Headlight goes out but comes back on after cool

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NetTech94
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE

Headlight goes out but comes back on after cool

Postby NetTech94 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:01 pm

Headlight intermittant - sometimes it will work for 1 or 2 days then it will go off for 3 to 4 hours till cool. Logic tells me a relay is resetting.

During recent service Motorcycle Repair Shop (Goldwing). was troubleshooting issue. The next step is to remove side bag to gain access to back side of relay box. Relay has been replaced, connections checked. What was discovered if the tech where to tap slightly on the relay the light would come back on.

Light will stay on for a couple of days then poof nothing. Today, rode to work with no issue. Checked light prior to departing home, then about 1 mile into city driving noted no reflection at stop light on trunk of car in front of me. Clicked hi-bean NADA.... All the way home nothing. Took off side panels, tapped on what I could and nothing. Waited for about 3 hours and the light is functional again

Damm gremlins....

On a side note..for those of you who helped out with my alternator issue. I got a new one from Ken Hemlin and its working great so far. I went with a brand new one and not a rebuild. Its rock steady 13.9 or so.

dlfierce
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Re: Headlight goes out but comes back on after cool

Postby dlfierce » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:13 pm

In regards to your headlight issue, being that it seems to be intermittent, I would check to see that your start button is not stuck slightly in. If it is not coming out all the way sometimes the headlights will not work. If your headlight is not on, wiggle the start button a bit and see if that makes a difference. I would be spraying it with an electrical cleaning spray and work it a few times.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:16 am

+1 On the start button being the problem.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:17 am

Assuming you have replaced the relay. If tapping on the relay causes the lights to come back on the solder connections to the relay socket could be defective. Not uncommon on the 1500.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

NetTech94

Postby NetTech94 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:54 am

What needs to be done to resolder the connections? Guess its back to the Honda shop then.

Last night. bike started head light was on for about 1 mile or so then went out. Got all the way home and nothing still did my tapping thing still nothing. About 3 hours later went out to garage and turn the key, the light was back on. This morning started up just fine with head light on. Drove again for about 1 mile then noted light was out again and stayed out all the way to work (24m). If the relay is resetting sounds like a flaky relay but I think the dealer replaced that one last time. I will advise the dealer about the solder issue. Wonder if it would be better to just replace the whole relay box if its a plug and play thing

NetTech94

Postby NetTech94 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Let me add some facts to this issue;

Prior to this issue, my alternator was over charging. As high as 16.8 volts (if revved). Just getting it to the shop to have alternator changed out it was staying around 14.8 to 15.1. This has been corrected and now we are in the normal range of 13.7 to 14.1 with a new alternator

I'm kind of concerned that the source of my issue is a result of the over charging. I'm wondering if I fried my wiring or melted the solder connection on the back of the relay panel.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Not likely. Let us know if the problem persists.

Just remembered the 1500 uses separate hi/low beam relays. Have to rethink this.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:19 pm

If I read right you said when low went out you tried high and it did not work. I would think fuse #5 was going bad. This could also have some relation to light coming on when tapping on the relays, just close enough to it worked one time. The switches control the relay side of circuit but the common point is the power from panel to relay to headlamps.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Thought these wiring diagrams might help. This is for the '94 SE. Since you have no low beam or high beam during the issue, I would look for items common to both. That could be the headlights ground connection, although it appears the position lights use the same ground. So, if position lights are working, that would limit that possibility. Power from fuse number 12, all the way through the dimmer switch and to the low and high relays are common. Headlight fuse #5 up to the relays, and the common ground for both headlight relays. It just seems that something common to high and low beams will be the issue.
Attachments

NetTech94

Postby NetTech94 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:55 pm

90% sure that I found the source of my headlight issue. Even after testing the fuses with a test light, the end result turned out to be bad fuse. I pulled the fuse for the headlight visually it look just fine. I opted for a new one and low and behold I had a headlight. I say 90% because I have been riding for past 3.5 days back and forth to work with no issue.

I'm going to stop by the Motorcycle repair shop and let them know what I found. Hopefully this is the issue. The next option was to pull the fuse and relay assembly box and inspect the back side of it for solder joints.

Anyway thought I'd update my status...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:35 am

NetTech94 wrote:90% sure that I found the source of my headlight issue. Even after testing the fuses with a test light, the end result turned out to be bad fuse. I pulled the fuse for the headlight visually it look just fine. I opted for a new one and low and behold I had a headlight. I say 90% because I have been riding for past 3.5 days back and forth to work with no issue.

I'm going to stop by the Motorcycle repair shop and let them know what I found. Hopefully this is the issue. The next option was to pull the fuse and relay assembly box and inspect the back side of it for solder joints.

Anyway thought I'd update my status...

I thought I had answered this, but that was going to be my suggestions. Often fuses will develop a crack, and when they warm up and expand, the crack opens up enough that the fuse opens. When it cools, it contracts, the crack closes up again, and the fuse works once more.

Whenever I have an electrical problem, the first thing I always do is check the fuse - both sides of it - while it is installed and on, to make sure there is 12 volts on both sides of the fuse. You can do this because the metal legs are exposed at the top of the fuse, so you can press a multimeter probe into the top and test the fuse while it is installed.

Blade Fuse
Blade Fuse

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:01 pm

My policy is to change the fuse first, ride a while and if problem persist then look farther. Keep spare relays for same reason.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”