Major headlight problem...Now fixed (more or less!)

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Major headlight problem...Now fixed (more or less!)

Postby Mh434 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:13 am

Has anyone ever taken a GL1500 headlight completely apart?

I have a major problem - I bought & installed a set of the new Pathfinder LED headlight bulbs. Lots of light, looks good...except only one of them is aimed remotely correctly (the H-4's that came out were spot-on).

No problem, right? Unfortunately, no.

There is very little room behind the headlight assembly and the pocket in the fairing, and the new bulb assemblies have quite a bit of stuff to fit in there. During the process of trying to get the headlight assembly back in the bike, it appears that I forced the right-side bulb holder assembly deep into the headlight housing. The assembly moves, as part of the adjustment system, but now it appears it's very bent, inside the headlight, so the right side bulb shines high, and to the left. I took the headlight assembly out again, and had a look at it. The right side bulb, bulb holder, and bulb cradle is 1/2" deeper into the housing than the left side one.

I tried pulling it back up, and it feels like the whole thing is spring-loaded inside the main housing, but bent, so it won't return to its normal position. It's waaay outside the reach of the adjustment knob's range, and bent to the left, so the light pattern is very high & far left. In the dark, the right side of the road is dark - no illumination at all. Lots for low-flying aircraft to my left, though.

I'm hoping someone has an idea what the inside of the headlight assembly looks like. I can't find any pictures of it, and the assembly appears to be permanently glued shut. I did try taking a similar Kawasaki assembly apart, and eventually succeeded in breaking the glass.

Anyone have any ideas?

WingAdmin, if anyone has ever had one of these apart, it would probably be you....any insight?

Last edited by Mh434 on Fri May 20, 2016 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Major headlight problem...

Postby Mh434 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:07 am

Okay - further to that, I took it all apart...again...and tried using a little good old-fashioned brute force. While lifting the right headlight pot (inside the headlight assembly), I pushed down on the right (correctly-positioned) one. After repeating this several times, I managed to get them more or less equal.

As for the adjustment, I found an excellent write-up here: http://bobsold.goldwingfacts.com/GL1500 ... tments.pdf It explains that there are several adjustments in the headlight system (previously, unbeknownst to me!), including the ability to adjust them independently. Even high-beam height can be adjusted, independent of the low beam height. The write-up is clear & succinct - I printed it off, and took it out to the shop with me (and out on the road, for the nighttime testing & adjusting procedure) - it helped enormously!!

To do this, you'll need a long, slender, medium-sized Philips screwdriver, and a large normal-sized one. There is quite a bit of adjustability, although mine is compromised by the still-bent bracketry inside the headlight itself. In the end, I was able to get the lights reasonably well aligned.

These lights do throw a lot of light, with down-road penetration similar to halogens. They seem to be a little more tightly focused than the halogens, with a slightly tighter beam, so adjustment is a bit more crucial. The light is VERY white (my 55/60 watt halogens look dim & yellow in comparison), but I guess I didn't get them too high, as no one was flashing their lights at me in annoyance. After a run of about an hour, the heat-synchs at the rear of the lights were no more than luke warm. Apparently, they're copper (nickel plated, perhaps, as they look like braided stainless steel), and obviously seem to do the job well.

On the subject of power draw, it seems like...there isn't any! My voltmeter doesn't even register a change when flipping to high beam now, unlike the halogens. As a plus, unlike halogen lights where the low-beam filament goes out when the high-beam filament goes on, in this system the low-beam LED stays on all the time, even when the high-beam one is lit. The advantage of this is that there's no dark area just ahead of the bike when the high beams are on.

On the subject of space in the fairing's headlight pocket, I noticed a square-ish hole at the back of the pocket. I was able to shoehorn the connectors, etc. through this hole, giving more room for the headlight assembly & the heat synchs. The latter will get squished when you re-install the headlight, but I guess as long as they're expanded somewhat, they'll do the job. There ain't much room behind that headlight assembly!!!

