Finally the wing is back!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Finally the wing is back!

Postby GillesGLW » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:45 am

Hello everyone,

After a long winter (and believe me, winters can be long here in Switzerland!), the Wing is finally back on the road!
I made my first test drive this morning and the bike seems ok, except a few minor things.

During the last winter, I took the time to rebuild both carbs and brakes, and I have change almost all the wiring for the lights, which was in a bad condition due to the "experiments" of the previous owner.

So today the front brake, with braided lines and new brake pads is working very well. Unfortunately the rear brake is a bit soft and I have to press hard to have the brake working. So the braided lines didn't fix my problem. I've ordered a kit to rebuild the master cylinder and I hope this will fix my problem. I will keep you posted.

On the carb side, after a sync and some fine tuning on the air mix, I have a small idle at 2000 rpm. When I bought the bike, I initially fixed this problem with a trigger wheel (my Goldwing is a 1989 version, with the "old" trigger wheel).
I believe I will need to re-do the adjustment of the air mix to fix this problem, and also check the carb sync.

If anyone had the same issue, I'm happy to read what he/she did to fix the problem.

Thanks!
Gilles

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Re: Finally the wing is back!

Postby kane67 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:07 am

Hi there!

You mean 2k rpm is lowest you have?
If yes, check throttle cable(s) adjustment. Don't ask how I know :lol:

-kane-

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:42 am

My apologies... I mixed up some words here... that's what happens when english is not your mother tongue!

In fact I wanted to say that my Goldwing has an hesitation around 2000 rpm. The idle is fine at 800 rpm :D

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:59 am

GillesGLW wrote:My apologies... I mixed up some words here... that's what happens when english is not your mother tongue!

No worries, you're doing a wonderful job with your English :D :D
When you set you mixtures, try using ct1500's method here http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/426066-1500-fuel-mixture-diagnosis-test.html instead of the by the book procedure. The way the factory manual says to do it results in the mixture being slightly lean which will accentuate a hesitation/stumble.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info!

On my side I've been using the colortune (http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=0&item=1854) since I have my Goldwing. It's quite a nice product as it allows you to see the color of the combustion flame through the spark plug. Yellow means rich and blue means lean.

I will check tomorrow the color of the flame around 2000 rpm, but I assume it's a bit to "light blue" which can explain the hesitation. I will also re-check the carb synch.

I really recommend this Carbtune tool for anyone who wants to check his/her mixture. The good thing is that you can check it on one cylinder on each side, no need to check each cylinder.

I do have a question: I found this tube, all alone on the right side of the bike. It goes behind what I think is a vaccum tank, on the right side of the pic.

Would you know if it has to be connected to something or is it a kind of drain tube? I can check and see where it's connected to and then check in the Clymer, but if I can save a few minutes, I would be very happy :D

Thanks

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:05 pm

I couldn't find any reason for the hesitation around 2000 rpm.
So I've replaced my spark plugs for new Iridium ones from NGK. And guess what? The hesitation is now gone and the bike starts much better than before.

One problem less... :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”