spoiler light

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
steve allen
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

spoiler light

Postby steve allen » Sun May 15, 2016 8:46 pm

can anyone give me a part number or a source to purchase an pulse module for the spoiler brake light. I saw a 1500SE the other day, when he lite brake lights up, the spoiler flashed very bright and maybe 3 or 4 flashes before remaining on. I assume mine, 94 SE is led, and a normal back-off light will not work for the spoiler. Thanks, Steve

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: spoiler light

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm

The Back-Off is LED compatible. I have one on my 97, and control the main brake lights, as well as the spoiler. All my lights are LED.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:20 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:The Back-Off is LED compatible. I have one on my 97, and control the main brake lights, as well as the spoiler. All my lights are LED.

Which Back-Off model do you have? Cyclemax carries two.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 am

I have the Back-Off XP. I actually have it wired using both functions of the device. My main tail lights flash 3-4 times and then light continuous (function 1). My spoiler flashes 4-5 times, then continuous, then repeats the flash pattern, and so on (function 2). So, after the initial flashing of all brake lights, the spoiler repeats the flash pattern as long as the brakes are activated. The mail lights are on continuous after all flash, as long as the brakes are activated. Makes for an easily visible rear end. I also added some extra LEDs to the rear end for additional brake lights. I like lots of lights when I stop. Can't have too many as far as I'm concerned. I also run their (Signal Dynamics) headlight modulator in the front. Wouldn't be without it. I'm sure it has saved me from some unwanted folks pulling out in front of me.
Links below. If you want to convert to some good quality LED brake lights in your stock fixtures, I included a link for those. Got mine at Walmart for $15 / pair. Some seem to carry them, others don't. But, that particular brand works just as bright as standard bulbs, with the benefits of greatly reduced amperage, and a more distinct flash pattern because of the rapid on/off of LEDs. No complications with turn signals (they are not in the turn circuit), or problems with the cruise circuitry. Had mine for a year or so. Work great.

NOTE: LED BRAKE bulbs must be RED to work properly. White is no good. Take my word for it.

EDIT: The LEDs for your main tail lights (4) are pretty much required, as the amperage limit (10A) of the Back-Off device is very closely approached, and maybe exceeded with 4 standard 1157 brake/tail bulbs.
If all you are doing is the spoiler, no problem. But given the capability of the Back-Off device to control all brake lights, I would highly recommend using it for all. The spoiler is probably the LEAST visible of all your rear lighting.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1613957462 ... noapp=true
Attachments

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”