Rain Rain Go Away!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
khspe2
Motorcycle: 1991 Gold Wing GL1500SE

Rain Rain Go Away!

Postby khspe2 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:07 am

Around the first week of April, I usually start to do maintenance on my 91GL1500SE. This year, I planned on just changing my rear tire. But....
it rained. So I replaced the rear wheel bearings. But... it continued to rain. So I replaced the final drive dampers and seals. But... it continued to rain. So I changed the fluid in my rear final drive. But.. it continued to rain. So I replaced my rear pads and rotor. But....continued to rain. So I replaced the sub air filter, the spark plugs, the desiccant in the compressor, cruise filter, fuel filter, polished it...WHEN THE #### IS THE RAIN GOING TO STOP?

Here it is May 23, and I am still waiting to ride the bike.

Giving credit where it is definitely due, the one with the most patience in dealing with all of this rain (and maintenance) is my wife. For almost two months, she put up with the ever expanding maintenance program - the messy garage, the motorcycle parts in the kitchen and on the kitchen table and even in the den (polishing parts while watching MASH reruns on METV.

Anybody else note how rainy it has been?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Rain Rain Go Away!

Postby themainviking » Mon May 23, 2016 1:41 pm

We have had almost no rain since the beginning of April. It has been marvelous for riding. I had a one day ride in the rain back from a run to Port Dover for the Friday 13th of May, and it was not the most pleasurable of rides, but that happens. All the remainder of my riding has been done in sunshine since I took the bike out first week of April.

Sorry for your luck. I live a bit further inland, and the coast has been inundated, but not us.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon May 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Everyday I sit on the beach the weather is beautiful there's nice breeze blowing through the palm trees . It is never rains, it never snows. Buy some rain gear it's a great day to ride

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon May 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Rain hasn't been as much a problem as other chores just needing done. Seems like if the mower doesn't need something, the grass needs mowing.
I need to take down some rain gutters and put up new facer boards which will then need to be painted.
Mom and dads 20+ year old 220 volt Sears air conditioner, built into the wall has give up the ghost. Got to replace that. The house needs work. And I need a long, long ride away from it all for at least a little while. :D
That is, after the grass gets mowed and I get the cycle running again. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Mon May 23, 2016 9:19 pm

I hate to rub salt in the wound but here in NE Florida we ride all year. It's been really nice here except for a couple of days of rain. Hope you get out there soon.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue May 24, 2016 8:29 am

Oh I'd like to ride to the Florida Keys right after Christmas and sometime in January. When the weather here sucks and sunshine and warm beaches start looking so darn irresistible! :D
I'll get down there one of these days.

On another note, I hauled a load to Miami a few years ago. I was surprised I was able to sleep in the truck with the windows down and not get ate up by mosquitoes. Are the beaches bug free?
:lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Tue May 24, 2016 11:52 am

Mower needs fixed, grass needs cut on and on and on. You need to get your priorities stright. All that will still be there when you get back, maybe not your wife, kids and job but hey you can't have everything

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue May 24, 2016 12:38 pm

The job is gone. I'm supposed to be retired. The mower and grass, as well as the house, are mom and dads. But he's got Alzheimer's disease and mom can't handle him alone when he gets angry or falls down.
My wife's got her bluff in on him and he minds her pretty good, so I can take off on a trip every now and then.
But here lately it seems moms gears are starting to slip. This may be my last summer for any long distance riding, at least for a little while.
Right now keeping dad in his own home is the priority. :)

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Tue May 24, 2016 1:04 pm

And here in Oman I have put the bikes away cause it's too hot. 110 degrees farenheit. It's unbelieveble......... Off to UK next weekend and into France on the Wing.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue May 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Too bad about the too hot weather, but it sounds like you're going make up for it in a grand fashion. :D

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue May 24, 2016 6:41 pm

khspe2 wrote:Around the first week of April, I usually start to do maintenance on my 91GL1500SE. This year, I planned on just changing my rear tire. But....it rained.... rain.... rian....rain... rain.
Anybody else note how rainy it has been?

:( Sounds like it's time to move.

. . . . . OR

:lol:

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”