway wrote:Boards long before pegs. Just one of a few reasons I don't like boards but that is just me. I know people that won't ride without them.

LOL...I was hoping it wasn't just me. I can't stand the boards,... at all. Might get used to them, but after 6mo I still can't stand them.
Won't be much left when I finally switch them out. But at least I'll have an indication, between when the boards hit and when the engine guard hits, that I'm 'in' the groove.
Boards will be my green light: keep pushing and the engine guards my red light: danger indicators.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:43 pm

I gave boards on a wing a year before switching back to pegs. I didn't even feel they offered more legs room. As a matter of fact I felt they were more restricting. I felt I had much better control without them.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:09 pm

I didn't like the boards on my 92 Interstate from the very first ride when I bought it two years ago. It only took a very slight dip in the pavement as turning a corner to make them hit the pavement. I gave them about six months before changing back to pegs. The first thing was that the boards put my feet behind my knees and was a little uncomfortable. I admit they were nice on long highway rides but, I was unhappy with having to pick my foot up to get at the brake and shifter which transferred my weight to the handlebars and took entirely too long to get on the brake for the anticipated panic stop. I am much happier with the pegs but now I have a complete set of boards for sale, including highway boards. I took them off too because it placed my feet too far apart and gave me cramps in the hips. OUCH! I haven't hit the pegs yet.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:47 pm

Took the boards off my '85 LTD because of shifting and having to move the feet a lot to brake and shift. Enjoy the pegs much better, shifting is more exact - able to pre-load the shifter and clutch for up-shifting (much smoother and less clunking).

Went on course with the old girl this past weekend and was dragging the foot pegs on the small track that was setup. My toe dragged first, surprised me so I put the balls of my feet on the pegs. A few corners and laps later, my pegs dragged. Unnerving at first, but quickly got used to it. Made me realize I was not going to wash out and had a few more degrees to go. Mentioned this to one of the instructors, and he commented that it is better to drag the pegs on course, get past the surprise factor and get used to it on a course than to be surprised on the road for the first time and maybe do something that doesn't end well. There were other cruisers with floorboards and the scraping from these was constant with not a lot of lean.

Getting back to topic, boards first, then pegs.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”