The instructions for this kit are a little thin. There's a lot of emphasis on practicing how to remove (and replace) the LED headlight "bulb" from it's base (the round base with 3 tabs, like those on the base of a halogen bulb)...but no explanation on WHY they need to be removed! As near as I can tell, the only reason is that the big rubber boot that normally seals the headlight bulbs won't fit over either the LED bulb's thick housing, or (of course) the 3-tabbed base. Ergo, the "bulb" separates from the 3-tabbed base, to allow the rubber boot to be put in place, and the 3-tabbed base is locked into the headlight bucket separately. After these two things have been accomplished, the new LED "bulb" units are slipped into place & locked in by a few degrees of rotation.

In summation, I'd estimate there's at least a little more light than I had before (maybe a lot more - I'll need to do a longer nighttime ride to know for sure), the reach is at least as good as the halogens, the system uses a fraction of the current that halogens use, and the life span of the LED's will probably be measured in decades. The LED "bulbs" are very solidly mounted, and the bases seem extremely robust (they're surprisingly heavy, and feel like they're machined out of a block of stainless steel -beautifully made and finished - it almost seems a shame to hide them away inside the fairing!!). It's clear that a great deal of thought went into their design & construction.

One cautionary note - the round plastic "bulb" bases (with the three tabs that fit into the bulb sockets, like the bases of halogen bulbs) are a fair bit thicker than the sheet metal, and as a result the wire bales that lock the "bulbs" in place are very hard to lock. As this requires a fair bit of force, it may have contributed to the pushing in of one of the buckets in my headlight - the buckets "float", for the purposes of adjustability, and too much force will actually bend the bucket's mounts inside the headlight - I suspect that might have been the reason for my initial problem. I needed to re-profile one of the wire bales just to be able to get it to lock down the "bulb", as it got quite bent in the initial attempts.

Anyway, this has turned into kind of a review of the Pathfinder LED headlight bulbs. It was my intention to do this at a later time, after using them for a bit, but as I learned some things in the process, I thought I'd pass on some of the cautionary notes for those who purchase these lights. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the lights or the kit (aside from the scant instructions), but knowing these issues could save you a LOT of hassle down the road (sic!), and make the installation a much easier & happier experience.

ozemarketeer
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 SE with 2016 Californian Side Car (CSC) Trike Conversion
2014 Champion Colorado Sport Trailer

Re: Major headlight problem...Now fixed (more or less!)

Postby ozemarketeer » Fri May 20, 2016 7:34 am

Thank you Mh434 for a well written summation of my stress level and feeling 'how the blazes do I sort this mess out?'
It is the lack of workable (err, storage?) space behind the heat sinks that is causing me the most grief. I pulled back exerting any 'manly' pressure as I was aware that the light reflectors and its attached moving parts would not take kindly to overly forced exertion.
I wondered what the toothed gears were when searching for any minute space to put all the extra luggage my lights now own. I purposely kept the manual adjustment on the left clear as I didn't want to foul that when I eventually get a night light road test done!
I am still finding about 1/2" to 1/4" gap before the headlight housing can be seen as 'home'. I can 'feel' the resistance from the heat sinks being 'conformed' to the rear wall of the cavity, but its the extra hardware that seems to be the main culprit. I did consider pushing some of the hardware out that relief hole on the right, but that doesn't satisfy the issue of the LH side not having room to fit everything behind the light housing.
I agree with your appraisal of the light beam structure. I think Wing Admin said something similar with his inhouse review. It was that review which motivated me to get the new LED setup.
When I was testing the new LED's tonight, (against the garage door), I flicked on my halogen Driving lights (individually switched with high beam). The halogens looked positively yellow! That did surprise me.
Thanks for your write-up. I apologise that I cannot add anything positive at this time until I work out how to fit the headlight unit without damaging components, long or short term.
Honour the Dead - But Fight Like Hell for the Living

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks, Oz!

I did find that, by judiciously moving the extra bits (like the little inline boxes, headlight connectors, etc.) around, and using a bright flashlight as I got the main bucket offered up, I was able to get it to seat with nothing other than the heat synchs holding it back - I was left with a last 1/4" gap, or so, solely attributable to the flexible heat synchs. Everything else, with the exception of the left side connector, went into the hole behind the right (from the rider's perspective) headlight. I had to wiggle that last connector as I fitted the light so as to utilize a small corner of extra space.

