GL 1500 and Bridgestone Exedra tyre pressures

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
sprintexec
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE Aspencade

GL 1500 and Bridgestone Exedra tyre pressures

Postby sprintexec » Fri May 13, 2016 2:17 am

I'm looking for advice on a sensible tyre pressure to use since I just got two new Bridgestone Exedra tyres fitted to my '94 GL1500 Aspencade. I'm pleased to learn that Bridgestone are the OE on GL1800's but I had previously not heard of them being a fitment for the 15. By way of explanation, I live on the island of Cyprus in the Eastern Mediterranean, there are a few miles of dual lane highway but much of the road network is single lane and is in fair to poor repair. The farmers typically cut slots across the roads to lay their irrigation water pipes and this causes fun even in a car! The climate is hot and dry for most of the year. Typically I'd be riding solo. I look forward to your feedback, especially from thise who have a good few Bridgestone shod GL1500 miles under their belts. Thanks in advance, Andy

MasterDaniel904
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Re: GL 1500 and Bridgestone Exedra tyre pressures

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:05 am

Generally I run 42lbs on the rear tire and 40 on the front. I generally get 9 to 10k miles on the rear tire, and closer to 15k on the front. I'm not an extreme rider, but I am a daily rider. Notice that I am in the high desert out here and road temperatures are very high in general in the summer! I'll put 100 miles a week just running around town, and then put 2 to 400 on the weekend with a run into a city. I do tow a trailer during the week as well with all of my work tools but I imagine it's only about 300 lbs total (I can lift it up to re-position it if I need!). I hope this helps. Oh, one note. I ride MOSTLY paved surfaces. There are a few sand/gravel roads on my weekly route and the harder tires tend to slide a lot, especially if I hit a larger stone. I've been thrown three or four times at low speed. If you are going to do a lot of gravel roads you might consider a softer (lower pressure) tire. I can't comment on wear then.
All seasons. No exceptions.

sprintexec

Postby sprintexec » Fri May 13, 2016 9:48 am

Rock solid advice, thank you for that! I'm looking to keep her on the best possible road surfaces but when we get rain small stones and grit wash into the roadways and they never get cleaned up. So taking corners and at road juctions I will need to keep my eyes peeled and full attention on the road, just in case. It seems that I have a 702 on the rear of the bike and a 709 on the front. I'm really looking forward to getting them run in and enjoying the open road. I don't know many people who would use their Wing to haul their tools around during the work week but you get the best of both worlds that way :) Thanks again, Andy

MasterDaniel904
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:57 am

(chuckle) I know I might take some garbage from the crowd about it, but I've never understood spending $15 or $20k for something you are going to use three months out of the year on weekends. "Baby" has been a work bike from day one. The first half as a commuter bike in Chicago and the suburbs (yes, year around, for whatever else you care to say about Chicago and her enverons , they get their roads cleared fast after a snow!) And the second half towing my little Harbor Freight POS trailer with a Tractor Supply box full of chemicals and tools for my House Cleaning and Small Maintenance business. 34mpg (lots of short trips in town) beats 14mpg when I borrow my dads V8 Pickup for larger jobs! And I get to feel the world every day of the year! But she does get to run cross country at least once a year. We've done Canada, a little Mexico, and all four corners of the continental US over the last 20 years! I have gone to Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix, Central TX, and Mid Kansas in one day (each), usually on my way to Seattle, Minneapolis, or Chicago on day 2. Not exactly Iron Butt, but respectable in my book!
All seasons. No exceptions.

sprintexec

Postby sprintexec » Fri May 13, 2016 11:54 am

Can't and won't fault your rationale. A pal of mine enjoys time spent in his arm chair, looking out the 'window' and listening to his favourite music selection whilst cruising along on his Wing. Use it or loose it as they say! Go well!!

mrenfro
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Postby mrenfro » Sat May 14, 2016 2:58 am

I'm running 40psi (Dunlop Elite 3) front and 50psi(Avon Venom) in rear. Works great for me on paved roads. But don't exceed max pressure rating on tire.

sprintexec

Postby sprintexec » Sat May 14, 2016 4:02 am

mrenfro wrote:I'm running 40psi (Dunlop Elite 3) front and 50psi(Avon Venom) in rear. Works great for me on paved roads. But don't exceed max pressure rating on tire.

Thank you for this insight. Does anyone have the maximum pressure rating for Bridgestone Exedra 709 and 702 tyres on a GL1500?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”