Front brake caliper-stripped keeper pin head

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
godsen
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Front brake caliper-stripped keeper pin head

Postby godsen » Wed May 25, 2016 10:33 pm

So..... I'm changing my front brake pads. Going pretty well until I try to unscrew the second pad keeper pin on the left side. Its clearly very tight ( or seized), and I've managed to strip the Allen-type head of the pin.
What fun.
I had to apply a tremendous amount of torque on the first one, but it suddenly made a loud snap and came loose. Not so on the second one. I've now put some WD-40 on it, but even if that does help I expect I wont be able to get enough torque on it to get it out.

Any thoughts/suggestions, or am I going to be forced to buy a new caliper?

Thanks,
Grant

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front brake caliper-stripped keeper pin head

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 25, 2016 10:45 pm

godsen wrote:So..... I'm changing my front brake pads. Going pretty well until I try to unscrew the second pad keeper pin on the left side. Its clearly very tight ( or seized), and I've managed to strip the Allen-type head of the pin.
What fun.
I had to apply a tremendous amount of torque on the first one, but it suddenly made a loud snap and came loose. Not so on the second one. I've now put some WD-40 on it, but even if that does help I expect I wont be able to get enough torque on it to get it out.

Any thoughts/suggestions, or am I going to be forced to buy a new caliper?

Thanks,
Grant

WD-40 isn't the greatest penetrating oil. My old standby is PB-Blaster, applied several times over a couple of days. Then give it another try.

If it's stripped out so badly you can't get the allen key to grab, you could try a stripped screw remover:

There are many different types, but they all have a common "left hand grab" type flute on them, that grabs tighter the more pressure you apply to it.

You will, however, have to replace the allen screw, so you might want to get a new one (or two) in advance - they will set you back $7 each:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... %20CALIBER

Item 27, part number 45215-KA3-732

godsen

Postby godsen » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 pm

Thanks WingAdmin. I'll be trying both... cheap at 10X the price given that a whole new caliper assembly is over $400... AND I'm in Canada so that's $1,000 bucks to me!... just kidding, but still north of $500.

Where do you think would be the best place to find the screw removers? Tool supply outlet or auto parts store?

godsen

Postby godsen » Wed May 25, 2016 11:38 pm

BTW...
I'm sure it helps to use the right tool in the first place. For anyone else following this, the keeper pins don't take an Allen wrench. I took a closer look at the one I did get out, and lo and behold I find out it's one of those star-shaped jobs- biggest one I have is a T-30 and it's a little bigger than that.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu May 26, 2016 12:39 am

I had the same issue with my GL1500 front left caliper about ten years ago. the pad pin bolt was stuck tight and I rounded out the socket head hole with a wrench. The pad pin bolt has a beveled seat (tapered base) and because of that it sticks in place pretty good, especially when too much torque is applied on the installation.

I got mine out by drilling out the head of the pad pin. If I remember correctly, I used a drill bit that jut would fit into the socket head hole. The socket head part of the pad pin bolt is an excellent guide for the drill since it is manufactured dead center on the shaft. When I got to the base of the socket head and started to contact the shaft of the pad pin, the head just popped right off onto the drill bit.

It was a simple matter to rotate the pad pin by hand out of its respective hole. The threads were good, it was the base of the pad pin bolt head that was stuck tight to its seat.

Hopefully, yours will be just as easy.

By thew way, I was sweating bullets as I was drilling. I could just see the size of the bill for a new caliper. I was worried for nothing.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Thu May 26, 2016 7:46 am

This past winter I had to drill out one of my pins. Used the easy out tool that you showed to get the other pin out, but the other pin would not come out. Ended with a striped hole from the easy out and could not get any to grab. Ended up drilling the head and then having to retap the hole. All that it cost me was the new pin and my time. Took about an hour to do the job. Had the tap set, so didn't need to by.

godsen

Postby godsen » Thu May 26, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks guys, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one thzt b as had this problem. I had considered the possibility of having to drill so also nice to hear I may be able to do that with a successful result.
Will update on the outcome. Hopefully that wont be a short sentence saying "Had to order a new freakin' caliper..."
Later,
Grant

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu May 26, 2016 7:47 pm

IF you're still working on that pin, use vise grips on the inside where the pads go, extra torque said Peter.

Using a drift punch slam that pin alternating both sides will loosen it a little. Aluminum is soft, as we know, careful.

Many times a propane torch the pin to dull cherry red (expand the steel pin) then when cool shrinks allowing some movement in the threads. Compresses the rust or oxidation.
While Aluminum is hot, cool the steel with ice further shrinks the steel.

That's how we insert a new cylinder sleeve in an interference block. Dry ice and WORK REALLY-REALLY FAST.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

godsen

Postby godsen » Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks FM. Just can't get onto it down in there with the vice grips.

Well, I've tried everything but the heating suggestions from FM... worked on it for hours... sprayed the PB Blaster, drilled a bunch and even busted a drill bit,ruined a bolt remover and bent the s**t out of a slot screwdriver- hasn't budged and there's hardly even any material left in the threads of the caliper. I suspect I've also probably screwed up several of those threads near the outside.

So.... I believe im going to have to order a new freakin' caliper tomorrow.

Thanks for your help folks.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri May 27, 2016 12:25 am

. . . DARN. I feel for you.
Hate hearing bad news. MAYBE a nights sleep and it'll pop out in the morning.

There's about 8 threads on that pin, destroying even 1/2 it will be serviceable.
The pads 2 ears sit in a pocket and takes the breaking stress (thought mini vise grips could reach).

Like all here say drill close to threads, I also have done this.
SUGGESTION:
Drill out, then use a jigsaw blade to cut twice (180 degree apart) through what's left ONLY the depth of threads.
There will be room for threads to pop out. There will be plenty of threads to hold a pin.
Last edited by FM-USA on Fri May 27, 2016 6:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri May 27, 2016 1:47 am

Really sorry to hear that you are having so much difficulty. I'm still thinking that drilling is the way to go but the drill has to be small enough so as not to contact the threads in the caliper. The end of that pin where it meets the thread is all the further the drill bit needs to go and the pin should separate from the threaded portion of the pin. At that point, the threaded portion should be very easy to remove from the caliper. The head of that pin is shaped like a socket headed set screw and it has a shaft on the end of it. What is sticking, or at least what I have seen as the main contributing factor is the taper on the base of that threaded head of the pin. Once that part is separated from the shaft, it should all be free. Good luck guy.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

godsen

Postby godsen » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Happy update!
As a last ditch effort I took the caliper into Valley Speed & Machine and Trvor there did a proper job of drilling out the old pin and re-tapping the threads. So didnt have to get a new one after all! $61.00 tax in. Yee-haw!
BTW
I suspect it wasnt me that buggered that pin in the first place. The rear and front right pads still had lots of meat on them (I changed them anyway, and flushed all the fluid) but this front left was just about gone. So it would appear the PO, or his mechanic, couldnt get the pin out and just left it. Nice...

Have it all back together and all seems to be working as it should. The new pads don't seem to be quite as sticky as they should be, but I assume that will improve as they get bedded in.
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. Its nice to know that theres somewhere to turn for help if one runs into trouble.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Excellent. Glad to see you got it taken care of with no major expenditures. Great job.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:59 pm

HOO-AHH! ... IT'S FIXED

now.... GO RIDE.

godsen

Postby godsen » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:15 pm

..... oh yeah! .....

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”