I did have some concerns about how much the heat synchs were squished (almost flat), but they don't seem to get very warm at all, and WingAdmin's testing showed the same, so I'm hoping it will all be fine.

I'm still glad I did it, though!

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon May 23, 2016 1:25 am

MH434, I have what is left of my headlight after a deer strike, lense is broken but the rest is intact if you want it for parts. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

ozemarketeer

Postby ozemarketeer » Mon May 23, 2016 3:33 am

Took Voyager out for a night light test run. I am absolutely stoked!!! The low beam exceeds all expectations (no, I am not exaggerating!) and the high beam? WOW! There was a dark gap to the front of the Wing and to the sides of the road. The fixed cornering lights helped a bit, but when I flicked on the Halogen spots/driving lights . . . it was slam misere! (for all the right reasons). I cannot recommend these LED's strongly enough as night riding lights. For a daytime running light, you WILL get noticed. Also, if the hip pocket allows, upgrade the positioning lights from the same mob. The front of the Wing now looks like the 9:10 from Tulsa. Once I fit the air horns, the effect will be complete.
Many thanks to Wing Admin for the top review. This one is right on the money for non professionals like me. And a top high five to Mh434. Your contribution got me off my butt of despair, and motivated me to re-evaluate the way I was forcing the headlamp unit to 'fit'.
To those contemplating fitting these 'new' LED headlights, and if the time is right to spend the dollar, do it! Take your time setting them up for fitting. Make sure the rubber boot is fully settled before attempting to engage the LED body into the base unit. Also, if you have access to some heavy duty copper wire, or a metal clothes hanger, make a hook from it and use it to pull through the leads and ballast from behind, where the rectangular opening is on the right hand side behind the headlamp housing space. Mh434 suggested using a strong lamp. That will help locate the bits and pieces hidden by the headlamp bulkiness.
Goldwing docs (Wing Admin) and the many Goldwing contributors have made this site the 'go to' for all things Wing.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue May 24, 2016 6:51 pm

Which LEDS were these?
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

ozemarketeer

Postby ozemarketeer » Tue May 24, 2016 6:57 pm

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue May 24, 2016 11:12 pm

I seen those lights a few weeks back. Interesting how the braided wire is used as a heat sink. I wonder how well that cooling system works in the hot desert tho I'm sure it's been tested.
I haven't seen the directions so I assume the 3 braids need to be fanned out. So now I'm curious how much moving air there is behind the headlight.

Someday when Lotto finds me, I'll give them a shot. :)
SPEAKING of Lotto, I got a call from them today to call back. :shock:
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

ozemarketeer

Postby ozemarketeer » Wed May 25, 2016 12:05 am

*holding breath* . . . Well?

Yep, fan out the heat braids, although they are is hard contact with the rear of headlight unit & cavity.
The opening at the rear of the cavity is open to the fairing environment, above the front fender. So yes, it would be impacted by air and (to a lesser extent) road temperature, but no more than other electrical componentry. Wing Admin and Mh434 were both comfortable with the measured heat rating. Whilst 49C is uncomfortable for humans, there should not be a detrimental impact on the LEDs, their ballast or heat sinks.

Good luck with the Lotto people. They only ever call me to update my card details. It's a one way street with me and them!

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed May 25, 2016 8:21 am

ozemarketeer wrote:*holding breath* . . . Well?

Yep, fan out the heat braids, although they are is hard contact with the rear of headlight unit & cavity.
The opening at the rear of the cavity is open to the fairing environment, above the front fender. So yes, it would be impacted by air and (to a lesser extent) road temperature, but no more than other electrical componentry. Wing Admin and Mh434 were both comfortable with the measured heat rating. Whilst 49C is uncomfortable for humans, there should not be a detrimental impact on the LEDs, their ballast or heat sinks.

Good luck with the Lotto people. They only ever call me to update my card details. It's a one way street with me and them!

