Amp limts and max wire gauge for connectors.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Amp limts and max wire gauge for connectors.

Postby Greenwinger » Thu May 05, 2016 3:15 pm

I have done a lot of electrical mods on my 1500 and when ever possible I use the same Hitachi connectors as is standard on the bike,
you know the 2,3,4,6,9 pin ones.
I was wondering if anyone knows the Amp and wire gauge limit of these rather small connector pins.
Now I max them out at 18 gauge, and 5 amps, was wondering if I could go higher amps and of course lower gauge safely?

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Amp limts and max wire gauge for connectors.

Postby Fiberthree » Sat May 07, 2016 11:15 am

Check this link. There is a sizeable chart that has way more info than what you are asking and a handy calculator below that.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Looks like your 18awg can handle up to 16 amps and 20 will get you 11.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:18 pm

Fiberthree wrote:Check this link. There is a sizeable chart that has way more info than what you are asking and a handy calculator below that.

That's some good info. The ratings in the chart are a bit higher than we use in my business, air conditioning. For instance 14ga is rated at 15A, 12ga at 20A, 10ga at 30A. But, the length of the wire is always critical to the ga/A rating, as voltage drops from resistance are taken into account. I suspect for very short runs, as are common on these bikes, those ratings may be in the ballpark. But, his original question regards the capacity of the actual connectors.
The connectors (I have some in front of me), appear to be physically capable of accepting a 14ga stranded wire. Maybe one gauge up, but to be safe, I'd say 14ga. As such, I would also recommend soldering those crimped connections, as crimp connections alone, are notoriously weak, electrically. We use many such spade connectors in the AC business, and I am amazed at the amperage capacity the equipment manufacturers will use them for. Specifically, compressor connections. The ones we use are slightly larger, but not by much. Those connections are subjected to 80-90 amps at startup, and a run load of 20-25 amps with no ill effects. So, I would suspect that the connectors themselves could handle the +/- 30A rating that is listed in the reference chart, assuming the connections are pristine, and solidly connected. I can't really imagine you pulling 30A through any accessory wiring to lights and such, so the plug connections with a 14ga wire should be more than capable of handling your usage. As always, be sure to fuse any wiring as close to the power source as possible. And if you are only drawing, say 10A through the wires, I would fuse the circuits for maybe 15A. Don't fuse it for the wire gauge (30A), as might be typical in a house circuit, if it's not needed. That way you are circuiting with a safety margin built in.
This has been my experience, and I hope it helps you out.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun May 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Fiberthree wrote:Check this link. There is a sizeable chart that has way more info than what you are asking and a handy calculator below that.

... But, his original question regards the capacity of the actual connectors.
The connectors (I have some in front of me), appear to be physically capable of accepting a 14ga stranded wire. Maybe one gauge up, but to be safe, I'd say 14ga...

I agree. I couldn't find any info on the connector pins, which appear to be brass. One would hope the engineers calculated the conductivity of the connector pins being on par with the wire. Not that brass can't handle the amperage but more the surface area contact for the current flow. Also two thumbs up on soldering the connectors. I shy away from soldering a crimped connector to reinforce it and will just cut it off and solder on a new connector on wiring I'm installing.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Postby Greenwinger » Sun May 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Thank you gentlemen. Yet another reason this is the best Goldwing tech site on the planet. I have always done a touch of solder on the connectors as I was never very impressed with the way the crimps held on these connectors, even using the proper Hitachi crimping tool.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”