Crossover pipes

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
willemrita
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 Asp

Crossover pipes

Postby willemrita » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:51 am

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I do not find my former post or attempt to post.
Thanks for understanding.

Howdy guys.
Please help as I am loosing it.
My GL1500 Asp lost its collector box due to rust.
It is not possible to order a new one or even the after market cross straight pipes as discuss on this forum cause of the exchange rate and shipping.
I tried to bend the crossover pipes myself, to no avail. The space between the header pipe and the crossover pipes from the opposite exhaust leaves no room for a proper bend and the two pipes run at the same height which means it cannot crossover. So the two crossover pipes should be bend off set to allow the two to pass one on top of the other. I gave up as the space just do not seems to be enough.
Now I read on the forum of straight pipes. SO I decided I will not do the crossover pipe thing but a direct connection between the header pipes and the mufflers. Again to know avail as the bends I have to make is to short to fit the muffler on its exact position.
Are their anybody out there that can direct me somewhere where I can get more info how to go along making the necessary connector pipes.
Please. I have no other option as I live in the beautiful Namibia on the South Western part of AFRICA.
This forum has never let me down in the past and I am sure it will keep up assisting me.
Thanks
Desperate Willem

GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Re: Crossover pipes

Postby GillesGLW » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:48 am

Hello Willem,

It might be an option to check the x-factor from TorqMaster (http://www.torqmasterpipes.com/).

From what I can see, it might perfectly do the job, replacing the collector.

Cheers,
Gilles

willemrita
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 Asp

Postby willemrita » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:34 am

Gilles
I had a look at the pipes they manufacture. U must multiply their price with 15 to see how much it will cost in our currency and then ad a min of U$65 for shipping. Not affordable to us. That is why I am looking for measurements to build my own. I ordered and stick a TowPac kit on my Goldwing only later to see manufacturing details sold on CD.
We tried to bend those crossover pipes but it keep "pulling" the mufflers towards the bike which means that the mufflers do not fit properly to the bike. We could not manage the different bends that has to be made.
Thank you for your response. I really do appreciate any suggestions I might receive.

Willem

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby Dennis613l » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:11 am

If you google or bing gl1500 exhaust, under the pictures tabs there are a number of alternative cross over designs that are sold / fabricated.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gl ... ORM=IQFRBA

Alternatively, the Valkyrie is also shown there as a straight exhaust with no cross over, perhaps this would be a simpler alternative?
Perhaps others could pipe in if the crossover was eliminated?

GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Postby GillesGLW » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:21 pm

I'm just thinking loud here, but did you check on eBay? Maybe you can find a second hand collector box.

Or maybe try to solder it? Unless it's really too rusty for that

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”