AHHHhh I remember now. It's rare I go there since picking up long lasting $1.47 cheap H4's.
The fairing does have holes behind the headlights for access, I take it the braids are or could be pulled through said holes?

Lotto: Called to say keep the money deposited in my account. WOW! :mrgreen:

ozemarketeer

Postby ozemarketeer » Wed May 25, 2016 8:44 am

The braided heat sinks (3 attached to each base), which are heavy duty and doubled, remain scrunched up between the fairing headlight and cavity wall. The are too short and bulky to take advantage of the openings for space relief. In fact, when relocating the headlight unit, you will have to apply pressure to get the heat sinks to 'mould' themselves between the fairing wall and unit.
The leads and ballasts can be manipulated through the rh opening in the rear wall. Otherwise, it is next to impossible to relocate the headlamp unit without causing stress damage to the unit. Check out what happened to Mh434.
I will be doing a 3k (1800ml) run on the Wing in the next few weeks which will entail riding over our rough country roads; lots of night running (almost winter in Oz) with rain, drizzle and possibly snow. See how the lights and ballasts hold up in those conditions (as well as this Vietnam Veteran!).

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed May 25, 2016 9:00 am

That tight? wow.
I suppose if they're that good one could use a heat gun and soften the plastic behind the lights then push it rearward a little. There's a fair amount of space between the fairing and T-Trees. Would a mere 1/4 - 1/2 inch suffice?

I hear the road tar snakes move in your country. (real snakes)
In my travels the past 15 years, I have not seen a snake cross the road, dead or alive.

Take care on that trip.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:53 am

A 1/2" would indeed make a difference. The main area where it's tight is directly in line with the "bulbs" themselves - a bit to either side is okay. As there are three heat synchs on each bulb, it's only the ones in the middle that get squashed & try to keep the headlight from fully seating.

My main problem was that, as I fitted the headlight back in initially, I didn't take enough care to ensure the hard connector blocks & "black boxes" were up & out of the way sufficiently. Pushing it this way and that probably didn't cause the damage I had - it was more likely from trying to force the wire bales that hold the bulb adapters into place.

So my advice is...if you find the headlight seems to be coming up against something hard, and is still an inch or two short of seating, STOP! Re-arrange the connectors, black boxes, wiring, etc., and when you're to the point where the headlight seats easily except for 1/4" or so (and this 1/4" sort of spongy), you've got it all right. If you just keep pushing gently at that point, wiggling the light around, it will seat with little pressure, and you can button it all up.

TAZZ
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda GL1500se
1968 Honda CL350 Scramble,
1970Honda 750k,1976 Suzuki GT550,
1979 Kawasaki 1000st, 1983 Suzuki GS1150se
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
1981 Honda CBX (not for sale)
1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade 1994 Yamaha700

Postby TAZZ » Wed May 25, 2016 11:04 am

Mh434 Do you have any pictures so we can see the right way to this with so much stress I was going to order this lights from cyclemax but if you guys are going through all that STRESS just to install two LED lights I think I pass.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed May 25, 2016 11:08 am

TAZZ wrote:Mh434 Do you have any pictures so we can see the right way to this with so much stress I was going to order this lights from cyclemax but if you guys are going through all that STRESS just to install two LED lights I think I pass.

As we figure the space needed, it's not that bad.
He's giving a heads up on what to watch for. It's these kinds of minor details MFG don't mention due to many different applications.
Detailed info from someone who installed 'X' is near priceless. ;)

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:57 am

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, and there's really not enough room between the headlight assembly & the fairing to get a camera in there.

Installation is, in reality, quite simple and easy. My problem was that I rushed it. If you take your time, use a bright flashlight so you can see what, if anything, is causing blockages as you go, and re-arrange the bits behind the headlight as required, it shouldn't be a problem. I was in a hurry (I needed the bike for an arranged group ride), and didn't take the care I should have - I was the author of my own misfortune.

