Thermostat gasket

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cptech
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Thermostat gasket

Postby cptech » Tue May 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Hello fellow wing riders. First off I wanna thank this site and all who maintain and supply the wealth of knowledge here. This site has saved me MANY times over and hrs of frustration. Im hoping one more time I can rely on the knowledge of this site. I just lurchased a 90 wing and have a coolant leak on the left side as you sit on the bike, checked Everything and its not coming from up top..(im a 20 yr auto mechanic) and have been wrenching on bikes for longer. I could see coolant on top of the block on the side of the t-stat housing but couldnt EXACTLY see where it was coming from due to so many obstructions. So I bit the bullet and pulled off t-stat, there was the rubber seal around the t-stat BUT there was also a felt type gasket between housing and base and upon looking at the honda manual it shows no gasket, only the rubber seal. Just trying to find out if this felt gasket couldve been my problem if it wasnt supposed to be there. Gonna do t-stat plus upper case as I might have pinholes in the 26 yr old hard plastic, also will replace any coolant lines that look suspect. Really hope its not one of the front o-rings as I dont relish the idea of removing entire t-stat housing. Please forgive such a long post, but after wrenching for so long I wantex to be as informative as possible. Thanks again for all the help ive received over the yrs and hope someone knows if this felt gasket could be my problem.

pbourgoin
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

Re: Thermostat gasket

Postby pbourgoin » Wed May 18, 2016 7:32 am

Mine is a 93 and I only used the rubber around the t-stat, No gasket.. Could be possible the prev owner of your bike found the leak and tried putting some kind of gasket on it to fix it instead of dealing with the real problem and just left it there???
I got this Goldwing for my wife........ Good trade huh??? :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”