Air decrease button intermittent

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Air decrease button intermittent

Postby golden highway » Thu May 26, 2016 8:00 pm

My air decrease button works when it cold outside. When the weather warms up it stops working. I have taken it apart, ohemed out the the switch and wires and they seem ok but usually starts working at some point during testing. I can't find a broken wire or faulty switch. I am a bit puzzled. Since it starts working when I am testing things it makes it a bit difficult. In warm weather it never stays working. Why would it work when it's cold outside and not when it's war .

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Air decrease button intermittent

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri May 27, 2016 2:20 am

This is common on some 1800 switches.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33391

Some are just rubbish cheap design, not bad design.

It has been a loooooooong time since I was at school, but it relates to kinetic molecular theory, as a metal warms, it gives the atoms more kinetic energy so that they can move farther apart, has it gets cold the contacts in the switch contract just enough to cause intermittent contact, a bit like this.

No amount of cleaning will change the laws of physics.

I am fed up with Mickey Mouse quality of said switches on acclaimed flagship tourer, and will not replace crap with crap. If/when I were you, I would throw what ever is behind the on/off/on rocker in the bin where it belongs and fit a pair of micro switches behind the switch cover, connect one to 'up' and one to 'down' wiring. there are a plethora to choose from,

and many methods of fixing them. Then when you operate the air switch it will make contact with something that did not cost a quid a gross, and will make contact with what is behind it
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”