Here's all you need to know for installation to go without the pitfalls I experienced:

1) Don't force the wire bales down (the ones that normally hold bulb bases into the headlight buckets) - support the buckets with a screwdriver or similar to prevent forcing the buckets down into the headlight assembly. At the time, I wasn't aware that these buckets are designed to be able to move inside the assembly. In my frustration, I forced the one of the bales closed (the other one went easily - it turns out that the difficult one had been bent out of shape by a previous owner, so the difficult one didn't hook into place without force), and bent things. Once I figured out to support the bucket while doing up the bale, it went fine.

2) Take your time. As you install the headlight assembly in the fairing, if something's blocking it, pull it back out a little & figure out what it was (i.e. - don't try to force it in, at all), juggle the parts around, and try it again. Each bike will be slightly different, probably, but it WILL go, with no force except for a gentle push the last 1/4" or so.

In my case, I was able to get both the black boxes (part of the new "bulbs" wiring) into the hole in the back of the fairing pocket. This meant that only the connector plugs were loose in that area and, once I figured out where I wanted those, it was (as they say in "Old Blighty") a doddle.

Honestly, armed with all of this information, the installation of these lights for others should be as easy as replacing an original H4 bulb. I kind of "broke ground", and made pretty much every error there was to make, but I got there. Knowing all of the above info, it should be a snap, not even worth being concerned about.

And, after using the lights for a few night rides now, it was still, REALLY worth the expense & troubles.

Hope that helps!

TAZZ
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda GL1500se
1968 Honda CL350 Scramble,
1970Honda 750k,1976 Suzuki GT550,
1979 Kawasaki 1000st, 1983 Suzuki GS1150se
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
1981 Honda CBX (not for sale)
1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade 1994 Yamaha700

Postby TAZZ » Wed May 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Thank, Mh434 that help

ozemarketeer

Postby ozemarketeer » Wed May 25, 2016 7:08 pm

TAZZ wrote:Thank, Mh434 that help

Thanks from downunder also Mh434. As I said earlier, your writeup made a considerable difference to how I approached this issue.
Took a couple of snaps with the black boxes dangling from the rear of the headlight access hole. Difficult to see but hopefully might give some idea of how it looks

This is looking at the rh side

This is from the front looking up

Best of luck and take your time. The finished product is truly worth the effort.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:14 am

Well, more news on the headlight front.

I found that the adjustment was waaaay out on my lights at night - the cutoff for the low beams was only 36' ahead of the bike (far too low) with the adjustment range for height maxed out. Conversely, the high beams were far too high, not even striking the ground, but hitting tree tops instead. Again, this was with the high beam height adjuster turned as low as it would go.

I took the entire thing apart again, and found that 1) the moveable pot inside the right headlight was back to being 1/4" deeper in the headlight assembly than the left one, and well outside the maximum adjustment range of the assembly. Unfortunately, it was the right side I had the most trouble with (doing up the wire bale that holds the LED "bulb" in place), and it's the right side that is virtually unsupported inside the headlight. There is a sheet-metal piece inside the headlight that makes the two sides adjust up & down, and it appears to be only anchored on the left side, so once the right side is bent (and pulling it back out doesn't help - it just springs right back in again), there appears to be no alternative but to buy an entire new headlight assembly. There's no point in re-installing the halogens again either, as it still isn't possible to adjust the lights properly, regardless of what bulbs are used.

Left side bucket depth (correct, I believe) -

Right side bucket depth (1/4" deeper) -

The other thing I noticed was that one of the "bulbs" seemed dimmer than the other. When I took it all apart again, I found that one of the LED's had melted & turned black. It was still emitting, but only a portion of it was throwing light -

I've sent an email to Cyclemax about these issues. I'm sure they'll help me out with the melted-LED issue (I'm sure these will be on warranty, as I only ordered them 4 weeks ago), but needing an entire headlight assembly will be the thorny issue. It may be possible for me to source one locally, but I doubt it (there aren't many GL1500's in these parts - lots of GL1800's, though), so I may be in trouble. I have a major group ride coming up in a few weeks - too soon to order a replacement headlight (in Canada, ordering anything from the US takes a month or more to arrive).

Color me frustrated.

ozemarketeer

Postby ozemarketeer » Mon May 30, 2016 3:42 am

Mh434 wrote:Well, more news on the headlight front.

