cruise control not working, but set and cruise lights do.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tackwest
Motorcycle: 1989 gl 1500

cruise control not working, but set and cruise lights do.

Postby tackwest » Sun May 01, 2016 5:25 pm

All,
I have a 1989 gl1500 with 19,000 on the clock. the cruise control doesn't work, but the 'cruise" and "set" lights work. I've tested the switches with a voltmeter and by setting the cruise at speed, then, one by one, i pull in the clutch, which cancels the set. Then do the same with front brake, rear brake and throttle. Each one will cancel the 'set" light. So I will assume the switches are good? next, removed the vacuum box and tested the hold, release and decrease circuit, all were good. I used slight vacuum on the acentuator (SP) and the throttle climbs. I did bypass the BAS a while back, is there anyway this could effect it? I've never had the CC working, but previous owner, who is a good friend , said it worked the year before and suddenly it won't work. I did the electrical tests last year and I'm fairly certain they were fine. Thanks for your help.

tackwest
Motorcycle: 1989 gl 1500

Re: cruise control not working, but set and cruise lights do.

Postby tackwest » Tue May 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Got it! Removed the vacuum box and activated the circuits, then gently blew through the release circuit. went for a good ride today and Cruise worked!

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: cruise control not working, but set and cruise lights do.

Postby bustedwing » Thu May 05, 2016 5:10 pm

I have had it happen that I take off the center panel for whatever reason, but if you happen to twist it the wrong way when you put it back on the cruze will not work. So then you have to go back, take it back off, try to twist it back the other way, then put everything back together. And you don't know if you have it fixed until you try the cruze!!
Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”