Brake Light Modulator Install

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
revtmuller1
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE

Brake Light Modulator Install

Postby revtmuller1 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi all, I'm in the process of hooking up the Big Bike Parts brake light modulator. I am not too comfortable with electric or electronic stuff but I manage to get by most of the time. Anyway, I understand the instructions about hooking the white wire to the brake light and the black wire to the ground but where does the red wire hook on to? The instructions say to connect it going to the front of the bike. What does that mean? I'm trying to hook it to my spoiler brake/running light on my '99 SE. I have read the thread regarding hooking it up but can't see where the "red" wire attaches there either. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Brake Light Modulator Install

Postby Big Blue UK » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:27 am

I will try to explain without pictures.

ok it took me ages to draw this

The brake light signal goes from a brake light switch (front of the bike) to the spoiler, when you add a modulator, the signal has to pass through the modulator

You have already identified the brake light wire to the spoiler. You have to cut this wire, then you have one end of the wire you have cut is from the brake light switch (front of the bike) the other end goes to the spoiler brake light
If you do not know which end is which, when you operate the brakes, one end of the wire you cut coming from the front of the bike bike will have 12v, the other end will have 0v because you cut the wire, so this end goes to the spoiler light.
Connect the red wire to the end of the wire you cut that reads 12v, and the white wire to the other end that reads 0v.

If you do not have a test meter, just connect the red and white wires to each end of the wire you cut, if the modulator does not work, the red and white wires are the wrong way round, swap them over.

Do not connect the wire you cut back together.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

revtmuller1
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE

Re: Brake Light Modulator Install

Postby revtmuller1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks,Big Blue UK. I appreciate the info. I'll give that a try as soon as I get at it again.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”