I found that the adjustment was waaaay out on my lights at night - the cutoff for the low beams was only 36' ahead of the bike (far too low) with the adjustment range for height maxed out. Conversely, the high beams were far too high, not even striking the ground, but hitting tree tops instead. Again, this was with the high beam height adjuster turned as low as it would go.

I took the entire thing apart again, and found that 1) the moveable pot inside the right headlight was back to being 1/4" deeper in the headlight assembly than the left one, and well outside the maximum adjustment range of the assembly. Unfortunately, it was the right side I had the most trouble with (doing up the wire bale that holds the LED "bulb" in place), and it's the right side that is virtually unsupported inside the headlight. There is a sheet-metal piece inside the headlight that makes the two sides adjust up & down, and it appears to be only anchored on the left side, so once the right side is bent (and pulling it back out doesn't help - it just springs right back in again), there appears to be no alternative but to buy an entire new headlight assembly. There's no point in re-installing the halogens again either, as it still isn't possible to adjust the lights properly, regardless of what bulbs are used.

Left side bucket depth (correct, I believe) -
IMG_0916.JPG

Right side bucket depth (1/4" deeper) -

IMG_0915.JPG

The other thing I noticed was that one of the "bulbs" seemed dimmer than the other. When I took it all apart again, I found that one of the LED's had melted & turned black. It was still emitting, but only a portion of it was throwing light -
IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

I've sent an email to Cyclemax about these issues. I'm sure they'll help me out with the melted-LED issue (I'm sure these will be on warranty, as I only ordered them 4 weeks ago), but needing an entire headlight assembly will be the thorny issue. It may be possible for me to source one locally, but I doubt it (there aren't many GL1500's in these parts - lots of GL1800's, though), so I may be in trouble. I have a major group ride coming up in a few weeks - too soon to order a replacement headlight (in Canada, ordering anything from the US takes a month or more to arrive).

Color me frustrated.

OUCH! Crikey mate, you have certainly had a serve with a raw prawn!
Wasn't there an earlier offer for a replacement headlight unit from one of the Group's members if you required it?
I did notice that my high beam 'skipped' ahead and that is why I was chuffed with the driving lights filling the dark patch. Both sides of the road and tree branches are illuminated, but I need more night riding on our local roads before I adjust the high beam throw. (Something I have never attempted before, so learning curve approaching!)
Sorry to read about the faulty LED. I expect Cyclemax to stand behind the product, but it's the time spent pulling everything apart to replace the faulty LED that is the the pain in the butt.
I wish you well with this ongoing exercise and that your experience with a crook LED is the only one we need to know about.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:17 am

Well, as my friends all say...if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! Seriously, if anything can go wrong, it'll go wrong for me. I suspect no one else will have these troubles!

I'm considering trying to pry the headlight apart. There are clips around the outside that look like they hold the assembly together, but I'm sure the glass is also glued on securely. My thinking is that, if I could get the glass off, I might be able to straighten out the bent part inside, but I've never heard of anyone successfully separating one, and Honda doesn't offer a gasket or anything, so re-assembly & waterproofing might be problematic. Assuming, of course, that a) I can get it apart, and b) I don't break the glass in the process.

I've also notified Tim at SoCalMotoGear regarding the faulty LED. He was quick to get back to me on the instruction sheet issue, so I expect to hear back from him fairly quickly.

ozemarketeer

Postby ozemarketeer » Mon May 30, 2016 4:30 am

Might be worth a look mate.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:46 am

Thank you!! That's pretty cool (well, hot!) information!

It's interesting that the glue softens at a lower temperature than the plastic light housing, so the housing doesn't get damaged- that was one of my concerns. I did try this with a Kawasaki headlight (but without the oven, just using a heat gun) & I couldn't get even enough heat to make it work. As long as my wife's away at work, I should be able to use the oven... :roll:

If I can't find another headlight assembly, I'm going to give this a try!!

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon May 30, 2016 7:40 am

Thinking and doodling. . .
Using glue or epoxy maybe to permanent.
Screws?
(see pix with enhanced inset showing curve)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”