Right turn signal lights on continously

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
estavtn
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Right turn signal lights on continously

Postby estavtn » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Hello, this winter on my 2000 GL1500SE with self canceling turn signals, I cleaned all the switches and replaced lights with LEDs in my handlebar switches. Also replaced lights in instrument cluster with LEDs as per Admin's guidance - thanks very much! All worked great in the shop and on short trip around home. Soon after first time on road, right turn signal indicator on panel started coming on and then stayed on continuously. Left turn signal works fine. I thought probably had burned out bulb. All bulbs work fine. In shop now, double checked all turn signal bulbs and connectors and all worked fine again, could not get to fail. Started up to put in garage and right signal comes on again continuously. Took apart left handlebar switches to look for issue, all looks good and with pieces apart but hooked up to work, still on continuously (left still works properly). Wiring diagram in book shows one relay works both left and right, so can't be that. Turn signal cancel control unit also works both sides the same, so can't be that. Front, back and indicator lights each have their own ground, so unlikely making a new ground somewhere since all three come on. If I move the turn signal switch to the right, I can hear the signal relay move to the on position, but never moves back to off position unless I cancel it, so I am reasonably sure the switch and wiring there is correct. If a fuse was bad, it would not have worked again when I had it in the shop after the first failure. Any ideas? I am kind of befuddled and this is my first Goldwing. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Right turn signal lights on continously

Postby ct1500 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:40 am

If everything worked correctly before the conversion to LED than that is where I would start by going back to the OEM type bulbs.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

estavtn

Postby estavtn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:57 am

Everything worked properly AFTER the LED change in the shop and on my first short rides, and then again in the shop, so I seriously doubt it is the LEDs, especially given it is only on the right side, the left is also LED indicator bulb, but does not have this problem.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:12 pm

I've had that problem before and even tho it was hard to find, turned out to be a bad ground. Somewhere, something is back feeding to your turn signal circuit. You may have to disconnect the light from the harness, if that shows no improvement, I have seen trouble from the trailer connection, if you have one. You might have to replace the trailer connection, as they get corroded and will mess with the rest of the lights. Good luck, Ride safe, stop by again if this didn't help!
Proud member Patriot Guard

estavtn

Postby estavtn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks Busted for the ideas. I am trying to isolate items that are specific to only the right turn signals, and the only thing I can find is the switch in the handle bar. If I take the switch apart that makes the connections in the handle bar housing, nothing works, naturally. If I apply 12 volts to the terminal that runs the right turn lights, they light up, as they should. I guess I am going to remove the rear trunk and keep wiggling things as I go. I just hope it keeps failed so I can find it. I troubleshoot every day in my work as an airplane mechanic, so I enjoy knowing how things work, but this has me stumped for now. Seems like if it was a ground, the other side would not work as everything I find is common to both sides. Thanks for any more ideas of things to check.

estavtn

Postby estavtn » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:32 pm

Well ,for those interested, I found the problem. All my troubleshooting and studying the wiring diagram sure pointed to the right turn signal circuit being back fed through some other circuit. After pulling off all three trunks and looking for wires that are shorted together, and pulling the front apart to check the instrument cluster (it still had the right turn signal on all the time with the cluster removed), I disconnected the large multi-pin connector that is above the rear tire, and now had the running lights but no right turn signal on. That told me most likely the problem was aft of that connector. Sure enough, I found the cable that goes to the trailer connector had been rubbing on the tire and shorted two wires together, feeding the right turn signal circuit, that explained the initial intermittent shorting to begin with. I could have saved a lot of time by just looking more thoroughly over the bike, but I leaned more about taking the bike apart and putting it together. Thanks to those that made suggestions.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun May 01, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm glad my ideas helped and in the meantime you learned about your bike. In the meantime , ride safe, and stop in often.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”