'88 GL1500 Starts - but wont keep running!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
USAFmjscott
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500A with a California Side Car Friendship III (2 seater!)

'88 GL1500 Starts - but wont keep running!

Postby USAFmjscott » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Hello Wingers!

I have been part of this forum for about a year now, and I don't believe I have fully introduced myself. I bought an 88 Wing with a 2-seater CSC - sweet RIG - love to take my two boys everywhere (they are 8 and 5) - and they love it.

I want to say THANK YOU for all the really smart folks on here - as I have done a TON of work on my own! New alternator, battery, back speakers, new windshield, bled brakes/clutch, oil change, coolant flush, fixed minor electrical issues, replaced my dash lights, etc... Just an awesome resource! Thank you all again! :D

I also read that the timing belts need to be changed ASAP, and that there would be carb issues at _some_ point - so after a year of owning the bike (It only has 15,000 miles on it!!!!) - I decided it was time to get some real work done on it. So... I did some research and found a fellow here locally that works on older Wings and had him do: rebuild the carbs, new timing belts, synchro the carbs, lube the rear spline / shaft, new fuel lines/filter, and while all the tupperware was off - switch out the filters (subair, cruise, oil, fuel, etc...).

HOWEVER - now that everything is all back together again - he has done some prelim testing - and the bike will start - but won't stay running. He believes there is an OPEN SHORT - but I thought I would consult the team here....

Here are the details:

All the basics are covered (I have been reading the forums here for the past 2 days):
- Alternator is new and charging - plenty of cranking power / lights when the key is turned
- Battery is new and working fine
- Kickstand is up
- Fuel lines/filter are new
- Gas is REC 90 - NON-Ethanol only (been doing this since I got the bike 1 yr ago - sea foam occassionally too)
- Sparkplugs changed
- Timing belts new - and triple checked - timing is SPOT ON.
- Bike turns over no problem...
- Gas squirts out of those '88 carbs - no problem (the recall was done on my bike by Honda - for the carbs issue)
- Fuel Actuator is new
- PETCOCK has not been changed
- Auto Fuel Valve not checked yet
- We are getting spark (I'm not sure if ALL spark plugs have been checked - but we are getting spark as the bike is firing)

Here's where it gets a bit wonky:

NOTE: The bike is not fully put together at all: no filter on top of the carbs, *a few of the hoses are not hooked up* (maybe 2-4 hoses are just hanging?), timing belt cover is still off,
- In order to start the bike - the choke needs to be FULL OPEN. (Before the work - I always needed to 1/2 open the choke to get er started, but after it warmed-up, no choke needed.)
- The bike will crank over - but it pops/sputters out of the carbs, sounds like no power, and then only runs for about 5-10 seconds and just quits.
- He (mechanic) believes that there is an electrical problem because the bike starts but won't stay running - "Like the bike is shutting down the spark".
- He checked the kill-switch, and it is working fine
- He checked the COIL: (I can only describe what he showed me - as I am not a technical genius - so here goes): I saw 1 Coil above the carbs on the right side - and when the bike is turned on (lights are on, dash is on) - he checks for power on BOTH TERMINALS of the coil. He is using one of those electrical testers that lights up in the handle when he touches the pointy-end on a terminal. :) BOTH are receiving power. He is telling me that this proves there is an OPEN SHORT somewhere - that Ground is making it back to the other side of the coil..? He is telling me that one side of the COIL should have POWER, and the other side should be GROUND.
- Also - how he tested the kill switch - was by touching the COIL with the tester - and then flipping the kill switch OFF - then the power on the COIL goes OFF. So - "kill switch is good".

1 Additional note:
- Someone spent quite a bit of time wiring things to the bike - I have lights that go around the saddle bags, lights inside the sidecar, and lights on the front. The lights on the front (basically an after-market set of FOG LIGHTS) have never really worked. I traced the wiring back to a couple extra relays under the right-side fairing pocket - but could never get BOTH lights to light-up. I always *thought* that there was an OPEN Short in there somewhere. So - we disconnected the power to the switch for ALL OF THESE extra lights - NO DIFFERENCE.

Finally - the mechanic is planning to check the ECM / DIODES / RELAYS tomorrow to figure out which one is possibly causing the open short. In the mean-time, I gave him the Clymer Manual I bought - to assist him with the trouble-shooting....

Ok - so what am I missing? How exactly DO those COILS WORK? Is that test of the COIL a correct test? Could this issue be because he has simply not hooked all the hoses up? Or is this something completely unrelated? Could the bike run fine with 2-4 hoses off?

Help me OB1.... :)

"Dammit Jim - I'm a Doctor - not a GL1500 Genius" -Bones
:geek:

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: '88 GL1500 Starts - but wont keep running!

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Hook up all your vacuum hoses correctly and try again.

Make sure the coil and plug leads are correctly oriented.

good luck

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:21 am

The ground side of coils will be lit with key on, it will only blink when cranking over or engine running. Normal.

Sounds like a fuel problem as evidenced by having to now use the choke differently. Check that the fuel pump has power and runs for for the 2 second prime unique to the 88-89 years when key is turned to run, pump will also be powered and run with engine cranking over or running. Disconnected vacuum hoses can affect operation of vacuum petcock not allowing full fuel flow. If those items check out re-visit carb work.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

USAFmjscott

Postby USAFmjscott » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:06 am

Awesome - thank you both - will try these suggestions today.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:29 am

Then ask him what he means by an "open short". Contradictory terms. Hmmm? I suspect a fuel problem also. Loose hoses?? Depends on which hoses are loose. No way to know with info provided.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

USAFmjscott

Re: '88 GL1500 Starts - but wont keep running! (resolved)

Postby USAFmjscott » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to update everyone on what happened! So after all of your recommendations – he decided to go back and look at all the changes he made first – which started with the timing belt replacement. Come to find out, the trigger was advanced too far – so SPARK was off, and that was creating a misfire and lack of power. Plus – we hooked up all of the hoses!

Once he corrected that – the bike fired up – no choke required – and purrrrrrred like a kitten!

On the drive home – I noted how the bike is completely different – meaning it has smooth and extraordinary power, and the RPMs are much lower at higher speeds. It's like a brand-new bike! I am really looking forward to going on a longer rides on my Wing instead of my Harley now!

Thanks again all!

Next up: I purchased a ton of chrome, voltmeter, cigarette/USB port - and planning to update the bike!

I'll send pictures - here's some "before" pictures:

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:22 am

Well done,

Glad it was an easy problem to resolve and fix - and that the bike now works like it should.

Look forward to seeing some after pictures..

:)

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:31 am

I thought the trigger wheel on those were keyed? Anyway, nice Martini Beige :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”