Howdy and Help

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
joskei
Motorcycle: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja
1989 Honda GL1500 SE
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (Needs a new home (and work))

Howdy and Help

Postby joskei » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Hello all! Nice community you have here!

I just purchased a 89 GL1500 SE and it has a few ...issues. I'll break the issues apart below and would appreciate any links/advice you can provide! Also, is it worth the $70 for the Helm manual or is there something better than the Haynes one?

1. Cruise control won't engage. (Usually turns on the indicator though).
    2. CB Won't turn on
    3. Radio won't turn on
    4. Can not adjust rear air suspension
    5. Speedometer only lights sometimes (but odometer is always lit)
    6. LCD panel backlights, but provides no information (no clock, obviously no radio)
    7. When in 1st gear and attempting to take off, I seem to go from ~800RPM to about 2k in a heartbeat (launch!)
    8. Front brake very soft

Backstory
Purchased from family and it's been sitting all winter but supposedly everything worked as it should before they put it into storage. I know that already this spring they have had to repair the rear brake and replace the diaphragm for the petcock, although I question the quality of the garage.

I'm coming from sport bikes (my ninja looks tiny next to the wing :)), so I'm way out of my element here with what the expectations should be. Is it possible that all of the electrical issues are related to either a single fuse or a loose wire? I do know that also have a 6 CD changer added, which does power on but obviously does not output sound.

Current Steps
I'm working from a Haynes manual which I find VERY lacking (not even a mention of cruise control). I currently have the left/right panels and seat off and as soon as I find my elusive voltmeter, I'm going to test the fuses and relays. I found this link on youtube regarding cruise control:

, which seems to be an old service video of some sort. I'm going to try those steps out and see if I can at least resolve my cruise issue. I have also put new fuel in and currently running seafoam through to hopefully clean some of that stuff out.

If you've made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read everything!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Howdy and Help

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:12 pm

old post

GL1500 cruise control problem

irst thing to check are the switches at the levers on the handlebars... Especially if the PO replaced the stock levers with after market ones... You should hear the clicks (2) of the micro switches as you pull in the levers...

When trying to set the cruise, try pushing forward on both the right front and left front lever and see if the cruise will set... If it does, you may have worn bushings on the levers or the after market levers are giving you issues... Some guys add a little shim at the end of the lever to actuate the switch when this happens...

It could also be a dirty or sticky "set" switch... You could also try spraying some contact cleaner into the "set" switch and see if that helps...

The cruise switch is quite easy to get at. You could first try just spraying contact cleaner down the sides of the switch while it's in place and work the switch in and out loads. If that fails then separate the 2 halves of the handlebar switch block (just 2 phillips screws from underneath) which will give you access to the cruise switch slider which can get gummed up.

2. CB Won't turn on fuse..
3. Radio won't turn on fuse??
4. Can not adjust rear air suspension are you following the how to in the owners guide?

5. Speedometer only lights sometimes (but odometer is always lit) loose wiring, bad ground?

6. LCD panel backlights, but provides no information (no clock, obviously no radio) if radio fuse is out and clock nothing to show..

I had the same problem on my 94 SE. I found that the micro-switch on the clutch was bad. It was easy to verify, pull the wires off the switch, and go for a ride. If your cruise control starts working, you need a new switch.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

joskei
1989 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby joskei » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply! As soon as it stops raining, I'll get out there and tear everything apart again. I did manage to check and test all fuses, which all work. The only thing I noticed is that the PO put a 15A where a 5A should have been (backup lights). I removed that and put a 5A back in, but nothing changed and the 5A didn't pop (and I just got back from a 150 mile ride).

EDIT
In regards to following the owner's guide, I'm probably not as I didn't get one. I assumed increasing/decreasing would make a sound, or at least I would notice a ride difference of some sort (which I do not).

I was really hoping that all of these issues were cause by one root cause issue instead of each being their own problem. The more I look into things, the more it's looking like that's not going to be the case.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Sounds to me like you might have an issue with one of the relays (behind the leading edge of the left saddlebag). A bad relay can cause all sorts of mayhem, and the blank LCD is what makes me think this might be the source of some of your problems. Mine displayed much of the same symptoms. When I accessed my relay panel (awkward to do...you need to unbolt the left saddlebag & move the front end out from the bike a little), and tapped on the ends of my relays, everything came back to life & acted normally. I'm not at home at the moment, but I believe it was relay #3 (the top right one in the panel).

The nice thing about this check is...it's free! Of course, rapping on it may not get it to function temporarily, but don't worry - there's another way. As all the relays are the same, you can swap another one into #3's spot, and see if everything comes back.

If that DOES fix all, or at least some of your problems, I'd suggest contacting WingAdmin (here on the forum - he's the "guru" for this stuff). He sells the exact relays required, for far less than anyone else, and they're the genuine article. I bought 3, so I'd always have a couple of spares!!

joskei
1989 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby joskei » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Thank you very much for the advice! As soon as it finally stops pouring here, I'll tear that apart and have a look and post my results.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”